Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some suggestions:
  • Enable verbose mode and boot. Can be done by pressing and releasing CMD-V at OpenCore Picker. Where does the boot process stall?
  • Not all apps and drivers are compatible with Monterey. Screenshot of /Library/Extensions may be helpful.
  • Intel Bluetooth does not work in Monterey. Never has thus far. The IntelBluetooth kexts must be turned off and the Intel USB port should be disabled.
  • Perform CMOS Reset followed by re-configuring BIOS.

Thanks a lot!

Both the boot time and the drives being gone were fixed by disabling the IntelBluetooth kexts. Disabling both also fixed the WiFi issue.
The Intel USB port is the internal one? HS02? (on the Vision G)

Some suggestions:
  • Enable verbose mode and boot. Can be done by pressing and releasing CMD-V at OpenCore Picker. Where does the boot process stall?
  • Not all apps and drivers are compatible with Monterey. Screenshot of /Library/Extensions may be helpful.
  • Intel Bluetooth does not work in Monterey. Never has thus far. The IntelBluetooth kexts must be turned off and the Intel USB port should be disabled.
  • Perform CMOS Reset followed by re-configuring BIOS.

Extensions folder has

HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

also the OS keeps crashing now every couple of minutes. Could it be any of the incompatible Drivers?

Thanks a lot!

Both the boot time and the drives being gone were fixed by disabling the IntelBluetooth kexts. Disabling both also fixed the WiFi issue.
The Intel USB port is the internal one? HS02? (on the Vision G)
I believe the Vision G does not have on-board WiFi/BT so you must be using a third-party Intel WiFi/BT PCIe card. If that's the case, simply remove the card and disconnect the Bluetooth USB cable from HS02. Then there's no need to disable the HS02 port itself.

Extensions folder has

HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

also the OS keeps crashing now every couple of minutes. Could it be any of the incompatible Drivers?
These are standard kexts that come pre-packaged with macOS so we can safely keep them.

When the OS crashes and you restart and log back in, do you get a dialog stating that a crash had occurred and whether you want to see or submit the crash log? If so, what does the crash log say?

Also try starting the system in safe mode. I believe we do this by pressing the SHIFT key while clicking the macOS boot disk in OpenCore boot picker. Does the system crash even in safe mode?

A bit of back story. I replaced my wifi/BT card in an attempt to solve the intermittent BIOS crashes I've experienced
since building a Z490 Vision D last November. Somewhat randomly my BIOS crashes when waking from sleep. I can go for weeks without this happening then all the sudden it will happen several times in a row. If I disable X.M.P. the problem seems to go away. I have swapped RAM modules, Motherboard and now wifi/bt card in my quest to solve this problem. I'm literally at my wits end and really could use some help..

If disabling XMP solves the problem, there is the option to:
  • Disable XMP in BIOS
  • Manually set memory clock speed to either 2666MHz or 2933MHz from one of the pop-up menus in BIOS

@CaseySJ On the problematic 10g Ethernet issue: I managed to downgrade my OC install from 7.9 to 7.8 and selected the v3 patch for the AQC-107. I also turned ON VTD in the BIOS which I had read as helping to solve this specific issue on 12.3. Not sure which did it but now the Solo 10gb card is working properly again. Think I'll stick with 7.8 until 8.0 is released and the reevaluate. Thanks for the suggestions.
OpenCore 0.7.9 is not the issue. :)

OpenCore 0.7.9 is not the issue. :)

Yes, I felt like that was likely the case. Upon further research it appears that 12.3 requires VT-D to be enabled in the BIOS in order for some (all?) Aquantia 10gb cards to work. Of course I violated all debugging rules and reverted to OC 7.8 AND changing my BIOS to enable VT-D. But I assume it was the VT-D change that resulted in the card getting a green light and an IP address. Again, subsequent research in other forums confirmed this to be the case. Thanks again for the help.

If disabling XMP solves the problem, there is the option to:
  • Disable XMP in BIOS
  • Manually set memory clock speed to either 2666MHz or 2933MHz from one of the pop-up menus in BIOS
I suppose that's a solution alright, but it kind of feels like a kick in the teeth after spending $ on 64 GB of 3600 MHz DDR4. I'll keep looking, thanks CaseySJ.

If using AMD 5xxx or 6xxx GPUs:

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.33.29 PM.png

I had forgotten to add a link to Post 1, which has now been done. Because OpenCore 0.7.9 is a small change over its predecessor, we can use the new HackinDROM 2.1.0 app from GitHub. The guide provides all of the details.

View attachment 544012
I try to update from HackinDROM App, but any update to 0.7.9... is the last version of HackinDROM 2.1.0... what can I do to update it? Thanks

Ooooppssssss I'm sorry I don't read well the guide, I resolve, thanks for the good job to all especially @CaseySJ !
:clap::headbang:

Back