Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Please try Step 11 in the Asus ProArt Z690 Creator build guide, which contains the latest screenshots:
Yes that worked, I believe the steps I was missing were selecting "Legacy Bootable backup assistant" and "allow CCC to erase the destination drive". When I rebooted I have 3 disks now EFI. and 2 named the same even though I named the drive something different during the process. is there an easy way to rename the dive that the OC boot screen displays so I can be sure which is the "backup"? I know Im on the backup at this point as I booted CCC told me I was on a back up and suspended the saved process.
I want to do updating tests and work on airdrop and sidecar on the backup drive without ricking the stable OS I have running.

Thanks for the link saved me banging my head on the wall again for a few more rounds. I like to read and try a bunch of times before asking, you learn a lot by repetition...and mistakes! hahahaha

I'll answer my own question for those of you that might run into this as well.
Once I rebooted a few times, I also applied the next Mac OS update for Big Sur on the backup drive the name drive name changed to the one I gave it in the backup process so I could tell the difference between them.

All's Good!

@CaseySJ,

Do you have a link to the OC Boot Picker "cmd" commands? I know there's CMD-V, which I've used. But there are others, and my searching can't come up with a list of them. TIA.

@CaseySJ,

Do you have a link to the OC Boot Picker "cmd" commands? I know there's CMD-V, which I've used. But there are others, and my searching can't come up with a list of them. TIA.
@Stork,

OpenCanopy is designed to mimic Apple's own boot picker so we can refer to Apple's own list here:
OpenCanopy does not support all of the shortcuts, but it does support the most common ones. The shortcuts that I've personally tested are highlighted in red.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 2.46.05 PM.png

Hi folks, I followed the original tutorial in this thread in 2020 when it had less than 50 pages and I haven't updated my Hackintosh since <shamecube>.
  • I'm still on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 (iMac19,1; Hackintool v3.4.0; OpenCore 0.5.9).
  • My spec: i7-10700k, Radeon 5700 XT Gigabyte OC, Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Bios F5a).
I'm looking to upgrade to 12.4.
  1. What's the proper way / order to do it? I will really appreciate any pointers / a link to the tutorial.
  2. Do I need to upgrade to 11 first?
  3. Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding my spec and upgrading Big Sur? Things not working, changes to the config etc.
I'm not very familiar with building a Hackintosh, I did it once in 2020 following CaseySJ tutorial and after addressing few initial issues everything worked fine. I haven't touched the setup, just enjoyed using my machine and forgot most of the things I done back then :(

Thank you!

I'm looking to upgrade to 12.4.
  1. What's the proper way / order to do it? I will really appreciate any pointers / a link to the tutorial.
First step. Go to step 13 in post #1 and make a bootable backup. I think that Casey's Z690 Pro Art Golden Build has an even more up to date bootable backup guide but this one will work fine for Catalina.

Screen Shot.jpg

After you have the backup and tested that it boots, you can then try an in place upgrade to Monterey. Use the EFI folder Casey provides and put your Serials, SmUUID and ROM into the config.plist before you try the upgrade. Replace the existing EFI folder with the newest available. I'm not sure where the OC 0.8.0 folder is in this guide but you can search for it.

Thanks @trs96! I have an additional SSD in the machine and I already made a backup using CCC before posting this.
  • What about OC, should I upgrade OC to 0.8.0 before trying to perform in-place upgrade?
  • Can I upgrade 0.5.9 directly to 0.6.6 and use this tutorial to upgrade to 0.8.0? OR do I need to go version by version 0.5.9 -> 0.6.0 -> 0.6.1 and so on?
  • Silly question: what does it mean "use the EFI folder Casey provides ..."? Can you please point me to a specific step in the tutorial?
  • I recall using USB drive for the initial installation, do I still need it?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks @trs96! I have an additional SSD in the machine and I already made a backup using CCC before posting this.
  • What about OC, should I upgrade OC to 0.8.0 before trying to perform in-place upgrade?
  • Can I upgrade 0.5.9 directly to 0.6.6 and use this tutorial to upgrade to 0.8.0? OR do I need to go version by version 0.5.9 -> 0.6.0 -> 0.6.1 and so on?
  • Silly question: what does it mean "use the EFI folder Casey provides ..."? Can you please point me to a specific step in the tutorial?
  • I recall using USB drive for the initial installation, do I still need it?
Thanks!
It would be good to upgrade to OC 0.7.8 first. The mini-guide and EFI folder are provided. There’s a link at the top of Post 1 to that mini-guide.

In the mini-guide there’s an additional section for Catalina users so please follow that as well. Then try booting Catalina with OpenCore 0.7.8. If it works you can then stay on 0.7.8 and begin an in-place upgrade to Monterey 12.4.

When Monterey is installed and verified, then follow the HackinDROM guide (which you already pointed out in your post) to upgrade from OC 0.7.8 to 0.8.0.

After moving from OC 0.6.3 to 0.7.8 and upgrading from Catalina to Monterey, my dual boot option for my Windows drive on the OpenCore boot picker is not able to load Windows successfully. After picking the Windows drive, it just goes to a black screen.

If I boot the Windows drive from the bios menu, still works fine.

Did anyone have the same problem?

Back