Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I'm having a lot of trouble with a T919 card.

My Z490 Vision-D machine won't power on for ~15 minutes after shutting it down with this card installed.

• Is this a known issue?
  • Is there a work around?
  • Is this just a dud card?
  • What are my other options for WiFi + BT?

So far I only have Windows 11 installed.

Last edited:
Please change it to Disabled and try again.
I changed SecureBootModel to Disabled as suggested, after a successful boot, the picker displayed 2 choices as seen in the first photo. I selected #2 and was taken thru the -v opencore startup. Afterwhich I was presented the Apple status menu install screen and then, as seen the last photo, the macOS Utilities; and then the recycling begins all over again.

Attachments

• IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 25
I changed SecureBootModel to Disabled as suggested, after a successful boot, the picker displayed 2 choices as seen in the first photo. I selected #2 and was taken thru the -v opencore startup. Afterwhich I was presented the Apple status menu install screen and then, as seen the last photo, the macOS Utilities; and then the recycling begins all over again.
When the macOS installer boots up (3rd screenshot in your previous post), are you running Disk Utility and formatting the Catalina SSD as follows?
  • Name: Any name
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
Also, check if MinDate and MinVersion are both set to -1 as shown below:
Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 10.01.41 AM.png

Finally, does the install process actually begin? And the system performs a reboot? If so, at the OpenCore Boot Picker, is Macintosh HD automatically selected? If not, we need to select that. After a couple more reboots, Macintosh HD will disappear from the boot picker. At that point we need to select the name of the Catalina disk instead.

• I'm having a lot of trouble with a T919 card.

My Z490 Vision-D machine won't power on for ~15 minutes after shutting it down with this card installed.

• Is this a known issue?
  • Is there a work around?
  • Is this just a dud card?
  • What are my other options for WiFi + BT?

So far I only have Windows 11 installed.
Is this problem consistent and repeatable? Specifically:
  1. If the FV-T919 is removed, system boots normally?
  2. If the FV-T919 is installed, system won't power on for 15 minutes?
This sounds very odd -- I have 5 of these cards and never experienced such a problem. Some suggestions:
  • Try CMOS Reset
    • Shut down the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF
    • Short the two designated pins with a flathead screwdriver for about 3 seconds
    • Flip power switch on PSU back to ON
    • Boot the system and configure BIOS parameters starting with Load Optimized Defaults
  • Does it help?
  • Also check that FV-T919 is properly inserted into PCIe slot -- use the short slot.
  • Consider buying a second FV-T919 and checking if it works correctly. If it does, then return the old one, assuming your return window is still valid

Is this problem consistent and repeatable? Specifically:
  1. If the FV-T919 is removed, system boots normally?
  2. If the FV-T919 is installed, system won't power on for 15 minutes?
This sounds very odd -- I have 5 of these cards and never experienced such a problem. Some suggestions:
  • Try CMOS Reset
    • Shut down the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF
    • Short the two designated pins with a flathead screwdriver for about 3 seconds
    • Flip power switch on PSU back to ON
    • Boot the system and configure BIOS parameters starting with Load Optimized Defaults
  • Does it help?
  • Also check that FV-T919 is properly inserted into PCIe slot -- use the short slot.
  • Consider buying a second FV-T919 and checking if it works correctly. If it does, then return the old one, assuming your return window is still valid
Thanks for the reply. To answer:
  1. With the T919 removed the system boots as normally as it ever has 100% of the time.
    The Z490 Vision-D seems to power on briefly for only a second or two, then powers off, then powers on again and completes the boot process.
  2. With the T919 installed the system won't boot for approximately 15 mintues after being powered off under Windows 11, 100% of the time.
    It powers on briefly and shuts off, as it does when the card is removed, but it does not power on again to complete booting.
I'll reset the BIOS and report back.

So far I've tried the short slot and the long slot closest to it and the behaviour is the same:
After being powered off for a long period of time the initial boot succeeds, but the machine will not completely power on for 15 minutes or so after being shut down.

I was hoping to find the youbo but it looks to be out of stock.

Last edited:
I think my WiFi PCi card might be failing.
Or it's a problem with the Ventura beta.
All in a sudden the WiFi menu icon says inactive but the WiFi setting says connected.

Anyway, I was wandering if I get a BCM94360NG NGFF M.2 2230 WiFi Card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0861T79QY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and plug it in the Intel® CNVi wireless module M.2 socket would that work.
I see that the Z690 build b CaseySJ uses that.

Thanks
Michele

I think my WiFi PCi card might be failing.
Or it's a problem with the Ventura beta.
All in a sudden the WiFi menu icon says inactive but the WiFi setting says connected.

Anyway, I was wandering if I get a BCM94360NG NGFF M.2 2230 WiFi Card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0861T79QY/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and plug it in the Intel® CNVi wireless module M.2 socket would that work.
I see that the Z690 build b CaseySJ uses that.

Thanks
Michele
Hello Michele,

If you're currently using the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module, please see this post for instructions on making it work:

Hello Michele,

If you're currently using the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module, please see this post for instructions on making it work:
Thanks.
What I did is to startup with Monterey. Turn Wifi on there, made sure it connected and the restarted with Ventura an now it's working. Peculiar.

I'm using a WiFi card which I purchased for my first Hackintosh. I took the card out of an old MacBook Air (1st gen) and put it in a generic card holder.

Thanks
Michele

Thanks.
What I did is to startup with Monterey. Turn Wifi on there, made sure it connected and the restarted with Ventura an now it's working. Peculiar.

I'm using a WiFi card which I purchased for my first Hackintosh. I took the card out of an old MacBook Air (1st gen) and put it in a generic card holder.

Thanks
Michele
Regarding the question about being able to replace on-board Intel WiFi/BT with BCM94360NG, the answer is "probably". On the newer Z590 and Z690 platforms this is proven to work. On the Z390 it does not work. On the Z490 I'm not sure! ;)

Regarding the question about being able to replace on-board Intel WiFi/BT with BCM94360NG, the answer is "probably". On the newer Z590 and Z690 platforms this is proven to work. On the Z390 it does not work. On the Z490 I'm not sure! ;)
I tried on the Z490VD and it does not work as well.

Back