Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks! I tried that and hackintosh froze on the Apple logo.

Then I noticed photoanalysisd consuming high CPU and after that GPU error messages appear in log. So I moved my iPhoto library and freezes now gone!

Seems photoanalysisd (and mediaanalysisd) are the causes of the freezes. This is really weird - they were working before. Do you guys know how to switch them off completely? I tried "launchctl unload -w..." but they come back!
There was a bug in one of the earlier version of Monterey that caused this problem for nearly everyone. Apple fixed it shortly thereafter. So I’m curious why this has crept up again…

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've recently started having issues with kernel panics relating to what seems to be my WD Black SN750 drive. My build was super stable up until about a week or so ago, and I hadn't run any updates to OC or macOS. Does anyone have any ideas of what to try/test? I've done a bunch of searching, but most people who have this issue are using Samsung drives known to cause issues and have had their issue fixed by switching to the same drive I have. I tried a fresh install using this guide (like I did when I built the system), with no other drives installed, and then updated to OC 0.8.3 and still had the issue. If you need more of the error report, I can post it, but I've copied the first part at the bottom.

My build:
Z490 Vision D Bios F6
32GB Corsiar Dominator Platinum 3466MHz
RX 5700XT - Gigabyte
1TB WD Black SN750

panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff80216d0860): nvme: "Fatal error occurred. CSTS=0xffffffff US[1]=0x0 US[0]=0xb1 VID=0x15b7 DID=0x5006
. FW Revision=111110WD\n"@/System/Volumes/Data/SWE/macOS/BuildRoots/880a0f6e74/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/IONVMeFamily/IONVMeFamily-557.120.1/Common/IONVMeController.cpp:5499

Hi all, and @CaseySJ

I used to work with VideoProc Converter 4K enjoying the full harware acceleration on my previous Mac.
Unfortunately on this setup i discovered that my Gigabytes RX 5700 XT is not detected.
Any idea?
This would work much faster and avoid the CPU going up to 100°C!
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 12.12.28.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 12.12.28.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks for being the guinea pigs, @canyondust and @lightmanrt.

I can confirm that my Vision D Z490 is working fine with BIOS F21 and TB3 hot plug working as expected and as did on F5. Boot time does seem faster.

Running 11.6.1, iMac20,2, Sapphire 5700 XT, and an OWC TB3 Dock.

Have not tried any stress tests with Pro Apps such as FCPX/Adobe CC. However, I will advise if any issues.

Rest of My Build:
TP-Link 401 10G Ethernet Card
Fenvi T-919
4 Port Marvell SATA Hub
WD Black OS Drive
WD Green W10 Drive
Samsung 970 Plus 2TB Scratch Disk
6x8tb Seagate Ironwolfs running in a RAID 1+0 Softraid Array
I have a z490 VD with f21 BIOS and having issues. If I am reading correctly, you started with F5 and UG'd to F21?

There was a bug in one of the earlier version of Monterey that caused this problem for nearly everyone. Apple fixed it shortly thereafter. So I’m curious why this has crept up again…
That may be a BIOS related issue. Have you checked if Above 4G Decoding and/or ResizeableBar has been enabled?

Thank you guys for the hints!

So what I did (and it helped in the end)
1) I created a new user on the hackintosh and signed in under same iCloud
2) Moved my Photos library file to that user's home folder
3) Launched Photos - somehow photoanalysisd completed successfully (waited 2-3 hours)
4) Moved Photos library file back and voila! (Fingers crossed) No freezes

Hope that helps if somebody faces same problem.

P.S. I have no explanation why that helped but my hackintosh experience tells me some stones should be left unturned.

I saw a post in previous pages from someone asking how to achieve 4k @ 144hz or above but did not see any answer. I have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming monitor which supports 144Hz @ 4k over DP or HDMI. It is connected to my 6800XT but I can only get 120Hz. It has been like that for a while. I tried to fix it and read that it was an Apple issue (something like DSC can't remember exactly). However in the previous pages here I have read that people are indeed achieving 4k @ 144hz or higher on Monterey and I was wondering how it has been done. I could not find out in those posts the various steps to achieve that configuration. It would be appreciated if someone could describe the steps. For info I am on Monterey 12.5 with my 6800 XT card connected to the monitor via HDMI. I could connect with DP however with DP when I boot I have no signal for the first 10s until the OC bootloader and therefore can't really use DP in case I need to enter the bios - never been able to fix it. Hence why I am using HDMI.

