Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

If you can boot into Mojave, try starting the Monterey upgrade again.

If that also fails then a fallback plan would be to install fresh copy of Monterey and use Migration Assistant to import applications and data from the backup (cloned) disk.

I installed a fresh copy of Monterey and then used the Migration Assistant to get my data over. Worked perfectly, but then, as soon as I installed the HighPoint-Driver for my Highpoint 7101a Card the system hangs on boot. Thats strange as this controller is working perfectly on Big Sur in this machine. Anything I could do? Maybe its because I'm using iMac Pro as SMBios and this machine has no PCIe slots? But as I said, its working on Big Sur with the exact same EFI ..

I installed a fresh copy of Monterey and then used the Migration Assistant to get my data over. Worked perfectly, but then, as soon as I installed the HighPoint-Driver for my Highpoint 7101a Card the system hangs on boot. Thats strange as this controller is working perfectly on Big Sur in this machine. Anything I could do? Maybe its because I'm using iMac Pro as SMBios and this machine has no PCIe slots? But as I said, its working on Big Sur with the exact same EFI ..
The Highpoint driver might be incompatible with Monterey. Although there's a Big Sur driver on the website, it would be good to check with Highpoint whether it is compatible with Monterey. For now it will be necessary to boot into Monterey "Recovery" and use Terminal to delete the high point driver. Simply follow the same command line statements I provided earlier, but delete only the Highpoint driver and then touch /Library/Extensions.

** OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI for Z490 Vision D and G **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.
Ha, I usually have boot chime off, and every time I update I go through everything else in the config, but then every time forget to switch it off... until it blasts my ears (speakers have their own volume control). It has become my own little ritual. Up and running 0.7.6, much obliged ;)

Just a heads up to anyone running on MacPro7,1: when I switched from iMacPro1,1 to MacPro7,1 I noticed a slight drop in geekbench scores. Once I configured my memory modules correctly with the link below the scores went back to what they normally were, so this seems more than cosmetic.

Spoiler: Avoid Memory Notification Warnings the Right Way with Mac Pro 7,1 AMD RX 6000 series GPUs tend to work best when the System Product Name is MacPro7,1. Unfortunately, this often produces a series of annoying memory notifications. We can finally avoid this problem by configuring memory modules properly in OpenCore config.plist as described in this post.

Credit: @rj510

Below, middle score is with RestrictEvents.kext, top score is with configuring memory modules.

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 1.46.43 PM.png

** OpenCore 0.7.6 EFI for Z490 Vision D and G **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.
...​
Could we add a notice about a fact that some people lost audio device after upgrading to 12?

Circling back to USB Bluetooth dongle question. Now that 0.76 has been released with no Laird support, are there ANY USB bluetooth dongles working in Monterey? I don't want to use the built-in bluetooth.

I'm using an Asus BT400 which seems ok so far (but I don't really use many bluetooth features.)

Last edited:
Could we add a notice about a fact that some people lost audio device after upgrading to 12?
Please do not quote these guides in their entirety. The title contains this statement.

Losing audio is not a systemic issue nor a widespread one that would justify a warning.

BIOS version F21 released, I don't recommend to to update to this version because of description:
"Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns."

This version has "major vulnerabilities updates", but it may be incompatible with macOS, and after update to F21 we can't reverse to previous version.

I'm using an Asus BT400 which seems ok so far (but I don't really use many bluetooth features.)
Just to confirm: You’re using the Asus BT400 with Monterey?

BIOS version F21 released, I don't recommend to to update to this version because of description:
"Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns."

This version has "major vulnerabilities updates", but it may be incompatible with macOS, and after update to F21 we can't reverse to previous version.

Just looking on Gigabyte's website. What is a "capsule" BIOS?

Back