Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Before I go any further I would like to echo the same as posted on here, Thank You very much for all the hard work you've done here for me and the entire tonymacx86 community.

Regarding Grace Design m905:
  • Which version of macOS are you using?
  • Is this device known to work with that version of macOS?
  • Which USB port is it connected to?
  • Is it connected via a USB hub or directly into the rear IO panel of motherboard?
  • Does it help to connect it to a different USB port?
  • Which music editing software do you use? Does that software recognize the m905?

*Catalina 10.15.7
*From what I read on Grace Designs web page as of recent versions it's suppose to be plug-n-play. I had to download drivers for Windows and it works fine via USB for normal computer sounds/audio and several of my DAWs in Windows10 (This how I listen to everything from my computer). Still though I will call them tomorrow to verify.
*I have it connected to the back panel USB 2.0 port (a) which is above the USB 2.0 port (b) Q-Flash Plus port. I have tried it in another USB port but had the same results.
*Connected directly in a USB ports, no hub.
*No it doesn't help but I will try all the back panel ports and the USB ports I'm using via the USB 3.2 header on my front panel.
*I've only installed Pro Tools and yes it's shown as an available audio device but no sound. From the Mac audio device window it shows the m905 but it says no output controls and the audio symbol in the upper right hand corner is grayed out until I select a different device.

Please try CMOS Reset by following the procedure in Gigabyte user manual. It will be necessary to configure BIOS parameters again afterwards, starting always with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).

It is possible that Linux installed its boot loader onto the same EFI partition as OpenCore. In that case, Linux takes precedence because it replaces OpenCore's "BOOTx64.efi" with its own.

P.S. When installing Linux or Windows, it is always best to physically remove the macOS SSD in order to make absolutely certain that neither Linux nor Windows will corrupt the OpenCore EFI partition.

Thanks Casey. A CMOS reset seems to have helped, although I have also removed the graphics card for the time being. (I was actually borrowing the GPU from my existing, working machine. I've a new one on order so will install that when it arrives next week.)

And I think what was certainly adding to my grief was an NVME drive with a completely empty EFI partition - it seemed to not like that at all. I don't know if that's normal/expected but it was basically my fault for rushing things.

Can I just add that the instructions here are *outstanding* and the help is very much appreciated. Thank you :)

Thanks Casey. A CMOS reset seems to have helped, although I have also removed the graphics card for the time being. (I was actually borrowing the GPU from my existing, working machine. I've a new one on order so will install that when it arrives next week.)

And I think what was certainly adding to my grief was an NVME drive with a completely empty EFI partition - it seemed to not like that at all. I don't know if that's normal/expected but it was basically my fault for rushing things.

Can I just add that the instructions here are *outstanding* and the help is very much appreciated. Thank you :)
@jonpm

It is okay to have an empty EFI partition, but it also implies that the operating system that was expected to install its boot loader into that partition instead installed its boot loader into another EFI partition. Linux is notorious for doing that!

It is okay to have an empty EFI partition, but it also implies that the operating system that was expected to install its boot loader into that partition instead installed its boot loader into another EFI partition. Linux is notorious for doing that!

Thanks. I'd not gotten as far as installing Linux, so it wasn't that. But it was almost certainly operator error... ;-)
I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. Anyway, everything seems OK right now, I'm still testing - this isn't the final install/build. I'm hoping the addition of the new RX580 won't break it - will keep you updated.

Thanks. I'd not gotten as far as installing Linux, so it wasn't that. But it was almost certainly operator error... ;-)
I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. Anyway, everything seems OK right now, I'm still testing - this isn't the final install/build. I'm hoping the addition of the new RX580 won't break it - will keep you updated.
Good to know. When it’s time to install Linux, I recommend physically removing macOS (and Windows) drives.

does somebody know what this process called bluetoothd is?
it always occur cpu 221% for a long time, why? how to get rid off?
WX20211112-204012@2x.png

I'm trying to install a UAD2 PCIe card in my mobo, but even after drivers are installed it doesn't recognize the card. I tried a AVID HDX card, a wifi card I had from a previous Hack build and nothing at all. Are the PCIe slots available for use in a hack with this build on 10.15.7 or do I need a different EFI?

This is going to drive me insane! ;) Still haven't figured out why this works on some systems and not others.

Maybe it might depend on the release date of motherboards/BIOSes because when z490s were announced I remember there was a problem with i225V and Intel had to change something wired in the chip with a b2 revision or something similar...

does somebody know what this process called bluetoothd is?
it always occur cpu 221% for a long time, why? how to get rid off? View attachment 534097
bluetoothd is a background Bluetooth service, but it should not be consuming so much CPU time. Some suggestions:
  • Disconnect all Bluetooth devices and check if CPU utilization drops.
  • Stop and restart Bluetooth from the menu bar. Then check if CPU utilization drops.
  • Reboot. Does this problem still occur?

Back