Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Well all, it happened: bootable backup clones with CCC are gone. At least for me with CCC 6.0.4 and Monterey.

I just had a long and not very pleasant email dialogue with Mike Bombich about my recent attempt to clone my Monterey install. It failed, and Mike pointed out that this will happen much more in the future as many of us knew - because this is what Apple wants.

Now I did use the legacy boot option, but it failed. Mike pointed out why, but clearly reminded me that soon there won't be a legacy boot option anyway, because that is what Apple wants.

His recommendation was try plan B: Plan B for a simple bootable backup is kind of a nightmare, which, if you read below, he fullly admits. First, you install your OS on your projected clone. (In my case, that took a LONG time on a very fast NVME drive). Then your best bet is to use migration assistant to migrate all your settings to your bootable backup clone. Again, that takes a dreadful amount of time.

Now I have done this and I'm looking at about three hours. And remember, every time Apple upgrades its code, you will have to upgrade this way. Imagine that....

How do you quickly recover from a failure? Well, he actually has no answer for that.....

More from our dialogue:

MIKE: "No, I'm actually suggesting that you stop doing that."

MIKE: "I agree! Please, stop doing it this way! Don't make bootable backups, make Standard Backups instead (i.e. the "default settings"). This is precisely the experience that I'm trying to have people avoid, this is why I'm trying to convince people to stop trying to make the backup bootable. What do you have when this is complete? Is the bootable backup substantively better than a Standard (non-bootable) backup? No, it's marginally better at best, and given the hassle that you have to go through to make and keep it bootable, I think it's now worse."

The problem that Mike deftly avoids is the situation wherein you need to complete a project and you can't because of disk failure. If you could boot your backup, you could do what's needed to complete it.

But sure, if you have multiple Macs sitting around doing nothing and you have the backup of the project you could just move the project over to your excess machine (Well, sure I have a couple of Mac Pros just sitting around waiting for me to use them). You do too, right?

You know this sounds like a ploy by Apple to make sure they can sell more hardware. Because if you've got a critical project, you have to have two Mac Pros (or two of any Mac hardware). And they have to be mirrored and exactly the same. Then and only then can you trust that if you move a project from a failed Mac to another Mac, you can count on being able to continue uninterrupted.
All of this. If my machine goes down, it’s one thing to do an OS install. Another thing entirely to do an OS + all of my software and libraries. It’s literal 100s of gigs of download software. It takes over a day to accomplish a full install.

Edit: replied before reading the whole thread. My comments still stand, but it sounds like there are options. Also sounds like data structure changes?
Like, is apple’s /system/library/application support/
Separate from a 3rd party’s
/system/library/application support/ ?

Last edited:
Hi fellow vision-g user, I have question:

How the ethernet issue looks like? no ethernet at all or is it just a downgrade from 2.5Gbit to 1Gbit?

Thanks!
Juan
Hi Juan, my issue with Ethernet is this: no network! the driver is installed but don't works correctly! see the pictures.
Thanks

Attachments

• Mac di Gianni  2021-10-26 alle 15.10.45.png
    Mac di Gianni 2021-10-26 alle 15.10.45.png
    571.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Mac di Gianni  2021-10-26 alle 15.11.13.png
    Mac di Gianni 2021-10-26 alle 15.11.13.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 53
Some issues on my Hackintosh:
  1. I have a M2 Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB, with new version Monterey 12.0.1 is affected by the boot soooo slow (I have only MacOS partition, only Mac, no Windows), the entire disk is in APFS (this issue I don't have it with my second hackintosh because I have installed a M2 of Crucial 500 GB).
  2. I have update the BIOS to from F20d to F21a (for support Windows 11, no need it but I did); not a issue this or maybe...
  3. After 4 reboots to update Monterey, the sound don't works, so I remembered that I must to get a "#" before "device-id" in the DeviceProperties (pic), and now working fine (for my second hackintosh too) - (then this issue is resolved ;))
In this moment that's all. Please help me to resolve the issue with M2.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Mac di Gianni  2021-10-26 alle 15.22.03.png
    Mac di Gianni 2021-10-26 alle 15.22.03.png
    194 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a lot of people are reporting slow boot times with Samsung 970 Evo / Evo Plus. Also with WD SN 550.

