Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Crazy problem, asking here since I can't seem to find ideas ANYWHERE else and I'm betting I might need to mess with SIP or OpenCore config to fix this...but some time after cloning an internal data (non-boot) drive to a bigger one and installing it, I've run into a problem where it mounts as a hidden volume. No amount of showing/hiding Hard Drive icons in Finder preferences makes it show up. First screen shot shows where it should go...second screenshot shows it mounted but dimmed as a "hidden" volume. If it was a file, I'd just remove the leading . character -- but that's not the case here. Disk Utility's First Aid function ran fine, no change. Any ideas on how to fix?

Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.26.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 4.29.52 PM.png

Not sure when this started, but I am on OpenCore 0.7.8 (occurred under 0.7.7 as well) and macOS 12.12.1. Thanks!

Crazy problem, asking here since I can't seem to find ideas ANYWHERE else and I'm betting I might need to mess with SIP or OpenCore config to fix this...but some time after cloning an internal data (non-boot) drive to a bigger one and installing it, I've run into a problem where it mounts as a hidden volume. No amount of showing/hiding Hard Drive icons in Finder preferences makes it show up. First screen shot shows where it should go...second screenshot shows it mounted but dimmed as a "hidden" volume. If it was a file, I'd just remove the leading . character -- but that's not the case here. Disk Utility's First Aid function ran fine, no change. Any ideas on how to fix?

View attachment 542852View attachment 542853

Not sure when this started, but I am on OpenCore 0.7.8 (occurred under 0.7.7 as well) and macOS 12.12.1. Thanks!
When we install Big Sur or Monterey, macOS creates a System volume and a Data volume. Because these two volumes are part of a single installation, they are placed together into an APFS Volume Group.

If we take either the Data or System volumes out of that group and put either one into a different volume group, then they are no longer paired together.

There may be ways to handle this situation, but in general we should avoid doing so. We should not separate the two volumes that are joined together in a single group.

In order to clone a Big Sur or Monterey disk to a larger SSD, we should clone the entire volume group. This can be done by Carbon Copy Cloner. The procedure is described in Step 11 here:

When we install Big Sur or Monterey, macOS creates a System volume and a Data volume. Because these two volumes are part of a single installation, they are placed together into an APFS Volume Group.

If we take either the Data or System volumes out of that group and put either one into a different volume group, then they are no longer paired together.

There may be ways to handle this situation, but in general we should avoid doing so. We should not separate the two volumes that are joined together in a single group.

In order to clone a Big Sur or Monterey disk to a larger SSD, we should clone the entire volume group. This can be done by Carbon Copy Cloner. The procedure is described in Step 11 here:

OK, my volume names are causing confusion -- I haven't separated the boot drive's volume group at all...it is still made up of the System and Data volumes as shown below on the Sabrent Media SSD (boot drive is named "macOS"). The separate hard drive (ST18000) has a single APFS container with a single volume within it named "Data". This naming scheme has never caused any issues for me before, but admittedly it used to be formatted as an HFS+ volume if I remembered correctly, so the OS could be getting confused. But my understanding of the boot drive behavior is that for a given boot volume group name of "FUBAR" it would have a pair of separate volumes within the group -- "FUBAR" for System and "FUBAR - Data" for Data.​
Also of interest -- this hard drive was cloned and re-installed into an existing, working deployment of Catalina. And the separate Data volume did show on the Desktop fine for a week or two -- it has disappeared somewhere in the last week if I remember correctly. I don't reboot this system much, so frankly I don't recall the specifics of timing.​
With that explanation, any other ideas? :)
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 5.33.15 PM.png

Sorry folks. Can't read through the 926 pages to answer this...

I have a Samsung 980 nvme drive I'd like to use for external backup. Is the TRIM issue with these drives ONLY for internal MacOS boot drive? When doing my build I went for the WD NVMe for my boot for this reason. But any reason I can't use the 980 when in a USB 3.1 enclosure? Still a TRIM/longevity issue? cc: @CaseySJ
I am using a USB-C enclosure for a Samsung 970 NVMe SSD drive and trim is not available via USB.
USB C connected Samsung NVMe.jpg

hi, guys I want to ask if any of you have or had any issues with

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280​

i want to buy this one to added to my rig but I have read that some nvme ssd do not working will with mackintosh sins Monterey .

any advice will be most appreciated .

thanks.

hi, guys I want to ask if any of you have or had any issues with

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280​

i want to buy this one to added to my rig but I have read that some nvme ssd do not working will with mackintosh sins Monterey .

any advice will be most appreciated .

thanks.
That's the brand/size I use. For more information, see:

Reactions: jd6
I have had issues with Rocket 4, where a brand new 2TB failed with total data loss after a couple of weeks of use. I RMA'd and after a huge amount of fussing Sabrent sent me a replacement, which failed with total data loss after a few days.

That was under Big Sur 11.5, or thereabouts.

The word around the block is that some Phison controllers (E15 I think) melt down under macOS for reasons that aren't known, but they self destruct.

I replaced with a Samsung 980 Pro which developed bad sectors after a couple months and I lost some files. Samsung replaced it, then a firmware update caused Monterey Trim long-boot glitch.

Along way got a WD Black SN750 and it has been solid for 8 months of regular use — now at Monterey 12.2.

(I have a PCI4 board but a 10th gen CPU so PCI3 drive is fine match. Speed is not an issue, system is spry)

Today it's difficult to say anything about NVMe reliability and buying choices, because these drives have touchy power edge cases, are pushing envelope on density, are deeply affected by OS / workload, are marketed to gamers who are used to unreliable kit, and the drive makers have been rotating silicon under model numbers. IOW the same branding but different chips. So there's no rule of thumb.

If I were buying another drive right now for Mac, I would avoid Sabrent completely.

Search web for Phison-controller related failure use learnings to avoid such models.

Read test any drive you choose and absolutely maintain a backup.

Hello-
Is this safe to do in the below thread on my 10.15.7 open core hack as detailed in this Z490 thread?

looking to run some terminal scripts that require bin/bash

Thank you!

Hello,looking for some knowledge again….I am going to upgrade my 580 to an 6900 xt and I’d like to check the necessary steps.As I understand what i have to do is add boot args agdpmod=pikera in nvram(adding a screen capture of my nvram).Do I need also to change smbios?using iMac 19,1 at the moment.
THANKS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 17.21.00.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 17.21.00.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hello,looking for some knowledge again….I am going to upgrade my 580 to an 6900 xt and I’d like to check the necessary steps.As I understand what i have to do is add boot args agdpmod=pikera in nvram(adding a screen capture of my nvram).Do I need also to change smbios?using iMac 19,1 at the moment.
THANKS
Adding agdpmod=pikera is sufficient. It's not necessary to change system product name. The 6900 XT is supported in Big Sur and Monterey, but not in Catalina.

Back