Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I have had a very stable build using Catalina, now has come the time where I am now wanting to upgrade to Monterey as I think it has somewhat settled down now.

I have built the new Monterey 12.4 system onto a brand new SSD using OC 0.8.2 as that is latest one available. The build and install appears to have gone pretty smoothly, which I'm quite chuffed about as it has been a while.
Kudos for dong a fresh (or test?) install of Monterey on a new SSD. Obviously this means you can easily go back to the previous version.

There does appear to be one issue that I am having that I cannot figure out.

I am running two Audio Interfaces, (which run perfectly together in Catalina)

1. Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (TB2 adapter is being used to convert to TB3), using genuine Apple cable.
2. UAD Apollo with a Starlink TB3 cable.

Initially, I installed the Apogee and I managed to get it working by shutting everything off, turning on the Ensemble first and then boot the Hack. I installed the UA stuff and it went on no problem. I turned it all off, restarted the Hack and it picks up the UAD Apollo but not the Apogee? Unplug the UA and repeat by switching off the Ensemble and turning on the Hack, but no joy. I revert back to the Catalina boot and it all works perfectly.
Some questions/comments:
  • Is AppleVTD enabled? If so, it should appear near the top of the IOReg device tree, like this:
    Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 12.44.26 PM.png
  • Are the latest Apollo and Apogee drivers installed? Do Apogee drivers explicitly support Monterey?

I saw the post at beginning *NOTE 5: USBInjectAll 0.7.6 - I have updated this.

I'm wondering if I have missed something with regards to the USB ports as I noticed my additional ports on the top of my chassis don't appear to be working in Monterey. I'm wondering if I don't have the ports set-up correctly?

Any pointers and guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
Regarding USB ports -- which is a different topic from Apollo/Apogee -- some questions:
  • When you say additional ports on the top of my chassis don't appear to be working, are you referring to USB 3.0 (blue) ports or USB Type C ports?
  • What is the make/model of your chassis?
  • Were you, by chance, using a modified version of the USB port map SSDT? In other words, if you boot Catalina with your latest EFI folder, do those USB ports still work?
    • Or those USB ports only work if you boot Catalina with the older EFI folder that is located on the Catalina SSD?

Trying this I can't get Bluetooth to work with OC 0.8.3 and Monterey 12.5 (though strangely both Wifi and BT were working when I accidentally booted from an old OC version 0.7.8)

I believe it's because with 0.8.3 config files HS14 is not present, but the IntelWifi/BT part says it must be enabled.
How do I modify the 0.8.3 files attached in the mini guide to enable HS14?
Hello @TijuanaKez,

To enable HS14 on Z490 Vision D, please use one of these SSDTs:
  • SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2-INTEL-BT.aml
  • SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3-INTEL-BT.aml
These SSDTs are attached and should be copied to EFI/OC/APCI folder and added to config.plist --> ACPI section.

I've also added them to the OpenCore 0.8.3-PRE mini-guide.
Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 12.55.17 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V2-INTEL-BT.aml
    1 KB · Views: 29
  • SSDT-UIAC-VISION-D-V3-INTEL-BT.aml
    855 bytes · Views: 28
Hello @MacArthur,

We recommend setting SecureBootModel to Disabled only when installing Catalina, but after it's been installed we can change it to Default.

Well, unless I missed something (I do use your unmodified EFI) if I boot with EFI with SecureBootModel setup on "Default" after Catalina install, when trying to launch it I reach Catalina recovery mode.

Kudos for dong a fresh (or test?) install of Monterey on a new SSD. Obviously this means you can easily go back to the previous version.
Thanks, I thought so too until I just restarted my computer and I am having the same issues now in Catalina only with the Apogee.

I have been comparing EFI and noticed that my EFI for some reason is now 0.8.2 for Catalina as well. It also has appeared to change my mac from a 19,1 to 20,1. I was following Dortania's guide and went with the 20,1 not thinking that it would have an impact on my current build? That's where my lack of experience and understanding comes in.

Part of what happened is that it has changed my iMac serial number because I went for a 20,1 in the new build. This has impacted my old OC0.5.9. It all works fine apart from the Apogee?
Some questions/comments:
  • Is AppleVTD enabled? If so, it should appear near the top of the IOReg device tree, like this: View attachment 552045
  • Are the latest Apollo and Apogee drivers installed? Do Apogee drivers explicitly support Monterey?
The Apollo and Apogee drivers are up to date, I am unable to do a firmware update on the Apogee due to it not connecting? Both companies support Monterey.

I downloaded the IOService and mine looks way more complicated, see below. I also don't appear to have Apple VTD in mine.
Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 21.43.25.png

Regarding USB ports -- which is a different topic from Apollo/Apogee -- some questions:
  • When you say additional ports on the top of my chassis don't appear to be working, are you referring to USB 3.0 (blue) ports or USB Type C ports?
  • What is the make/model of your chassis?
  • Were you, by chance, using a modified version of the USB port map SSDT? In other words, if you boot Catalinawith your latest EFI folder, do those USB ports still work?
    • Or those USB ports only work if you boot Catalina with the older EFI folder that is located on the Catalina SSD?
In Monterey some of the ports appeared to be unavailable -
I have a Corsair Carbide 678C but the USB/Thunderbolt recognition could very well be related to the fact I am missing something in the above like the Apple VTD?

Thanks, I thought so too until I just restarted my computer and I am having the same issues now in Catalina only with the Apogee.

I have been comparing EFI and noticed that my EFI for some reason is now 0.8.2 for Catalina as well. It also has appeared to change my mac from a 19,1 to 20,1. I was following Dortania's guide and went with the 20,1 not thinking that it would have an impact on my current build? That's where my lack of experience and understanding comes in.

