Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

** Reminder: Intel I-225V Ethernet port (red) does not work in Monterey for 99% of us **

We can use a USB or Thunderbolt adapter instead.

Hi there, I try to ask here as there's a huge expertise.

Basically I have a couple of hackintosh configured with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 without iGPU.
With these machines HEVC or H265 hardware acceleration in Final cut Pro doesn't work in Catalina / Big Sur.
H264 acceleration works in FCP.
H265 works in something like Handbrake exporting in H265 (videotoolbox) BUT never in Final Cut Pro.
This happens both with a Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB and a Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB stock card.
The system works fine for everything but H265 in FCP.
I tried adding a kext called HEVC enabler but it doesn't make any difference.

Anyone has a clue how to enable H265 acceleration in FCP?
Thanks a lot everyone.

Last edited:
Update:
  • Unfortunately the Intel I-225V Ethernet port still refuses to connect whether we set its device-id to F2158680 or F2150000 or F3158680.
  • Enabling and disabling SIP also does not appear to help.
For the time being, the Intel I-225V Ethernet port is unusable in Monterey. But there are other options such as:
  • Use the other Ethernet port on rear IO panel (not the red one)
  • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (requires AppleVTD to be enabled)
  • Thunderbolt 3 Dock with Ethernet port
  • USB-C Dock with Ethernet port (these are low cost)
Aquantia aqc107 10gbps works too via thunderbolt (or internally with a kext patch).

And apparently the m1 Mac mini has support for the newer aquantia AQC113 10gbps network chip, but I’ve never tried this on intel x86, so can’t verify.

This is indeed the big question, and a difficult one to answer. My early personal thoughts (subject to change as I read more independent reviews):
  • It appears to have leading edge performance although it's being compared to AMD's nearly 1-year old design.
  • But power consumption is still an issue, and early look from Hardware Canucks, for example, suggests that Intel's TDP numbers should not be taken at face value, and a beefy cooler is necessary.
  • We don't know how macOS will fare on the CPU.
    • macOS lacks the ability to schedule tasks effectively between P-core and E-cores on this processor
    • Disabling E-cores might improve overall performance in macOS if BIOS provides an option to disable E-cores
    • Z690 platform might present unique challenges
But the big strategic question is:
  • Knowing that Apple Silicon transition is well underway and all Macs will sport Apple Silicon chips by end of next year, does it make sense to build an Intel-based Hackintosh today?
  • The answer might still be yes, because we should continue to see macOS supported on Intel for a handful of years. So if Apple's own desktop offerings are as expensive as the new 14" and 16" laptops would lead us to believe, then an Intel-based Hackintosh could still make sense.
    • Assuming we can get macOS running on Alder Lake and Z690, it could provide a cheaper but still highly competitive alternative.
My own inclination at this particular time is to wait and see. I'll let others do the pioneering work on this platform and study its feasibility as a Hackintosh. Based on that I'll decide what to do.
Having said that...
What would you do today?
Would you get a B550 Ryzen 5000 system that has quite good single core performance or still use Intel 10 or 11 gen. In this case I wouldn't need more than 6/8cores CPUs.

Thanks for your thoughts.

** Reminder: Intel I-225V Ethernet port (red) does not work in Monterey for 99% of us **

We can use a USB or Thunderbolt adapter instead.
That’s weird, why mine is working? Have you tried my config?

@lewys

Are you getting a proper IP address on that port ?
Yep screenshot.png

After couple hours read all those bugs at update Montentry, at least know how deep of the water....
remove all fakeID kext for Intel 225v ports, seems Montentry native support.
Check all devices, only bluetooth not working, try many ways fix it, but no luck at all. 2.6.1 bluetoolfixup also not working. Remember I chose BCM9460CDP wifi card, sure Apple native support. Off power pull it out and replug.
All working so smooth right now. Stupid me spend couple hours debug....
Next is try to fix the display card temperature info, @CaseySJ any easy way to fix that?

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.06.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.05.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.06.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 1.08.03 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Back