Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I use the i7 11700K on the Z490 VD, and it gives Pcie4. You have to enable it to use Rocket Lake in the BIOS, and it works. But, as mentioned, you have to be on F20 and above.
Thanks for verification! I also finally heard back from Gigabyte today, and they did confirm this as well. Both PCIe GPU slots upgrade to PCIe4 as well as the M2A_CPU. Not sure why it took so long for them to confirm this.

ANSWER--
After verifying with our team, the photo on our website is correct.PCie x16 & PCIe x8 slot will be Gen 4 with an 11th gen CPU since this particular model offer the PCIE switch.So you can use 2x Gen4 video card with the 11th gen CPU along with the M2A_CPU slot.

I use the i7 11700K on the Z490 VD, and it gives Pcie4. You have to enable it to use Rocket Lake in the BIOS, and it works. But, as mentioned, you have to be on F20 and above.
Do you experience any issues running PCIe4 on the Mac side of things? any speed differences? bugs? I assume the Mac is indiscriminate of the processor itself? cares more about the chipset being Z490.

Do you experience any issues running PCIe4 on the Mac side of things? any speed differences? bugs? I assume the Mac is indiscriminate of the processor itself? cares more about the chipset being Z490.
Had a lot of bugs on the onset but worked with Casey and fixed most of them including audio/wifi, Now it is running smooth on Big Sur, I think I am one of the few that have both my 2.5G and 1G network ports working perfectly in Monterey through every update, only issue I have in Monterey is with Bluetooth not picking up my iPhones but in Big Sur it all works perfectly.

I'm on 12.2 with no problems. Safe to update to 12.2.1?

Had a thought looking at some of the BIOS modding happening with the Z370 Designare: Would it be possible to unlock the CNVi slot and enable non-CNVi cards on it?

Hi! I am a Z490 Vision G user. I have issues with my 4 USB ports (indicated in the attachment below).
First, I should list all of the devices that use USB:

USB keyboard
Wireless mouse adaptor
USB stick
webcam
microphone
USB-A to USB-C cable (for my iPad)
USB connector for my printer
USB sound card that uses 2 USB ports. 1 for signal transmission, 1 for charging.
USB fan (used for charging)

In the black region,
I can connect all of the USB devices listed above.

In the green region,
the Hackintosh/USB ports only respond to:
USB stick,
USB fan
(others don't work)
It is worth noting that,
the USB sound card cannot use these 2 ports for charging, its LED indicator does not on, and
my Hackintosh cannot detect my iPad using these 2 ports to connect.

In the red region,
I can only use them for:
USB fan
(only charging for USB fan, but cannot charge for the sound card.)

There is a LED indicating light on the microphone. The light on when it is connected to any USB port, but
the Hackintosh cannot detect the microphone unless it is connected to the USB ports in the black region.

In short:
Back: completely functioned - USB stick, fan charing, iPad data transfer, microphone, webcam, mouse and keyboard adaptors, sound card, printer
Green: only with USB sticks, and fan charging
Black: only with fan charging

Anyone knows why?

Attachments

• img05.png
    img05.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Sorry folks. Can't read through the 926 pages to answer this...

I have a Samsung 980 nvme drive I'd like to use for external backup. Is the TRIM issue with these drives ONLY for internal MacOS boot drive? When doing my build I went for the WD NVMe for my boot for this reason. But any reason I can't use the 980 when in a USB 3.1 enclosure? Still a TRIM/longevity issue? cc: @CaseySJ

Sorry folks. Can't read through the 926 pages to answer this...

I have a Samsung 980 nvme drive I'd like to use for external backup. Is the TRIM issue with these drives ONLY for internal MacOS boot drive? When doing my build I went for the WD NVMe for my boot for this reason. But any reason I can't use the 980 when in a USB 3.1 enclosure? Still a TRIM/longevity issue? cc: @CaseySJ
That’s a good question. Which means I may not have an answer, but hopefully someone else can chime in. :)

I do have a USB enclosure for NVMe SSD so next time I log in, I’ll see if trim is enabled. I only have non-Samsung NVMe SSDs, but at least we’ll know if trim is available through a USB enclosure. (My guess is yes.)

However, even without trim, you can use the Samsung in external enclosure for backup purposes. Disk writing times can be longer, particularly as the disk becomes nearly full. But as a backup, it should be okay.

Hi! I am a Z490 Vision G user. I have issues with my 4 USB ports (indicated in the attachment below).

@hereiam510,

If the devices you are plugging into the four USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports (red and green regions on your image) are USB-2 devices then that behaviour is to be expected .... due to the 15 Port limit in MacOS, the USB-2 ports (HS03, HS04, HS05 & HS06) on those four ports usually have USB-2 functionality disabled on Z490 Vision G, so those four ports will work with USB-3 devices but not USB-2 devices (except for charging).

Screenshot 2022-02-27 at 13.44.49.png

This is explained in detail by @CaseySJ in the guide in post #1 in the sections titled "On-Board Devices" and "Modifications for Z490 Vision G".

You could remap your USB ports if you need USB-2 functionality on those four USB ports but if you do, you will have to disable USB-2 functionality on four other ports elsewhere on the system which will most likely result in loosing all USB-2 functionality on the front/case mounted USB ports.

If you don't want to change the USB port mapping then an easy solution would be to install a PCIe USB card, as the card has its own XHCI controller it will not be susceptible to the 15 limit imposed on the PCH.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back