Part of what happened is that it has changed my iMac serial number because I went for a 20,1 in the new build. This has impacted my old OC0.5.9. It all works fine apart from the Apogee?

I can address the remaining concerns separately, but wanted to make a quick comment here:
  • Because you have two EFI partitions, one with old version of OpenCore and one with the new version, press F12 key repeatedly when booting the computer.
  • This will open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot menu).
  • To boot Catalina, select the disk containing the Catalina EFI partition.
  • Now old version of OpenCore boot picker should appear.
  • Select the Catalina disk and log in.
  • Check if Apollo and Apogee are working.

I can address the remaining concerns separately, but wanted to make a quick comment here:
  • Because you have two EFI partitions, one with old version of OpenCore and one with the new version, press F12 key repeatedly when booting the computer.
So this morning I went to do as you stated, and I notice that in the boot picker it says OC Release 082 with the date.
I fear that somewhere along the lines I might have moved the new EFI into the Catalina one by mistake. This may explain why when I compared a backup version with the one I opened to check that they appear differently.
I thought I was careful but clearly not careful enough.
  • This will open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot menu).
  • To boot Catalina, select the disk containing the Catalina EFI partition.
  • Now old version of OpenCore boot picker should appear.
  • Select the Catalina disk and log in.
I only have the Catalina disk available as I removed the MacOS Monty drive
  • Check if Apollo and Apogee are working.
I am able to get them working in Catalina. However, when I am in Monterey, only the Apollo will fire up. I do also have a Chord Mojo 2 headphone amp. When in Catalina this connects using the USB-C connector and works, but when in Monterey it is not recognised, there are no drivers for this as it is class compliant.

** edit update**
Using my backup bootable drive, I have managed to fix the OC issue in Catalina and now I’m back where I started.

Now going back to Monterey, I’m still having issues with it recognising the Apogee. Looking at the information on home page, is only one USB-C/ Tb port available? The reason why I say this, the Apollo fires up, but not Apogee. I also have a Chord Mojo2 with USB-C port. In Catalina it recognises this straight away, but in Monterey it doesn’t see it. Is this an OS issue or USB ports in the OC build?
I may go for Big Sur if it is a more stable option? I was hoping Monterey was a little more down the line with this.

Last edited:
Totally did not expect Universal control to work with the hack, configured as a 2017 iMacPro. Seeing it work perfectly got me thinking. Is there a configuration that works with everything, including Airplay yet? I think that's the only thing that doesn't work with the iMac Pro 1,1. It works with the regular iMac profile, but then you lose DRM protected video like Apple TV, etc. So far I am pretty happy with this as my daily driver, but there have been a very few times I was miffed that Airplay and Sidecar don't work.

** edit update**
Using my backup bootable drive, I have managed to fix the OC issue in Catalina and now I’m back where I started.
This is why I sound like a broken record when I keep harping about the importance of making bootable backups (keyword "bootable", because that includes a backup of the EFI partition).

Now going back to Monterey, I’m still having issues with it recognising the Apogee. Looking at the information on home page, is only one USB-C/ Tb port available? The reason why I say this, the Apollo fires up, but not Apogee. I also have a Chord Mojo2 with USB-C port. In Catalina it recognises this straight away, but in Monterey it doesn’t see it. Is this an OS issue or USB ports in the OC build?
I may go for Big Sur if it is a more stable option? I was hoping Monterey was a little more down the line with this.
Both Thunderbolt ports are active in Big Sur and Monterey. Some suggestions/questions:
  • Disconnect the Apollo and connect Apogee into that Thunderbolt port. Does Apogee appear?
  • If not, attempt cold boot, which means (a) shutdown the system, (b) flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, (c) power back up and log into macOS. Does Apogee connect?
  • Ensure "AppleVTD" appears in IORegistryExplorer.
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on the motherboard?

This is why I sound like a broken record when I keep harping about the importance of making bootable backups (keyword "bootable", because that includes a backup of the EFI partition).
Totally agree as this is a lifesaver! Learnt this at a very early stage when I (eventually) discovered that I had a bad stick of RAM
Both Thunderbolt ports are active in Big Sur and Monterey. Some suggestions/questions:
  • Disconnect the Apollo and connect Apogee into that Thunderbolt port. Does Apogee appear
Yes, they will appear if one is plugged in independently. If they are both both plugged in, then the Apollo is the priority.
  • If not, attempt cold boot, which means (a) shutdown the system, (b) flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, (c) power back up and log into macOS. Does Apogee connect?
  • Ensure "AppleVTD" appears in IORegistryExplorer.
I've run IORegistry and no the AppleVTD does not show. In which case, does this need to be enabled or disabled, and is that done in the BIOS? I've been reading lots of conflicting info about this and the DisableIOmapper quirk.
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on the motherboard?
F5

If make these adjustments in the BIOS regarding the Apple VT-D, will that impact my Catalina Boot? As the TB3 ports are working beautifully.

I've run IORegistry and no the AppleVTD does not show. In which case, does this need to be enabled or disabled, and is that done in the BIOS? I've been reading lots of conflicting info about this and the DisableIOmapper quirk.
The latest handful of OpenCore EFIs for this build enable AppleVTD by default. We can also enable and disable it ourselves as described here:
Some people report being unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, but I’ve not run into this problem — perhaps because all of my Windows disks have dedicated EFI partitions with the Microsoft boot loader installed.

We should enable AppleVTD in Monterey. It should not have a negative affect in Catalina.

Back