I saw a post in previous pages from someone asking how to achieve 4k @ 144hz or above but did not see any answer. I have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming monitor which supports 144Hz @ 4k over DP or HDMI. It is connected to my 6800XT but I can only get 120Hz. It has been like that for a while. I tried to fix it and read that it was an Apple issue (something like DSC can't remember exactly). However in the previous pages here I have read that people are indeed achieving 4k @ 144hz or higher on Monterey and I was wondering how it has been done. I could not find out in those posts the various steps to achieve that configuration. It would be appreciated if someone could describe the steps. For info I am on Monterey 12.5 with my 6800 XT card connected to the monitor via HDMI. I could connect with DP however with DP when I boot I have no signal for the first 10s until the OC bootloader and therefore can't really use DP in case I need to enter the bios - never been able to fix it. Hence why I am using HDMI.
Okay. There is a post on Macrumors on the issue which may help called 'Mac mini: 4k @ 120hz?'.

One of the things you can do is use SwitchResX to create your own custom resolutions and then use Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) for Windows to edit the file (which is a EDID) and then you install that as part of your
EFI build. Hackintools for example offers DisplayEDID output that can be used in the EFI loaded as kext. And you can use the AllRez tool described above also to find out info about what your card's display output properties are and then from there use the info to adjust your EDID file to enable the correct settings.

Others is to make sure you've enabled things like the enable-hdmi20 key in the EFI under Device Properties.
For the onboard Intel UHD630 IGPU on Z490 I use the following settings for the HDMI:

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 9.46.52 AM.png

For my B550 Vision D this is what I've added to my device properties for the RX6800 - the CFG,CFG_USE_AGDC key really helps resolve some of the delay login screen sleep issues:

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 9.43.11 AM.png

I was able to fix it, rendering time now fastest ever.... from 7 minutes to 2:38 minutes in a Final Cut

now iGPU is visible under Graphics/Display together with Radeon VII and also both card working, tried DP on MB for iGPU and it is working fine.

For me most important was Final Cut where I knew that it is not possible that new CPU will be 2x slower than i6600k.

Also using default EFI 0.60 from CaseySJ while rendering my GPU fans and CPU fans are almost dead silent, but on z390 or z170 they will kick in also on real mac as well, so something was off...

here is what i had:

6600k and i9 9900k tested few months ago on Catalina and I9 10900k tested on both Catalina & Big Sur with similar results.

View attachment 486129as you can see finally I got 2 minutes and 38 seconds vs 7 minutes for rendering 8 minutes 4k video in Final Cut

Here is graphics/display section now with both card visible there:

View attachment 486123

this I used to patch FB from my old z390:

View attachment 486125

also now you can run tests for igpu on geekbench:

View attachment 486134

another thing today before all of this running this script

I was getting only Radeon there
View attachment 486138

but now I have both card listed:

View attachment 486139

How I did this:

I looked at my notes when I was playing around with z390 in May and my best result there with i9 9900k of 2:47 seconds I got after I was able to get same view above with both card showing in Graphics/Display section.

Thing is that I read in my notes but forgot in the start that you have to select IGPU as a primary display and not GPU and also to patch iGPU FB. What I did here I just pasted FB patch from my old z390 and it worked.

After that I was getting rendering of 5 minutes and 9 seconds which was 2 minutes faster but still not good enough.

Then I was playing around with different versions of radeonboost.kext also tried different version of WEG and then I said lets try without WEG and boom everything working as it should, rendering finally down to 2:38 seconds and fans kicking in while rendering.

here is my modified EFI for Vision G, you can add things back for Vision D.

I was so disappointed in rendering time of 7 minutes that I ordered last night again i9 9900k for 370 and asus prime z390 but now since this is fixed I was able to cancel it lol.

@CaseySJ Imovie also not crashing and working just fine.

thanks and good luck
Hi Diorama, Would this patching be the same for a z-370 I7 8700k on Sysdef IMP 1.1... Bigsur Oc 0.8.3)

Hi all, and @CaseySJ

I used to work with VideoProc Converter 4K enjoying the full harware acceleration on my previous Mac.
Unfortunately on this setup i discovered that my Gigabytes RX 5700 XT is not detected.
Any idea?
This would work much faster and avoid the CPU going up to 100°C!
Thanks

Well, I solved out by changing SMBIOS to iMac Pro 1.1 which is NOT in the recommendations of @CaseySJ.
Is there an inconvenient to use this SMBIOS rather than the usual recommended iMac 19.1?
Thanks for your help.

12.6 Monterey update screw anything up if I'm on OC 0.8.2?

Back