Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Ive read many reports of users who already had betas of Monterey working great. Has anyone upgraded their current stable 11.6 to Monterey along with OpenCore 0.7.4. Anything to look out for? Or is it pretty much just plug and play?

Thanks in advance!

OS Monterey 12.0.1 Install just fine as a Upgrade to 11.6 running OpenCore 0.7.4. Took about 30min and a few reboots...

Let's assume for a moment that bootable backups are no longer an option and we have (a) many third-party licensed applications, (b) many third-party licensed plug-ins, (c) lots of project files, data files, etc.

We know that:
  • macOS system files are installed in their own APFS sealed volume.
  • All of our applications, plug-ins, project files, data files, etc. are stored on the "data" volume.
We can:
  • Make full and incremental backups of the "data" volume freely.
    • Understandably, this is the 'stuff' that's most important to us.
In the event of a system crash or other major or minor disaster:
  • We can reformat the internal SSD and reinstall macOS from scratch.
  • We can then clone our backed-up "data" volume to the internal "data" volume that is located in the same volume groupas the newly installed macOS.
    • Question 1: Is this viable?
    • Question 2: If not viable, then we can clone our backed-up data volume to a new APFS volume created on the internal SSD.
  • We can then go to System Preferences --> Users & Groups --> Advanced and point our home directory to the restored data volume.
So total recovery time would be:
  • Time to install macOS from scratch
  • Time to clone backup "data" volume to new internal data volume
Does anyone see a technical glitch in this scenario?
Just the time factor, which is why some of us keep bootable backups. Time to continue working is the time it takes up plug in a drive and restart.

I think my long boot time issue is probably not related to Samsung 970 EVO SSD. It is probably related to a software issue. I will get an apple logo and loading bar at the beginning of the booting process and then my screen went black for 30~60 seconds then I will get into the Apple login page. Which means that I won't be able to see that loading bar filled up as my computer is booting? @CaseySJ any idea of that?

Just to know: I created the USB with Monterey Install, boot my hack and formatting the Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB will be really slow to erase with Disk Utility, about 2 minutes, will be normal maybe!?!?! I don't know, but to slow too formatting... now I'll install a clean copy of Monterey... I will to know in a short

I will confirm: with the fresh install of Monterey on my Samsung M2 970 EVO the boot is correctly 16 seconds (I reboot sometimes)! Now I will just reinstall all App that I use. Thank you all.

I think my long boot time issue is probably not related to Samsung 970 EVO SSD. It is probably related to a software issue. I will get an apple logo and loading bar at the beginning of the booting process and then my screen went black for 30~60 seconds then I will get into the Apple login page. Which means that I won't be able to see that loading bar filled up as my computer is booting? @CaseySJ any idea of that?
I have given up on Samsung 970 EVO, and changed to WD SN750.

OK, I reinstalled Monterey on an Inland Premium 2TB NVME and then restored settings and files from my CCC backup disk via the Transfer Assistant.

Boot time is now 23 seconds vs close to two minutes on the Samsung 970 plus
See if trim is enabled.

you might have revision 1, or 3, some posts said rev 2 works.

my z490i has rev 1, not working.
How do I understand which version has in place on my motherboard (Asus Z490-Prime a)?

Back