Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Cross-posting this here too (maybe helpful for some): My Intel I225-V (on a Z590 Vision G) is now working, the solution works on Big Sur 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.0.1. See fix here.

Cross-posting this here too (maybe helpful for some): My Intel I225-V (on a Z590 Vision G) is now working, the solution works on Big Sur 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.0.1. See fix here.
The device ID spoofing technique is something we still use in Catalina. Looks like we’ll need to do that in Monterey as well.

Pro: It allows us to use that port.
Con: The port is limited to 1GbE.

The procedure is described in the “Catalina” section in this post:

Please re-check all parts of Step 13 (in Post 1):
Hello CaseySJ,
I didn't have a chance to return to my backup problem till today. It looks like the problem is in the script - complaining about non-zero exit status. Do you have an idea what that could be?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 8.42.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 8.42.16 PM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 39
Took the plunge on Monterey, and all went well. But my trusty Laird BT-851 USB Bluetooth that worked on 11.6.1 doesn't work on 12.0.1. So far no other issues. None of my old USB BT dongles work. I've never bothered with the Z490 built-in BT or WiFi stuff.

Looks like BlueToolFixup.kext got pulled for revisions until next Monday or later? The current one doesn't work for me. The word is Apple is "actively" developing on Monterey bluetooth, so probably BluTool is a bit of a moving target.

Last edited:
This my results, no slow boot more in Monterey 12.0.1 after fresh install

kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk3 scan took 9.642955 s, trims took 9.464152 s
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk7 scan took 1.538292 s, trims took 1.344186 s

:clap: thank for help with your post, waiting to resolve ethernet condition...

Observation for others to corroborate:
I've recently begun to experience USB attached drives disconnecting on wake-from-sleep. This hasn't been an issue for me ever when the drives are connected to intel controllers (but it is a well known issue when connected to ASMedia USB controllers) [..]

Hi

Are you saying you never experienced issues when using USB enclosures running ASMedia chipset? I did. However, I found out* something interesting. Using a type-c to type-c cable, Hack won't sleep, regardless of the type-c port I am using. Instead, using a USB 3.1 Gen1 (or Gen2) port doesn't exhibit the issue when using the same enclosure.
I am wondering if the reason you are not experiencing any issue is because you aren't using a straight type-c to type-c connection.

*...there's a twist: I also own a LaCie d2 Professional, which uses ASMedia chipset & type-c connection, and it has no issues when connected using a type-c to type-c cable.

The current Mac Pro has NVMe slots so I hope the replacement models (both small form factor and large) also contain NVMe slots. I would also expect DIMM slots, but most likely they won’t contain internal 3.5” HDD bays. As much as I like the idea of internal SATA HDDs for large media libraries (I use 8TB internal HDD), I think we will have to switch to external storage arrays. They can definitely be connected directly (Direct Attached Storage).
If I don't remember badly ... there were two SATA ports in MP 2019.... https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...o-the-mac-pro-with-the-sonnet-fusion-flex-j3i

you just need a custom bracket to mount them. Unfortunately I have big photo and music libraries as well, and at the moment I have two HDD 6B and 8TB respectively... so I dream of some ports... Please Apple makes a miracles and build a real green upgradable a repairable build!!!

Back to Hackintosh: I think I will stay with what I have for a while even if I really would like to have my 2,5 Gbe working. I hope Mieze or something else will develop a kext ... I do wanna have 2,5 Gbe speed!

Hi

Are you saying you never experienced issues when using USB enclosures running ASMedia chipset? I did. However, I found out* something interesting. Using a type-c to type-c cable, Hack won't sleep, regardless of the type-c port I am using. Instead, using a USB 3.1 Gen1 (or Gen2) port doesn't exhibit the issue when using the same enclosure.
I am wondering if the reason you are not experiencing any issue is because you aren't using a straight type-c to type-c connection.

*...there's a twist: I also own a LaCie d2 Professional, which uses ASMedia chipset & type-c connection, and it has no issues when connected using a type-c to type-c cable.
Hi, for clarity: I’ve always had issues with drives disconnecting on wake from sleep when attached to asmedia usb controllers on the motherboard. Intel controllers seem to be fine. I’m currently thinking my ‘new’ issue relates to
secureBootModel=default as that has been a recent change… I’m going to test as secureBootModel=disabled and see if that solves the issue.

Hi

Also, I use no usb-c connections at all :)

Back