Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

When your monitor is connected via HDMI or DisplayPort, it should appear as a sound device in System Information --> Audio. Volume control on many monitors will be grayed out in macOS, but volume can still be adjusted by individual applications. When playing a YouTube video, for example, we can use the volume slider located at the bottom of the video.

If the monitor's name appears in System Information --> Audio but no sound actually plays through the monitor, then it's possible that monitor's volume has been turned down on the monitor itself.
@CaseySJ I had already checked this but the volume on the monitor was 50%. The monitor appears in preferences/sounds under sound effects (selected under the "play sound effects through" option as well as under output panel. It clearly shows the monitor being selected and the type is HDMI. Finally it also shows in the system, report under Audio. The slightly weird thing is than in system report/audio the manufacturer is Apple which is not correct (should be Gigabyte) but the output source is correct (model of the monitor).

@CaseySJ Hi there, I have - what a surprise :) - a sleep/wake issue after updating Monterey 12.1. Actually got 2 issues:
1. Sleep: the system does not go to sleep on its own after the a certain period of time. I readjusted the duration but nothing is happening. I type pmset .... to see the log past the duration but nothing. The only output I have is the last forced manual sleep or wake.
2. Wake: although I have no issue waking up the system via the power button, the system wakes up on its own. It is random but each time that happens I have the following in the pmset log:

2021-12-18 07:00:06 +1100 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to RTC PEG2 PEG3 RP04/HID Activity Using AC (Charge:0%)

It seems the culprit is RP04/HID. I don't think it is RTC, PEG2 or PEG3. I had a look at RP04 using ioreg but it does not tell me much. Here are some screenshots. Any idea?
Also that might be far fetched but going through all RPXX in ioreg, their acpi-wake-gpe values are 0x69. The only one with 0x6F is RP04! It might not mean much but who knows. It also quite possible that the wake is normal and that I never noticed before because the system would go back to sleep on its own eventually which is not the case anymore. Maybe in the end the only issue is the sleep issue.

1639781822323.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I had already checked this but the volume on the monitor was 50%. The monitor appears in preferences/sounds under sound effects (selected under the "play sound effects through" option as well as under output panel. It clearly shows the monitor being selected and the type is HDMI. Finally it also shows in the system, report under Audio. The slightly weird thing is than in system report/audio the manufacturer is Apple which is not correct (should be Gigabyte) but the output source is correct (model of the monitor).
And do you have speakers or headphones plugged into the monitor?

Thanks for responding Casey.

I am using a discrete AMD graphics card for my main display, as you will see in my IO Registry. I also doubled checked my bios on my vision D and it is set to enabled for internal graphics. I am enclosing the IO Register for my vision D for your reviewal. Also I am enclosing screenshots of what you requested for my son's vision G. Please note that I used the open core folders from this thread in order to upgrade to Monterey.......Opencore 076. Nothing was changed or modified in the folder except for the platform info for each build. Hope this info helps you in determining my problem. Again, thanks in advance.

Wayne
On the Vision D:
  • iGPU is enabled properly and is in headless mode as expected.
  • iGPU device properties are also present in IOReg.
  • iGPU will not appear in System Information --> Graphics/Displays. It should, however, appear in System Information --> PCI. If it does not appear there, please try a cold boot.
On the Vision G:
  • I am still trying to understand what the issue is with on-board audio on Vision G. Please try commenting-out the device-id line by changing it to #device-id. Refer to the first screenshot where device-id is set to 709D0000. Placing a hash mark in front of the property name has the effect of deactivating it.

On the Vision D:
  • iGPU is enabled properly and is in headless mode as expected.
  • iGPU device properties are also present in IOReg.
  • iGPU will not appear in System Information --> Graphics/Displays. It should, however, appear in System Information --> PCI. If it does not appear there, please try a cold boot.
On the Vision G:
  • I am still trying to understand what the issue is with on-board audio on Vision G. Please try commenting-out the device-id line by changing it to #device-id. Refer to the first screenshot where device-id is set to 709D0000. Placing a hash mark in front of the property name has the effect of deactivating it.

I think maybe adding the layout-id 0B000000 will fix the audio problem. It did for me and others when upgrading to Monterey.

@CaseySJ - Want to thank you sincerely for all your help getting this machine running, and would like to donate/tip if you have a paypal account or something for that.

Just picked up an ASUS Aquantia AQ107. I guess it's not plug and play, so what do I need to do to get it to show up in Monterey?

EDIT - Nevermind, found the patch and enabled it so the Aquantia is now working. Getting there!

Now I just need to decide if I need to do the Thunderbolt flash. My Apollo x8 is working with the standard firmware, but I haven't tried much else. Wondering what functionality I'll gain with the flash. I am trying to make this replace my 2018 Mac Mini as my main machine, so I am not too concerned about losing TB3 functionality in Windows.

Last edited:
I think maybe adding the layout-id 0B000000 will fix the audio problem. It did for me and others when upgrading to Monterey.
I did that (adding layout-id 0B000000) and removed alcid=11 from the boot args. That worked I'm sure, but today most of my audio devices disappeared (internal speakers, all airplay devices). I rebooted but they didn't come back. I reset NVRAM and I heard the Apple Sound but once booted they were still not there. Right now I've commented out the audio-id in DeviceProperties and put alcid=11 back in boot args and the audio devices are back once again and audio is working. I've also had audio issues on Windows occasionally. Yesterday I was playing a game in Windows 10 with audio and suddenly the audio quit. Not sure why.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
On the Vision G:
I can only speak for myself, but the issue was this:

The EFI provided for Vision-G has 2 audio codec id's, one is in the boot args as alcid=11, and the other is in device properties PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) that has the device-id set to 709D0000. Audio does not work on my G with those both in place. If I removed alcid=11 and left device-id set to 709D0000, audio would not work. But if I removed device-id set to 709D0000, and kept alcid=11 in boot args, audio worked.

I read in the dortania guide for the applealc 1220 which states that any alcid=xxx boot argument has highest priority over any other properties for ALC, so IF alcid=11 is in the boot args, it will override anything else used to define the audio codec. My guess is alcid=11 will sometimes work, and sometimes not work with a device property id in place, but it depends on what device property used.

For example, I originally thought that changing the device layout id to 28 fixed audio (which it did), but I DID NOT remove alcid=11 when I did that. When I removed alcid=11 and kept layout id 28, audio didn’t work. My guess is alcid=11 is able to override layout id 28 when both are in place, but alcid=11 has issues overriding device-id set to 709D0000 when both are in place.

I have since removed the boot arg alcid=11, and have put in its place in the device PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) with layout-id 0B000000 with the type set as DATA. that has fixed my audio. this is the exact same thing as removing device id for audio and just using alcid=11, but only do one, don't do both! Dortania says that to set audio id in device properties, and not in boot args, will "create a more permanent solution for closer to how real macs set their Layout ID"

Hope this helps with any confusion here, and if anyone knows better than me please speak up and correct me!

Last edited:
Back