Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Is the Samsung NVMe SSD still present in the system? If so, is it formatted as APFS or has it been reformatted as NTFS (Windows) or ext4 (Linux)?
Yes the Samsung NVMe SSD still present in the system and I have reformatted as an NTFS DATA drive for my windows system. My monitor often time went black screen during apple loading bar and come back at password login page. I don’t know if update to Monterey will fix the issues since currently my sidecar is not working too and getting timed out messages from connecting to my iPad error code 401.

Yes the Samsung NVMe SSD still present in the system and I have reformatted as an NTFS DATA drive for my windows system. My monitor often time went black screen during apple loading bar and come back at password login page. I don’t know if update to Monterey will fix the issues since currently my sidecar is not working too and getting timed out messages from connecting to my iPad error code 401.
If there are large pauses during system boot, there should be a record in the system log. So let’s do this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2000 > ~/Documents/boot log.txt
This will create file in Documents folder called “bootlog.txt”. Please compress and post that file.

If there are large pauses during system boot, there should be a record in the system log. So let’s do this in Terminal:
Bash:
log show --last boot | head -2000 > ~/Documents/boot log.txt
This will create file in Documents folder called “bootlog.txt”. Please compress and post that file.
Thank you so much for the help, I have compressed and put the bootleg.txt file in the attachment. Please take a look, thank you!

Attachments

• bootlog.txt.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 31
Thank you so much for the help, I have compressed and put the bootleg.txt file in the attachment. Please take a look, thank you!
Well, that only covered 2 seconds of the boot process. Was the last boot normal or slow?

last boot was between normal and slow. It was 55 secs from open core picker to apple password login. While it’s loading the screen went black midway and come back with a apple login even I tried to force the screen to stay awake. I am going to post more bootleg files.

last boot was between normal and slow. It was 55 secs from open core picker to apple password login. While it’s loading the screen went black midway and come back with a apple login even I tried to force the screen to stay awake. I am going to post more bootleg files.
Before posting, please check for any time stamp gaps in the boot log, like this:
Code:
log show --last boot > ~/Documents/full-boot-log.txt
Then open full-boot-log.txt in TextEdit or other text editor. Every line begins with a time stamp. Look for any significant gaps in those time stamps. Find anything? If so, simply post screenshot of each big gap.

Ever since APFS was developed, I've just been using a separate APFS volume for my User Directory... this has saved me countless times when I needed to reinstall macOS. Whenever I need to reinstall, I can format the installation volume just fine, no data loss (except perhaps for the apps in the /Applications folder, but one could theoretically make that it's own Volume as well).

Then when I reinstall macOS, and I create a user, I just go to System Preference->Users and Groups->Advanced Options, and point the newly created user's home directory to my existing directory on the safe APFS volume.

Restart and boom, I pick up exactly where I left off, sometimes I may have to re-login to iCloud, sometimes not.

Well, I just use Clonezilla now. As long as I have access, or some way to connect a drive and boot clonezilla, I can clone a bootable drive just fine. There's even a gui version of Clonezilla called rescuezilla available.

I just don't use Carbon Copy Cloner anymore. I've tried the legacy backup method and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Too unreliable for me. And, you have to keep in mind that its going to end soon, probably with the next version of macOS. That's a shame, because I like CCC but it just doesn't do what I need anymore. I won't be upgrading it anymore.

The problem I see with the method you identify above is, for me, the Applications directory. Creating a separate volume to me seems like a stretch and a lot of extra work, but if it works for you, great. For me, clonezilla works and works well enough, at least for now.

Well, I just use Clonezilla now. As long as I have access, or some way to connect a drive and boot clonezilla, I can clone a bootable drive just fine. There's even a gui version of Clonezilla called rescuezilla available.

I just don't use Carbon Copy Cloner anymore. I've tried the legacy backup method and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Too unreliable for me. And, you have to keep in mind that its going to end soon, probably with the next version of macOS. That's a shame, because I like CCC but it just doesn't do what I need anymore. I won't be upgrading it anymore.

The problem I see with the method you identify above is, for me, the Applications directory. Creating a separate volume to me seems like a stretch and a lot of extra work, but if it works for you, great. For me, clonezilla works and works well enough, at least for now.
That’s cool, whatever works for you.

I just made a bootable backup of a Monterey install using the legacy approach. I moved from a Samsung drive (with slow macOS boot times) to a WD SN750 NVME ssd (in a thunderbolt enclosure). And it worked just fine. My boot time dropped from over 90 seconds to 8 seconds. You just have to let it erase the destination disk fist.

I also used CCC yesterday to transfer my user directory (on an old MacBook Pro) to another disk temporarily so I could fresh install Big Sur 11.6.1. CCC can copy whole drives or just certain folders. Your choice.

I’m using open core legacy patcher on my old MacBook since Apple cut it off at Catalina! I never thought I’d be using OC on a real MacBook, but Big Sur is running beautifully. Wifi Bluetooth intel hd 4000 acceleration all working. I needed to use CCC to copy my files because the built in macOS Finder wouldn’t transfer my 400,000+ files that I accumulated since 2012.

I haven’t had any problems with CCC and I’ve been using it for years.

Thank you all, I have update my system OpenCore 0.7.4 from Big Sur 11.6 to Monterey 12.0.1, any issues and about 40 min. 4 reboots. All working really fine! Waiting to resolve the Ethernet issue for Monterey.
Hi fellow vision-g user, I have question:

How the ethernet issue looks like? no ethernet at all or is it just a downgrade from 2.5Gbit to 1Gbit?

Thanks!
Juan

That’s cool, whatever works for you.

I just made a bootable backup of a Monterey install using the legacy approach. I moved from a Samsung drive (with slow macOS boot times) to a WD SN750 NVME ssd (in a thunderbolt enclosure). And it worked just fine. My boot time dropped from over 90 seconds to 8 seconds. You just have to let it erase the destination disk fist.

I also used CCC yesterday to transfer my user directory (on an old MacBook Pro) to another disk temporarily so I could fresh install Big Sur 11.6.1. CCC can copy whole drives or just certain folders. Your choice.

I’m using open core legacy patcher on my old MacBook since Apple cut it off at Catalina! I never thought I’d be using OC on a real MacBook, but Big Sur is running beautifully. Wifi Bluetooth intel hd 4000 acceleration all working. I needed to use CCC to copy my files because the built in macOS Finder wouldn’t transfer my 400,000+ files that I accumulated since 2012.

I haven’t had any problems with CCC and I’ve been using it for years.

Well, I really, really do wish that people would stop repeating that you must use the legacy approach with CCC. I have been using CCC for well over 10 years. I know how to use it, and how to use the "legacy" approach. I'm just saying its not reliable, and is not going to be around much longer.

A quote from Mike Bombich of CCC: "....APFS replication utility completed the task, but then failed to remount the destination. CCC tried to remount the destination as well, but also failed. The backup is whole, but CCC was unable to wrap up the final details of renaming the destination back to "imacProBkUp", and restoring a custom icon, if applicable. This is why CCC recommended that you erase the destination and try again."

Which I did, and it failed again, on a different disk. So clearly, it failed.

Furthermore, Mike pushes hard to not use the legacy approach "I agree! Please, stop doing it this way! Don't make bootable backups, make Standard Backups instead (i.e. the "default settings")".

And my final point is: soon, you will have no choice, you will not be able to use CCC to make bootable clones. I believe in preparation, and so I have taken steps to protect myself and my data.

What you, or Casey chooses to do, that's your choice. All the best.

Last edited:
Back