Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I think I can act as devil's advocate saying that Mike has in mind real Mac users. We, hackintosh users, are more prone to render the system useless because are constantly tweaking and experimenting on hardware that is not officially supported. Should an issue occur on a real Mac user, system reinstall is in many cases the standard procedure anyway. Is that right?
It’s not wrong, but in my circle of professionals, we all keep bootable clones of our system installs because of the time it takes to install our individual software packages and libraries, and as @mm2margaret pointed out, our deadlines can be tight enough that a day of downtime to reinstall can sink a project. So, without bootable backup, we’re forced into having backup machines.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is the culprit, will confirm later

What ports are you experiencing the ejecting on if I may ask?

OK, so I just installed 11.6.1, and my computer is no longer giving me the disk ejection warning on wake-from-sleep,
but in 11.6 and 11.6.1, my streamdeck does not wake to it's original state either, and wake-from sleep is significantly longer than in 11.5. Since I now have appleVTD disabled, I'm inclined to assume this is a fundamental OS USB behaviour change from 11.6+

Looks like a lot of people are reporting slow boot times with Samsung 970 Evo / Evo Plus. Also with WD SN 550.

Are we talking hacks in general or the Vision D and slow boot times. I have 2 970 Evo Plus drives, only one is being used with mac os but it is on my Z390 Designaire build on 10.15.7. I have not had any problems that I am aware of using the 970 though I have read and can see there could be several.

On a side note, on this Vision D build I'm using a Samsung 860Pro SSD and boot time is ~20 secs (starting after the opencore chooser), so I can see a boot on NVMe over 30 seconds doesn't sound right...

I'm considering buying a NVMe for the Vision D. Is there a favorable controller we should be looking for?

Are we talking hacks in general or the Vision D and slow boot times. I have 2 970 Evo Plus drives, only one is being used with mac os but it is on my Z390 Designaire build on 10.15.7. I have not had any problems that I am aware of using the 970 though I have read and can see there could be several.

On a side note, on this Vision D build I'm using a Samsung 860Pro SSD and boot time is ~20 secs (starting after the opencore chooser), so I can see a boot on NVMe over 30 seconds doesn't sound right...

I'm considering buying a NVMe for the Vision D. Is there a favorable controller we should be looking for?
Because not everyone with a Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus is experiencing (or reporting) slow boot times with Monterey, the jury is still out on the exact cause. But @manfriday saw this in his boot log:
Code:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 0.921803 s, trim took 93.611921 s
Notice that trim took over 93 seconds. But setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 999 (i.e. disable trim) did not make a difference.

Some of the drives I use (without any slow boot issue) are:
  • Silicon Power
  • ADATA SX series
  • Sabrent Rocket
  • Crucial P1/P2

I can also confirm that the boot time on my wifes little hackintosh has increased with Monterey using a 970 as well..
I am in the process of trying to clone my system from my 970 onto a Inland Premium, which uses a different controller.
Having some trouble getting a bootable copy using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have been out of the loop for a little while, so maybe things have changed and CCC is not the prefered method of migrating a system from one disk to another anymore?

Because not everyone with a Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus is experiencing (or reporting) slow boot times with Monterey, the jury is still out on the exact cause. But @manfriday saw this in his boot log:
Code:
kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3153: disk5 scan took 0.921803 s, trim took 93.611921 s
Notice that trim took over 93 seconds. But setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 999 (i.e. disable trim) did not make a difference.

Some of the drives I use (without any slow boot issue) are:
  • Silicon Power
  • ADATA SX series
  • Sabrent Rocket
  • Crucial P1/P2
Just thinking to buy Crucial P5 Plus 1TB high performances... what do you think about this?
Thank you for your help!

I can also confirm that the boot time on my wifes little hackintosh has increased with Monterey using a 970 as well..
I am in the process of trying to clone my system from my 970 onto a Inland Premium, which uses a different controller.
Having some trouble getting a bootable copy using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have been out of the loop for a little while, so maybe things have changed and CCC is not the prefered method of migrating a system from one disk to another anymore?
Simple procedure:
  • Format the Inland Premium SSD as:
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Use CCC to make a clone. Don't worry about "EFIClone.sh" script.
  • When clone is done, mount EFI partitions of (a) Samsung SSD and (b) Inland Premium SSD.
    • Use Finder to drag-and-drop the EFI folder from (a) to (b)
  • Bootable backup done.

Just thinking to buy Crucial P5 Plus 1TB high performances... what do you think about this?
Thank you for your help!
That's a very tempting price for 1TB PCIe 4.0! Looks like a good choice.

Might want to wait a little bit for @manfriday to switch from Samsung 970 to Inland Premium to determine whether boot time becomes normal...

Simple procedure:
  • Format the Inland Premium SSD as:
    • Format: APFS
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • Use CCC to make a clone. Don't worry about "EFIClone.sh" script.
  • When clone is done, mount EFI partitions of (a) Samsung SSD and (b) Inland Premium SSD.
    • Use Finder to drag-and-drop the EFI folder from (a) to (b)
  • Bootable backup done.
Yeah that is exactly what I did.
But when I boot, OC sees the MacOS volume on the Samsung, and an EFI volume, but not the newly imaged "Monterey" volume on the Inland Premium.

weird.

Last edited:
Back