Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ On Vision G with Big Sur 11.6 and I'm having an issue with getting FaceTime working, however iMessage & App Store are totally fine.

Following your notes back on page 199 - did fresh serial/UUID/ROM etc, it's a valid serial (not used) on Apple coverage checker, my ethernet is set to en0, signed out and back in all devices.

FaceTime signs in fine, and I get notification on my other devices that says a new device is now using FaceTime / iMessage, I just can't make any calls and the FT icons are greyed out in my Contacts list. When I first boot up for the first 5mins however, the icons are blue and I can quickly make a call out, and they can see me but I don't receive video back.

Any thoughts from the master?

Thanks @CaseySJ , it is weird - Resources folder in the 0.7.4 zip file came with the structure only but no files .. Is that normal? Shall I try to download again or shall I still go ahead with replacement?

I will check your BIOS suggestions to keep the boot going. Thanks for helping!!
The Resources folder is definitely not empty! Simply go to the top of Post 1 and click the link for OpenCore 0.7.4 mini-guide. Download the smaller of the two zip files (the one on left). You’ll find a complete Resources folder.

I have a lot of space available since I just install Mac OS on it.(I have about 850+ gbs free space in that drive) What nvme ssd drive do you recommend for this Hackintosh build? Also, is it true that more ram I have the slower the boot time?
Have you tried the various options listed in my previous reply?

Have you tried the various options listed in my previous reply?
Yes I did, the boot time is still about the same after I turned on CSM support? What is CSM support and why is that originally turned off at your builder guide? Thanks again for the help!

Yes I did, the boot time is still about the same after I turned on CSM support? What is CSM support and why is that originally turned off at your builder guide? Thanks again for the help!
I have found in the past with Gigabyte Mobos they get in a weird state with very slow boot times. Re-flashing the firmware and starting with a fresh optimized setup, then tweaking as needed, has worked wonders for me in the past.

The Resources folder is definitely not empty! Simply go to the top of Post 1 and click the link for OpenCore 0.7.4 mini-guide. Download the smaller of the two zip files (the one on left). You’ll find a complete Resources folder.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ , the picker looks now the same as in 0.6.3. However, it still does not show disk labels except for Windows and macOS Installer. It shows EFI for each macOS drive instead of Catalina or CLONE OF CATALINA, so can't see what I'm exactly booting off.

Changed boot priorities, but the issue still exists. I tried to change it to the same USB drive as well as to the drive with Catalina, but it did not work.

Also what is the minimal BIOS version I should be on for 0.7.4?

I have found in the past with Gigabyte Mobos they get in a weird state with very slow boot times. Re-flashing the firmware and starting with a fresh optimized setup, then tweaking as needed, has worked wonders for me in the past.
@mntbighker I guess I will have to perform a CMOS reset like @CaseySJ mentioned previously. Currently, I have the latest bios firmware on my motherboard. Are you asking me to flash the same bios again?

@mntbighker I guess I will have to perform a CMOS reset like @CaseySJ mentioned previously. Currently, I have the latest bios firmware on my motherboard. Are you asking me to flash the same bios again?

As far as I know you want to be running F5, and not the latest. And either way YES, if you already have F5 just re-flash the same version. This has worked magic for me in the past. Not sure why.

I am running on the f20d version bios firmware. I installed it because I can use the resizable bar support on my windows boot. I thought it was fine since I barely used the thunderbolt on my motherboard.

Ouch, that is definitely not normal. Boot time for me (from NVMe SSD) is less than 30 seconds after selecting boot disk in OpenCore Picker.

Suggestions:
  • BIOS Setup --> CSM Support --> Enable
  • At OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-Vto enable Verbose mode. If there's a large pause during startup, make a note of last couple of the log messages during the pause.
    • Of course, if the screen goes blank for 30 seconds, there's nothing to note down for that particular pause.
  • If you're using HDMI, try switching to DP.
  • If you're using DP, try switching to HDMI.
  • Connect only 1 monitor (if you have more than one).
  • Perform CMOS Reset, then configure all BIOS parameters again starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
Boot time might also be affected by the disk in use. Samsung controllers for some reason have trouble finishing up the trim command at boot time and can take forever... I moved from Sasmsung to Western Digital, and my boot time went from over a minute on the Monterey beta to less than 8 seconds...

Back