Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Side note: I thought it was strange that Amazon (not third party seller) was selling this board for US$230 brand new! When the original was more like $280.
alder lake is coming and so is z690. Also, x570 and b550 are extremely popular. So Z490 is on discount as it’s on the way out.

z590 has been discounted too. I saw the z590 MSI Ace for 420 the other day, when it was new (a mere 6-7 months ago) it was over $500.00 on Amazon. Now it is about to be obsolete as it can’t run alder lake. Or any future lake. Only 6 months on the market, and is already obsolete.

@CaseySJ, I have 2 1 problems,

1. I can't get the working 11.6 config on 0.7.2 I have to work when updating to 0.7.4...
  2. And I can't get catalina to work with 19,1!!!

I have managed to make a bootable usb of 11.6 and used your Z490 Vision D Openwireless hackindrom config but with opencore 0.7.2 and got it to boot and install. It will not boot if I attempt to update to your v0.7.4 config. It starts the bootloader and immediatly crashes, reboots and goes to recovery mode. :confused:

solved the update to 0.7.4, went through all the motions again and this time it worked... I’d love to share what was missed before but I have no idea!

I wanted to stick with 10.15.7 but I cannot get the machine to boot 10.15.7 using any of the configs and 19,1.
Even if I removed all drives and use a freshly formatted ssd and the catalina installer. It starts the bootloader and immediatly crashes, reboots and goes to recovery mode. ;)

I have gotten the usb installer with catalina to boot and install with 20,2 but I think I'm experiencing IGPU problems as firefox won't launch. vlc won't play anything, some pages refused to load in safari...

*** I have just done a new clean Install with iMac 20,2 with new user of Catalina, performed all updates, and Firefox still won’t launch. VLC won’t play videos, graphic converter app crashes when I try to change the prefs for slideshow transition settings. Also noticed macOS screensaver previews for all the photo screensavers do not give me an option to preview them. ***

im going to mess around and try to get it to boot 10.15 with imac19,1.

any ideas? o_O
In config.plist "Device Properties" section please add device-id=0x3E98 as explained here:

Just add these lines:
XML:
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>mD4AAA==</data>

@CaseySJ, everyone,
Alas....That M1 Max.We have taken the plunge.
What pray tell, is the fate of our beloved Vision D/10900Ks??????

I am concerned.

Tony.
I have also taken the plunge on M1 Max with a 14" model.

But my Z490 Vision D and other Hackintoshes shall continue to be used quite extensively for at least the near term.
  • My main system is still the original late 2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare that replaced a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1.
  • This system might eventually be replaced with an Apple Silicon desktop computer, but probably not for about 18 to 24 months.
  • With Alder Lake due to be released in 2 weeks, it will be very tempting to experiment with it. The enthusiast in me will probably not be able to resist. (This doesn't mean I will, it just means I'll think about it!)
  • The Apple Silicon desktop computer may come in three forms:
    • Mac mini
      • This could be exceedingly tempting in both (a) technology and (b) price despite the lack of internal expansion slots
      • But this will use similar SoC as the new laptops, i.e. memory and SSD are fixed at time of purchase
    • Small form factor Mac Pro
      • This could be another worthy contender to replace my Z390 Designare
      • This could have expandable memory (DIMM slots) and possibly NVMe slots (current Mac Pro also has NVMe slots)
      • But after spending $$$$ on the 14" M1 Max, my wallet will need an 18-24 month reprieve
    • Full size Mac Pro
      • Could be prohibitively expensive, but no one outside of Apple knows at this time
      • I am already ruling this out for me

Last edited:
In config.plist "Device Properties" section please add device-id=0x3E98 as explained here:

Just add these lines:
XML:
                <key>device-id</key>
                <data>mD4AAA==</data>

:thumbup: @CaseySJ, you've done it again! :clap:

Before I claim this as a victory, I'm going to grab another ssd and go through this whole process once more from scratch with what I believe is my working EFI from Hackindrom using Z490 Vision D OpenIntelWifi for my 10.15.7 install USB but with iMac20,2 system def, new sn generated (also added -wegnoepu as I have an unsupported RTX3080Ti FTW3 in slot 1) and the added lines listed above. Then I'll go down the list for all the other fun stuff, ethernet wifi bluetooth, icloud etc....

Firefox, vlc, screen savers, graphic converter transitions and safari all work now. Intel power gadget shows IGPU graphics activity while scrolling through images in a browser with graphic converter. :clap:
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 2.19.43 PM.png

@CaseySJ Hi, I was checking my config.plist (because it will not upgrade to Monterey RC2 - Upgrade not found) with ocvalidate and I found this error:

Original path: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0, 0x0)
Path after internal conversion: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
DeviceProperties->Add[0]->DevicePath is borked! Please check the information above!
CheckDeviceProperties returns 1 error!

How do I fix it.
I'm attaching my config.plist

Opencore is 0.7.4

Attachments

• config.plist
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
@CaseySJ Hi, I was checking my config.plist (because it will not upgrade to Monterey RC2 - Upgrade not found) with ocvalidate and I found this error:

Original path: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0, 0x0)
Path after internal conversion: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
DeviceProperties->Add[0]->DevicePath is borked! Please check the information above!
CheckDeviceProperties returns 1 error!

How do I fix it.
I'm attaching my config.plist

Opencore is 0.7.4
Please try attached config.plist, but copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo --> DataHub before use. The error detected by OCValidate is shown below and has been fixed in the attached file. I've also made a couple additional changes, including:
  • Modified boot-args (please check them)
  • Misc --> Security --> DMG Loading --> Signed

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.41.03 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    29.9 KB · Views: 31
Back