Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This is so strange. In Big Sur, it loads the dext and works fine. In Monterey, it loads the kext and does not work.

@jaymonkey would you mind sanitizing and sharing your config/EFI?
In Monterey, have you added this device property to the PCI path of i225V?
  • device-id equal to F3158680
Please refer to bottom of this post:

@CaseySJ I've done both F3158680 and F3150000, both with no success.

Note that when configured with F3158680 - the Device ID becomes 0x808615F3
When set to F3150000 - the Device ID becomes 0x15F3

I believe @jaymonkey said in another post in this thread to go with F3150000, I'll have to go back and double check that.

Again, thank you guys for taking the time to look at this with me, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• f3158680_config.png
    f3158680_config.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 33
  • f3158680_sysinfo.png
    f3158680_sysinfo.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 35
  • f3150000_config.png
    f3150000_config.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 38
  • f3150000_sysinfo.png
    f3150000_sysinfo.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
@CaseySJ I've done both F3158680 and F3150000, both with no success.

Note that when configured with F3158680 - the Device ID becomes 0x808615F3
That's actually okay! ;) Notice in your screenshot and mine below that the correct driver is attached AppleIntel210Ethernet. Is your system unstable under these circumstances?
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 12.14.52 PM.png

I'm going to make this more painful, at least for me.

I have two systems with the Vision G Z490, the one I've been working on (dev) and a prod system. I really didn't want to touch the prod system, but I needed to know.

I installed a new NVMe drive and installed Monterey 12.4 , Did the I225MOD, used the exact same OC I've been using the whole time. Monterey is up and running with the I225 network functioning just fine. In fact, I'm posting from it right now. The Fenvi isn't working now, but I think I've seen threads on wifi getting broken

Both are on BIOS F21, so I backed up the config and loaded on the dev system. Monterey I225 doesn't work there.

During all this, I also noticed that when I hit F12 or DEL at boot, the prod system goes there almost instantly, whereas the dev system takes several seconds (8-10 or more).

Both are on BIOS F21, so I backed up the config and loaded on the dev system. Monterey I225 doesn't work there.

During all this, I also noticed that when I hit F12 or DEL at boot, the prod system goes there almost instantly, whereas the dev system takes several seconds (8-10 or more).
Some comments / questions:
  • Were both motherboards purchased around the same time or several weeks/months apart?
  • The I225MOD firmware update is only needed if the i225-V does not connect at all in Monterey.
    • If it connects but crashes later, that's a different issue.
    • If it never connects, then the I225MOD upgrade should be applied.
  • In both cases we need to insert device-id=0x15F38086 in reverse byte order so that the proper driver (kext) gets connected.
  • On the development system are there any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • On the production system are there any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • Are the two systems identically set up (same hardware and same peripherals)?
  • On the development system, consider performing CMOS Reset, after which it will be necessary to configure BIOS parameters again (Post 1).

Some comments / questions:
  • Were both motherboards purchased around the same time or several weeks/months apart?
  • The I225MOD firmware update is only needed if the i225-V does not connect at all in Monterey.
    • If it connects but crashes later, that's a different issue.
    • If it never connects, then the I225MOD upgrade should be applied.
  • In both cases we need to insert device-id=0x15F38086 in reverse byte order so that the proper driver (kext) gets connected.
  • On the development system are there any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • On the production system are there any Thunderbolt devices connected?
  • Are the two systems identically set up (same hardware and same peripherals)?
  • On the development system, consider performing CMOS Reset, after which it will be necessary to configure BIOS parameters again (Post 1).
They were purchased several months apart. Both show to be rev 1.1 , both with the I225-V rev 2 chip (SLJNY)
In the 3-4 hours I had Monterey running on the prod box, no issues at all, it ran well.

I used the same USB drive with the same EFI on both, to keep that a constant.

No Thunderbolt at all on either system.

Specs are pretty close:

Prod: 10700K, 64GB, RX580 8GB, two 2TB nvme drives (Samsung and XPG), display port attached monitor
Dev: 10700K, 32GB, RX580 8GB, two 2TB nvme drives (Samsung and XPG), display port attached monitor

I've shorted the pins a couple of times while trying to get the I225 working on the dev box. I'll give it another shot and see.

Your problem is that AppleVTD isn‘t running and / or configured correctly, although this is explicitly mentioned as a requirement for the i225mod in its guide. This is the case with everyone who complains that WiFi or mod itself does not work.

Your problem is that AppleVTD isn‘t running and / or configured correctly, although this is explicitly mentioned as a requirement for the i225mod in its guide. This is the case with everyone who complains that WiFi or mod itself does not work.
One battle at a time, I'm glad to finally see an I225V working under Monterey :)

Along these lines, I think I'm going to do a fresh open core build from ground up.

One battle at a time, I'm glad to finally see an I225V working under Monterey :)

Along these lines, I think I'm going to do a fresh open core build from ground up.
The 2nd screenshot in the post below indicates that AppleVTD is enabled.

Back