I have had no problems in Monterey with:
  • Silicon Power
  • ADATA SX series
  • Sabrent Rocket
  • Crucial

Well, I really, really do wish that people would stop repeating that you must use the legacy approach with CCC. I have been using CCC for well over 10 years. I know how to use it, and how to use the "legacy" approach. I'm just saying its not reliable, and is not going to be around much longer.

A quote from Mike Bombich of CCC: "....APFS replication utility completed the task, but then failed to remount the destination. CCC tried to remount the destination as well, but also failed. The backup is whole, but CCC was unable to wrap up the final details of renaming the destination back to "imacProBkUp", and restoring a custom icon, if applicable. This is why CCC recommended that you erase the destination and try again."

Which I did, and it failed again, on a different disk. So clearly, it failed.

Furthermore, Mike pushes hard to not use the legacy approach "I agree! Please, stop doing it this way! Don't make bootable backups, make Standard Backups instead (i.e. the "default settings")".

And my final point is: soon, you will have no choice, you will not be able to use CCC to make bootable clones. I believe in preparation, and so I have taken steps to protect myself and my data.

What you, or Casey chooses to do, that's your choice. All the best.
I think I can act as devil's advocate saying that Mike has in mind real Mac users. We, hackintosh users, are more prone to render the system useless because are constantly tweaking and experimenting on hardware that is not officially supported. Should an issue occur on a real Mac user, system reinstall is in many cases the standard procedure anyway. Is that right?

Hi Juan, my issue with Ethernet is this: no network! the driver is installed but don't works correctly! see the pictures.
Thanks
I read is some forum that "HP NC360T Intel PRO/1000 PT LP Gigabit Dual Port = Intel 82571EB" is natively supported.
That could be a possible workaround for z490 vision g users.

Last edited:
I think I can act as devil's advocate saying that Mike has in mind real Mac users. We, hackintosh users, are more prone to render the system useless because are constantly tweaking and experimenting on hardware that is not officially supported. Should an issue occur on a real Mac user, system reinstall is in many cases the standard procedure anyway. Is that right?

This was all done on a "real" mac, not a hack.

But you are right that hacks need that bootable backup, at least that's my opinion. However, for now, for hacks, the good news is that they are typically Intel based (maybe AMD too) and are in a case that you can open.

So, on my two hacks (which are Intel based and are beta machines only) I can boot my Clonezilla USB and clone on my hacks (and I think you could do this with an Acronis USB as well). Once booted to Clonezilla, I can clone to another USB attached drive or I can clone to an internal drive that I can install. So, that works.

For now...

And Mike is a truly good guy, at least in his interactions wth me. We had another dialogue this morning. He clearly would prefer Apple would not have made the changes they have made, but he's doing his best to make this all work.

Last edited:
Some issues on my Hackintosh:
  1. I have a M2 Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB, with new version Monterey 12.0.1 is affected by the boot soooo slow (I have only MacOS partition, only Mac, no Windows), the entire disk is in APFS (this issue I don't have it with my second hackintosh because I have installed a M2 of Crucial 500 GB).
  2. I have update the BIOS to from F20d to F21a (for support Windows 11, no need it but I did); not a issue this or maybe...
  3. After 4 reboots to update Monterey, the sound don't works, so I remembered that I must to get a "#" before "device-id" in the DeviceProperties (pic), and now working fine (for my second hackintosh too) - (then this issue is resolved ;))
In this moment that's all. Please help me to resolve the issue with M2.
Thank you.
For issue 1, try setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 999 and reboot.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 6.53.40 AM.png

Also, if you're using Intel WiFi/BT, it's necessary to use new BlueToolFixup kext and disable IntelBluetoothInjector.

Last edited:
For issue 1, try setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 999 and reboot.

View attachment 532078
Also, if you're using Intel WiFi/BT, it's necessary to use new BlueToolFixup kext and disable IntelBluetoothInjector.
Thank you @CaseySJ I try your tip, but don't works :| I have see the previous post about this issue... and now I try... I don't have any issue with Wi-Fi/BT, all works fine.
Thank you

Back