Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi,
I upgraded to OC 0.8.1 and now the Startup Disk is not remembered at startup anymore and OC defaults to an EFI partition (which does not start of course).
I was wandering what I should change of if there is a way to hide the EFI choices at startup
Try holding down CTRL key in OpenCore Boot Picker when clicking the macOS disk. That disk should become the default on next boot.

Hello to all... just too say that my new gaphics card is arrived, well configured, and works really fine without issues! Thank you all for the help to make my choice for my second hackintosh. Cheers :headbang:

biostar radeon rx 560.jpg

** PROBLEM REPORTING GUIDELINES **
Please do not quote this post in its entirety. Use a link instead.

Photos:
  • Remove EXIF location information before posting. Drag-and-drop your photo to this website (jimpl.com) to easily remove location information.
  • Resize photos so they consume no more than 2 or 3 MB. JPEGs are preferred.
Background:
  • Describe symptoms, warnings, errors, or problems that you see.
  • Describe problem-solving steps that have been taken.
  • Describe when the problem started and what changes were made around that time.
  • Describe whether the problem is consistent and repeatable, or occasional and random
  • Describe whether the problem occurs on another Mac or Hack
System Information:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which version of OpenCore?
  • List any of the following information that is relevant:
    • Make/model of motherboard, if something other than Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
    • Make/model of AMD GPU
    • Make/model of macOS NVMe SSD or SATA SSD
    • Make/model of monitor
    • Using DisplayPort or HDMI?
    • Make/model of memory and number of DIMMs
  • List any relevant BIOS settings
Try these Common Remedies:
  • At OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V to enable Verbose Mode.
    • Boot macOS and observe the boot log. If needed, capture and post a photo at the point where the log freezes.
    • Please see Photos at the top of this post before posting a photo.
  • Perform Cold Boot.
    • This means shutting down the system and flipping power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds. Then restarting.
    • Does problem go away?
  • Perform Reset NVRAM.
    • At the OpenCore Boot Picker, press <spacebar> to reveal hidden options. The last option on the right is Reset NVRAM. Select that option. Computer will restart. Boot macOS.
    • Does problem go away?
  • Perform CMOS Reset
    • Follow procedure in motherboard manual. All BIOS parameters will need to be reconfigured, starting with Load Optimized Defaults. Never skip this step because BIOS settings in Post 1 are made on top of BIOS settings that are applied by Load Optimized Defaults.
  • Try booting from the bootable backup.
    • Didn't make a bootable backup? Don't you wish you had?

Last edited:
Hi,

Any idea why my gigabyte bios startup screen or the OpenCore picker is no longer displayed but my system still boots to Big Sur ok?
Please see Problem Reporting Guidelines directly above. This has been in both of my Z690 build threads, but it makes sense to bring it here as well.

Rules of Thumb:
  • The more background information that is provided, the better we can assist and the faster we can assist (fewer back-and-forth iterations).
    • This includes troubleshooting steps that have already been taken
  • Include relevant system details and connection details.
    • For example, if the issue concerns video output, list the components involved in video output, which include:
      • Make/model of video card
      • Which video port is being used
      • Which type of cable is being used
      • If any video adapters or converters are being used
      • Make/model of the monitor or TV
Final Rule of Thumb:
  • Avoid large paragraphs; instead use bullet lists as much as possible
Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 2.03.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 2.06.00 PM.png

Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ
I would like to know if this configuration would be good to replace my z390 desiganre to: i9-10900KF + Gigabyte Vision D + 64GB 3200MHz, would there be any incompatibility problem with Thunderbolt? Today I have OWC external drives, and I have a RocketRAID 3700 RAID card, which runs fine. If you upgrade, do you think it's worth it? Would it have better performance, or do you recommend something better? Thanks.

Hi there. Thanks a lot for this great topic! I'm about to jump into my first Hackintosh, I'm very excited but a bit worried also :crazy: Here is my presentation topic for my more general questions and motivations about switching to Hackintosh :)

It seems that I have all the hardware prerequisites to have a working Hackintosh with Thunderbolt (Z490 vision D, 10700K, 650W power unit, Nvidia GT730). I now have some specific questions :

1. Is the F20 BIOS now considered to be stable and fully working, and, if so, with which version of macOS should I use ? I plan to use Big Sur and stick with it for years, good choice (also in order to keep my GT730 and not buy an expensive ATI card just to add a third screen ...)? I know it is mainly a software compatibility question about macOS version choice, but I'm looking mainly for stability (the software I use should run fine on Big Sur, excepting for the 32 bits VST I think)
  2. About the F20 BIOS, I saw the TB/USB hotplug issue, but I have to be sure that my Thunderbolt ports will be fully working in order to use my Universal Audio Apollos interfaces
  3. I checked about the Intel Optane drive, it seems that I haven't installed it under Windows but my SATA mode is set to "Intel Optane ..." in the BIOS, so I'm a bit confused. I switched to AHCI, and nothing broke, Windows still booting. But I don't use SATA, my Windows installation is on a 970 EVO NVMe drive, so : no impact at all for me isn't it ?
  4. I'm a bit worried about to screw my current Windows installation during macOS installation, and, after that, while running macOS, to have my NTFS data accessible (but as a data drive, TRIM shouldn't be an issue right? No problem of temperature with my 790 EVO ?). So is it safe to let my Windows NVMe drive plugged during installation and using OpenCore for dual boot setup? Or is it safer to take out the drive, install macOS and get the drive back, using the BIOS to load startup drive for Windows or MacOS ?
  5. Regarding the choice of the NVMe SSD, after reading this, I think I will pick a WD_BLACK SN850 1TB, good choice, or you have better recommendation in order to avoid all TRIM and temperature issues? Maybe it would be better to have a smaller NVMe SSD just for macOS and a SATA SSD drive for data?
  6. I have to make the installation drive under Windows, and this guide states to use gibMacOS. It seems that there is a working Windows.bat script to download and prepare the drive with gibMacOS. I also found this topic to make an online OpenCore USB installer under Windows. Which one is best for me currently ?
  7. Will I be able to use both onboard HDMI and DP Port for two extended screen setup?

