Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks @CaseySJ

I discovered some interesting stuff:

1. I'm still not able to upgrade to Monterey, but I'm able to boot into Monterey Recovery after the upgrade failed.
2. When I open a Terminal in Recovery and enter `kmutil trigger-panic-medic` the system boots into Monterey next time. Everything seems to work but of course the kernel extensions are not loaded. Without doing anything (so not approving any extensions) rebooting the system leads to a crash again (see attached screenshot).

So in summary: Monterey boots when I do a `kmutil trigger-panic-medic` in Recovery before. Any idea how I could fix this? Thanks a lot!
First I need to ask at which step of the upgrade process is this problem occurring?
  • After double-clicking “Install macOS Monterey”, does it finish the preparation work and invoke the first reboot? Or does it get stuck before saying “System will reboot in 60 seconds”?
  • If it finishes the prep stage and begins the reboot, then the second stage begins. Does the second stage fail to start?

Seems there might be a kext conflict. You can boot Monterey in safe mode, which disables third party kexts.

Let’s do this:
  • Boot into Recovery partition
  • Open Terminal
  • List the contents of /Volumes/YourSSD/Library/Extensions (replace YourSSD with actual name of your SSD)
  • Also compress and post your OpenCore EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” before compressing.

Last edited:
If it helps at all, I had all sorts of weirdness when I tried upgrading to Monterey. But a clean install was fine. So I ended up doing a CCC backup to external disk, then a clean install of Monterey and then used Migration Assistant to get everything back from the backup. More faff, but everything works...

Hey @CaseySJ

I was looking on the Fixing Audio with AppleALC dortania webpage, and noticed that it states that the boot arg alcid=xxx takes top priority and will ignore all other entries like in DeviceProperties. If thats the case, is it incorrect to define a device property for AppleALC while using the boot arg alcid=11?

I have both alcid=11 and a device property with layout id number 28 on my config, which luckily works fine(I use the audio out jack for speakers). Just curious!

First I need to ask at which step of the upgrade process is this problem occurring?
  • After double-clicking “Install macOS Monterey”, does it finish the preparation work and invoke the first reboot? Or does it get stuck before saying “System will reboot in 60 seconds”?
  • If it finishes the prep stage and begins the reboot, then the second stage begins. Does the second stage fail to start?

Seems there might be a kext conflict. You can boot Monterey in safe mode, which disables third party kexts.

Let’s do this:
  • Boot into Recovery partition
  • Open Terminal
  • List the contents of /Volumes/YourSSD/Library/Extensions (replace YourSSD with actual name of your SSD)
  • Also compress and post your OpenCore EFI folder, but remove serial numbers from “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” before compressing.

Thanks @CaseySJ - it finishes the first state, reboots several times and then crashes. So its definitaly the second stage. As mentioned I'm even able to boot into Monterey after doing the kmutil-thing in recovery mode.

How to boot into safe mode?

These are the extensions:

Bash:
❯ ll /Library/Extensions
Permissions Size User Date Modified Name
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 10 Oct 14:41  AuthenticationSupport.plugin
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 10 Oct 14:41  AuthenticationSupportEnabler.plugin
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 14 Jan  2020  EnergyDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 21 Mar 14:56  HighPointNVMe.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 26 Aug  2020  intelhaxm.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 14 Nov 10:31  RMEFirefaceUSB.kext
drwxr-xr-x     - root  1 Jan  2020  SoftRAID.kext

I attached my EFI-Folder. Thanks again!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 67
Changing the device layout id fixed my audio issue, maybe give this a try. View attachment 536340
Legend! This worked perfectly for me first time - Thanks Haurb900!!!

Now, if only I knew enough about this stuff to mess around with the built-in 2.5GbE port config! But I know there are much smarter people than me on the job :). Back to undoing the Safari v15 mess.....sigh.

Last edited:
Thanks @CaseySJ - it finishes the first state, reboots several times and then crashes. So its definitaly the second stage. As mentioned I'm even able to boot into Monterey after doing the kmutil-thing in recovery mode.

How to boot into safe mode?

These are the extensions:

Bash:
❯ ll /Library/Extensions
Permissions Size User Date Modified Name
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 10 Oct 14:41  AuthenticationSupport.plugin
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 10 Oct 14:41  AuthenticationSupportEnabler.plugin
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 14 Jan  2020  EnergyDriver.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 21 Mar 14:56  HighPointNVMe.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 26 Aug  2020  intelhaxm.kext
drwxr-xr-x@    - root 14 Nov 10:31  RMEFirefaceUSB.kext
drwxr-xr-x     - root  1 Jan  2020  SoftRAID.kext

I attached my EFI-Folder. Thanks again!
One of these kernel extensions is a likely culprit. I would suggest deleting two of them listed below. Once Monterey is up and running, it will be necessary to reinstall the applications that use those kernel extensions.
  • Boot the Recovery partition
  • Open Terminal
  • Enter the commands shown below, but replace YourSSD with the actual name of your macOS SSD:
Bash:
cd /Volumes/YourSSD/Library/Extensions

rm -rf intelhaxm.kext
rm -rf RMEFirefaceUSB.kext

touch /Volumes/YourSSD/Library/Extensions
  • Reboot and see if Monterey installation process continues...

Legend! This worked perfectly for me first time - Thanks Haurb900!!!

Now, if only I knew enough about this stuff to mess around with the built-in 2.5GbE port config! But I know there are much smarter people than me on the job :). Back to undoing the Safari v15 mess.....sigh.
If Safari still won't start, please try the following in Terminal (this fixes a mistake I made in previous post):
Bash:
cd /Applications
./Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari &
What do you see on the command line?

If Safari still won't start, please try the following in Terminal (this fixes a mistake I made in previous post):
Bash:
cd /Applications
./Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari &
What do you see on the command line?
"[1] 1049"
Safari window opens immediately - thanks! Subsequent opening "New Window" works too (no safe-mode required). I rebooted and Safari seems back to opening normally. Not quite sure what happened here but happy :). Thank you!

That said, I'm back to having lost all signs of my ability to re-open my windows from Last Session from History (but to be clear, that was already a seperate issue I'd discovered even opening Safari in Safe Mode. I don't have a backup of those Catalina Safari files so unless the upgrade keeps a copy somewhere, I'm guessing they are gone :(

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ - Any reason you could think why 'Internal Graphics' wouldn't be appearing in the BIOS on my Vision G / 10700k config? Have tried updating BIOS but no change.

Back