Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone.
Hi @CaseySJ I have a few questions.
My hack is working so far so good, BUT, I just bought the XPG 2TB Gen4 NVMe and....
About 1min after system boots up, the hack reboot, and keep this eternal loop.
Removing it the system becomes stable again...what makes me think the NVMe is the guilty of course.
So, the questions are...:
Hacks are incompatible with Gen4 NVMe?
Or...Just incompatible with the Brand?
Can it be fixed? How?
Have a nice weekend.

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a solution for the long post time when Thunderbolt is enabled? When I disable it my machine boots in about 3 secs, when its enabled its takes about 30-35 secs to post before the opencore splash screen.

Any suggestions?

Cliff
One thing to try (no guarantees) is to enable the kernel quirk DisableRtcChecksum.

Hi everyone.
Hi @CaseySJ I have a few questions.
My hack is working so far so good, BUT, I just bought the XPG 2TB Gen4 NVMe and....
About 1min after system boots up, the hack reboot, and keep this eternal loop.
Removing it the system becomes stable again...what makes me think the NVMe is the guilty of course.
So, the questions are...:
Hacks are incompatible with Gen4 NVMe?
Or...Just incompatible with the Brand?
Can it be fixed? How?
Have a nice weekend.
PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSDs are compatible, but some specific models may be incompatible with NVMeFix.kext. So first thing is to try disabling this kext...

PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSDs are compatible, but some specific models may be incompatible with NVMeFix.kext. So first thing is to try disabling this kext...
Ok, done, the behavior is the same. 1min later...reboot.

@CaseySJ New problem I just noticed. My Sonnet Solo 10g Ethernet card has suddenly disappeared from my Hack. It was working perfectly once I enabled the Aquantia patch with HackinDROM. So perfectly that I never noticed when it dropped out since I also had WIFI turned on. But in copying some files to my NAS I was perplexed as to why it was so slow. Lo and behold, no 10g card showing up at all. Only things I have done new is update to OC 0.79 and update macOS to 12.3. Any suggestions? Anyone else seeing issues with their 10g Ethernet after updating to 12.3? Major bummer as I was just getting comfortable that I had a solid build.

EDIT: I went into Hackintool and I see the Solo card as showing up as a network controller that is AQC107 based. Also see it in IORegistry Explorer. But I don't know enough to know what I am looking at. The key thing is that the HackinDROM kernel patch is enabled.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ New problem I just noticed. My Sonnet Solo 10g Ethernet card has suddenly disappeared from my Hack. It was working perfectly once I enabled the Aquantia patch with HackinDROM. So perfectly that I never noticed when it dropped out since I also had WIFI turned on. But in copying some files to my NAS I was perplexed as to why it was so slow. Lo and behold, no 10g card showing up at all. Only things I have done new is update to OC 0.79 and update macOS to 12.3. Any suggestions? Anyone else seeing issues with their 10g Ethernet after updating to 12.3? Major bummer as I was just getting comfortable that I had a solid build.

EDIT: I went into Hackintool and I see the Solo card as showing up as a network controller that is AQC107 based. Also see it in IORegistry Explorer. But I don't know enough to know what I am looking at. The key thing is that the HackinDROM kernel patch is enabled.
In the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder for this build there are two Aquantia kernel patches. One patch is injected for macOS 12.3 and later, and the other for previous versions. We should enable them both.
Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 3.53.51 PM.png

Ok, done, the behavior is the same. 1min later...reboot.
In which M.2 slot is the XPG 2TB Gen4 NVMe SSD installed? It may be necessary to move it to the slot closest to the CPU.

Couple of other questions that may have a bearing on this problem:
  • What are the makes/models of all other NVMe SSDs in the system?
  • Are there any SATA SSDs installed? If so, which SATA port(s) are they connected to?

In the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI folder for this build there are two Aquantia kernel patches. One patch is injected for macOS 12.3 and later, and the other for previous versions. We should enable them both.
View attachment 544465
Thanks @CaseySJ However I used HackinDROM and only got the v2 patch in my EFI. I recently updated to OC 7.9 using the update procedure in HackinDROM and I still have only v2. Given that I have updated already, where do I find the v3 patch? Also: after doing research I found the info contained in the v3 you list above, so I changed v2 to be the v3 patch. That resulted in my Solo 10gb card being found and now showing up as an Ethernet in the Network Settings, but all I get is a self-assigned IP address.

EDIT: I just manually added the original v2 patch to go along with the v3 I had added earlier. I did this in OC Configurator. I will reboot and see if this solves the issue.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ So still no go on getting 10Gb Ethernet working that WAS working fine before 12.3 update. I made the patch changes (see below) and card is recognized but I can't get it to assign an DHCP IP address. I found another thread on insanelymac where this is being discussed and others appear to be having this same problem with 12.3.

1647735826177.png

1647735845453.png

Is there anything that can be done on this? I'm wishing I hadn't updated to 12.3 but the feedback here seemed to suggest it was fine. Thanks for your help.

In which M.2 slot is the XPG 2TB Gen4 NVMe SSD installed? It may be necessary to move it to the slot closest to the CPU.

Couple of other questions that may have a bearing on this problem:
  • What are the makes/models of all other NVMe SSDs in the system?
  • Are there any SATA SSDs installed? If so, which SATA port(s) are they connected to?
Well, I've sent 2 prints...
I have 2 PCI-e NVMe positioned as you can see.
I have more 3 SSD SATA on 2,4 and 5 ports, you can check the other print,
there's no problem at all, I can use any port, all available as long as I use PCI-e NVMe.
Oh, and I have switched the NVMe's position and the result is the same, too.
I think I will have to buy another Crucial 2TB because this one works very nice indeed.
Regards.

Attachments

• VisionG M.2.png
    VisionG M.2.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 45
  • VisionG SSD.png
    VisionG SSD.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 47
Back