Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hey Casey,

Circling back to this one. Recently I notice my computer would get a kernel panic crash following wake up and 2-3 minutes of work. Any chance it may have something to do with the (improper) deactivation of AppleVTD? Or does it have another explanation?

As always, very much appreciated!

Here is the latest crash report:
We added CpuTscSync.kext starting with OpenCore 0.7.3 so the first thing would be to disable this kext. If the problem persists after that, then it's necessary to characterize the problem by describing (a) when it first started, (b) whether there's any pattern to it, (c) what troubleshooting steps have already been undertaken, (d) does it occur on a fresh install of macOS on a spare SSD, (e) etc.

** macOS Monterey will be released on Monday, October 25 **

OpenCore 0.7.4 is Necessary

I don't think there is a great answer to this question, but... If my build is not one listed on the hackindrom list of builds...

Updating the OS is going to involve an opencore update and drag and drop doesn't seem to be a working option with the opencore update as the config file from 0.6.5 will most definitely not play well with 0.7.4.

1. Is there? or What is? ...the easiest way to update the EFI folder to 0.7.4 on a hack that has been running OC 0.6.5 well on 10.14.x and then 10.15.x?
  2. Do I have to build a port map for all builds using 11.3 and up? Will the configs that use USBInjectAll.kext continue to work?
My findings all seem to point to the opencore config compare for the config files, plist editor pro, and opencore configurator, and alot of back and forth comparisons...

Last edited:
** macOS Monterey will be released on Monday, October 25 **

OpenCore 0.7.4 is Necessary
View attachment 531258
I like Monterey. Especially the airplay receiver feature. I turned my MacBook into an Apple TV essentially and was airplaying content to it when I went on vacation earlier this year. Hooked it up to a tv via hdmi and was playing content back from my iPhone.

I do have some ideas for how Apple could update macOS airplay however. They need allow airplay content to run in windowed mode (that can be resized) rather than taking up the whole screen. And even worse, with a dual screen setup, the current iteration displays content on one monitor in full screen mode, and the other monitor is black, and can’t be used for other tasks like web browsing and so forth. Unintuitive in my opinion.

I don't think there is a great answer to this question, but... If my build is not one listed on the hackindrom list of builds...

Updating the OS is going to involve an opencore update and drag and drop doesn't seem to be a working option with the opencore update as the config file from 0.6.5 will most definitely not play well with 0.7.4.

1. Is there? or What is? ...the easiest way to update the EFI folder to 0.7.4 on a hack that has been running OC 0.6.5 well on 10.14.x and then 10.15.x?
  2. Do I have to build a port map for all builds using 11.3 and up? Will the configs that use USBInjectAll.kext continue to work?
My findings all seem to point to the opencore config compare for the config files, plist editor pro, and opencore configurator, and alot of back and forth comparisons...
I have a general guide for that here:

Going from OC 0.6.5 to 0.7.4 also requires replacing the Resources folder (EFI/OC/Resources). Fortunately you can download the OC 0.7.4 EFI from this thread and copy its Resources folder.

Reactions: ffk
Hey @CaseySJ - saw you comment earlier that iStatMenus may trigger some issues due to fan control. Wondering if you have a recommendation for a good macOS hardware monitor that has no interference? I love watching what my build is up to.

Also, the Thunderbolt 3 SSDT that you made @leekh3 and I compile for our Vision G + GC-Titan Ridge cards works a dream. My UAD Apollo reconnects immediately after wake from sleep, and the annoying little 'Base System Device' icon has disappeared from my menu bar now.

Thank you again!

Hey @CaseySJ - saw you comment earlier that iStatMenus may trigger some issues due to fan control. Wondering if you have a recommendation for a good macOS hardware monitor that has no interference? I love watching what my build is up to.

Also, the Thunderbolt 3 SSDT that you made @leekh3 and I compile for our Vision G + GC-Titan Ridge cards works a dream. My UAD Apollo reconnects immediately after wake from sleep, and the annoying little 'Base System Device' icon has disappeared from my menu bar now.

Thank you again!
Hello @aaronphshort,

In most cases iStatMenus should be okay. Version 6.6 was released recently and I've been using it successfully with Big Sur, but haven't tried it with Monterey.

Two alternatives are:
  • iStatistica (standard and Pro versions) from Mac App Store
    • Standard version is one-time $5.99
  • HWMonitorSMC2 from GitHub (free)

Windows 11 doesn't require Secure Boot enabled. I think, the problem with booting Windows is related to Apple-VTD. You can try my SSDT-DMAR.aml or disable Apple-VTD, if my file doesn't work either.
Nailed it... I seem to have one issue with Windows refusing to load the driver for a USB sound device now. But it booted Win10, so rock and roll using your DSDT

Windows 11 doesn't require Secure Boot enabled. I think, the problem with booting Windows is related to Apple-VTD. You can try my SSDT-DMAR.aml or disable Apple-VTD, if my file doesn't work either.

I ran the Win11 PC Health Check app, and it says TPM 2.0 must be enabled to run Windows11. There seems to be a LOT of discussion about this requirement on the interwebs. And a few "hacks" to bypass.

edit: OK, I enabled TPM 2.0 and now it appears I will get the Win11 update when it rolls out to my system.

Last edited:
Shut down my hack and on power up, something very strange has happened. I now have native resolution in Opencore picker (which I was never able to get to work before) and now the system will only boot in safe mode.

I'm not sure what's happenned, but it feels like some sort of update that's laid dormant until this shutdown. The best thing to try I figure is updating to 0.7.4, or at least investigating this Secure Boot setting as I'm still on Catalina.

Problem is, I can't mount the EFI in safe mode. Not with HackindROM, or Opencore configurator, or terminal.

So, if I can't boot normally due to an config.plist misconfiguration or OpenCore is out of date, and can only boot in safe mode which doesn't allow the EFI partition to be mounted, how can I get out of this loop?

I just bought the Gigabyte z490 Vision D version 1.1 board
The board listed on the Buyers Guide and @CaseySJ guide here is the original version 1.0.
I'm worried the BIOS versions might be different. Casey said to only use BIOS F5, but that is for ver 1.0.

I don't have a lot of experience with different versions of boards, so I don't know if they differ
significantly, especially for Hackintosh. Do you guys think that version 1.1 board will work the same as Casey's board? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!!!

Back