Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

That's quite a cool device. I've seen them, considered one, but never taken the plunge. I guess if they do a sector-by-sector, bit-by-bit copy then even copy-protected files can be cloned disk to disk. True, this is something more likely to be useful for Optical Disks, but still ... Used as a back-up cloner, what a great idea. And if you have any spare hard-disks lying around (I have a few!) cheaper than paying for cloning software, long term. :wave:
have never used one before, always used software, back in the day to copy FAT32 partitions was a bootable Ghost disk :)

have never used one before, always used software, back in the day to copy FAT32 partitions was a bootable Ghost disk :)

It's a well-worn path, isn't it? I use the free copy of Acronis that came with my earlier SSDs. It was originally Windows only but I have a Mac version too now. Got a more recent version with a Sabrent USB to SATA adaptor cable. Free again !

It's a well-worn path, isn't it? I use the free copy of Acronis that came with my earlier SSDs. It was originally Windows only but I have a Mac version too now. Got a more recent version with a Sabrent USB to SATA adaptor cable. Free again !
I think you've missed the point.
They are saying that software cloning is not working now.

I think you've missed the point.
They are saying that software cloning is not working now.
Software cloning is still working, but it may become defunct in a future release of macOS. We're not sure, of course, but indications are pointing in that direction.

@CaseySJ something has arrived!
  • 14" Liquid Retina XDR Display is amazing. Thin bezels are wonderful.
  • Promotion is excellent but I'm used to 165 Hz 1440p monitors so 120 Hz promotion is not exactly groundbreaking to me, but it is definitely a massive improvement above every laptop I've ever owned (I've never owned a gamer laptop and I know some of the current models come with 144+Hz displays).
  • The notch isn't so bad but I'd rather no notch but it is invisible in full screen mode.
  • Thing is dead silent unlike my Intel MacBook which had mini jet engines as fans, and it got very hot to the touch at times... If the fans are spinning in this thing I can't hear them. Thing is cool to the touch.
  • Cool to be able to run some iPad Apps, I can finally run one of my favorite RSS readers (Heartfeed) on the Macintosh.
  • Keyboard is amazing, way better feel than the butterfly keyboard. I thought I'd miss the Touch Bar, but I don't. The blacked out look of the keys is quite cool.

I haven't tested everything yet, I still need to hook it up to my KillaWatt watt-meter to test power usage under load, and I'm still getting things set up, but given how cool this thing is to the touch and the performance per watt, Apple is changing the world. This thing is a work of art.

I wish this was an Intel chip inside with this insane performance per watt, I hope Intel comes back. But until then, Apple Silicon it is!

1635284147324.png

Back