Thanks guys !

Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ
I would like to know if this configuration would be good to replace my z390 desiganre to: i9-10900KF + Gigabyte Vision D + 64GB 3200MHz, would there be any incompatibility problem with Thunderbolt? Today I have OWC external drives, and I have a RocketRAID 3700 RAID card, which runs fine. If you upgrade, do you think it's worth it? Would it have better performance, or do you recommend something better? Thanks.
Hello @Rag

The difference between Z390 (Coffee Lake CPU) and Z490 (Comet Lake CPU) is virtually negligible. I would not call that an ‘upgrade’ but more of a side-grade.

A real upgrade from Z390 would be to Z690 (Alder Lake CPU).

By the way, do your OWC external drives require flashed Thunderbolt controller (Thunderbolt Bus)? Or do the drives work properly with original Thunderbolt firmware?

A real upgrade from Z390 would be to Z690 (Alder Lake CPU).
[..]

Casey, I might be going off topic but it could be useful for @Rag.

Don't you consider it a (big?) limitation the fact that, using a 12th gen Intel processor with E-cores active, tasks might be assigned to such lower-performing cores? Real case scenario: I am wondering that, when using Parallels, it might be assigned on E-cores. Have you done any 'methodic' testing?

I have been thinking for a long time now to upgrade from a 10900k to a 12900k.

Thanks

Hi there. Thanks a lot for this great topic! I'm about to jump into my first Hackintosh, I'm very excited but a bit worried also :crazy: Here is my presentation topic for my more general questions and motivations about switching to Hackintosh :)

It seems that I have all the hardware prerequisites to have a working Hackintosh with Thunderbolt (Z490 vision D, 10700K, 650W power unit, Nvidia GT730). I now have some specific questions :

1. Is the F20 BIOS now considered to be stable and fully working, and, if so, with which version of macOS should I use ? I plan to use Big Sur and stick with it for years, good choice (also in order to keep my GT730 and not buy an expensive ATI card just to add a third screen ...)? I know it is mainly a software compatibility question about macOS version choice, but I'm looking mainly for stability (the software I use should run fine on Big Sur, excepting for the 32 bits VST I think)
BIOS F20 most likely prevents USB devices from connecting to the two Thunderbolt ports. Thunderbolt devices will work fine. I think Big Sur is a good choice because subsequent versions of macOS are (a) becoming more restrictive with security and (b) causing problems with some of the devices and drivers we use. For example, Intel Bluetooth driver (IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext) does not work in Monterey, but works fine in Big Sur.

1. About the F20 BIOS, I saw the TB/USB hotplug issue, but I have to be sure that my Thunderbolt ports will be fully working in order to use my Universal Audio Apollos interfaces
It may be necessary to set Thunderbolt --> Thunderbolt Boot Support in BIOS Setup to Boot Once in order to connect the UAD Apollo.

1. I checked about the Intel Optane drive, it seems that I haven't installed it under Windows but my SATA mode is set to "Intel Optane ..." in the BIOS, so I'm a bit confused. I switched to AHCI, and nothing broke, Windows still booting. But I don't use SATA, my Windows installation is on a 970 EVO NVMe drive, so : no impact at all for me isn't it ?
If you do not have any Optane drives in the system then it's best to change SATA ports to AHCI right away. This applies only to SATA drives, but not to PCIe NVMe SSDs.

1. I'm a bit worried about to screw my current Windows installation during macOS installation, and, after that, while running macOS, to have my NTFS data accessible (but as a data drive, TRIM shouldn't be an issue right? No problem of temperature with my 790 EVO ?). So is it safe to let my Windows NVMe drive plugged during installation and using OpenCore for dual boot setup? Or is it safer to take out the drive, install macOS and get the drive back, using the BIOS to load startup drive for Windows or MacOS ?
If Windows NVMe SSD is already installed, it is best to move it to the M.2 slot closest to the CPU. Then install the macOS NVMe SSD into any of the other slots. It's ok to keep the Windows NVMe SSD in the system when installing macOS, but just be extra careful not to accidentally format and install macOS on that disk!

1. Regarding the choice of the NVMe SSD, after reading this, I think I will pick a WD_BLACK SN850 1TB, good choice, or you have better recommendation in order to avoid all TRIM and temperature issues? Maybe it would be better to have a smaller NVMe SSD just for macOS and a SATA SSD drive for data?
Although WD Black SN850 is a good choice, it is overkill because it supports PCIe 4.0, which only turns on if you install a Rocket Lake CPU (11th generation) -- and only if you install the NVMe SSD into the slot closest to the CPU (where Windows should be installed). The WD SN750 would be a better choice.

1. I have to make the installation drive under Windows, and this guide states to use gibMacOS. It seems that there is a working Windows.bat script to download and prepare the drive with gibMacOS. I also found this topic to make an online OpenCore USB installer under Windows. Which one is best for me currently ?
It's okay to use gibMacOS or similar utility on Windows to create the macOS installer.

1. Will I be able to use both onboard HDMI and DP Port for two extended screen setup?
You can use the on-board HDMI and DP ports, but only if you select config-Intel-iGPU.plist as the starting point.

Last edited:
Back