Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

This morning I found that the system had woken itself from a sleep state but appeared to be frozen. No monitor output. I forced shutdown with the power button but the internal LED's stayed illuminated (I have addressable RGB strips attached to each of the DLED_1 and DLED_2 headers). This is not the first time this has happened following a freeze. Previously frozen states have been while using the system and a hard shutdown has turned off the internal LED's.

The most significant change between my previous post and this one is that I plugged all of my external USB peripherals back in. All but 1 USB Type-A jacks are occupied, and I have no Type-C jacks occupied. These are the devices that were plugged back in:
  • Logitech C615 webcam, Cable Matters USB card reader model 2020582, 2 Western Digital Passport 2 TB drives, 1 Elements 2 TB drive, 1 Elements 5 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Elements 8 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Seagate One Touch 5 TB drive
  • All drives are Journaled HFS+ except for one which is Case-Sensitive Journaled HFS+
So I have observed 2 patterns for freeze states:
  • Using the old config.plist and while using the system (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's off
  • Using the old and new config.plist the system self-wakes from sleep (all USB devices plugged in). Hard shutdown leaves the internal LED's on
Here are my Energy Saver saver settings.
View attachment 531046
The system will wake from sleep periodically (dark wake) to check for email, notifications, etc. But we can actually see when these dark wake events will occur by going to System Preferences --> Power:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.21.30 AM.png

Here we can see a list of Next Scheduled Events.

Some comments:
  • We recommend shutting the computer off each night. Is there a compelling reason for keeping it on continuously?
  • With so many drives connected, do you see any drive-eject warnings when the system sleeps and wakes? If so, the Jettison app by St. Clair Software might be worth evaluating (free 15-day eval).
  • Because USB ports are being extensively used, one should review this post. Even though it was originally written to address kernel panic/freeze problems with USB 2.0 devices, it might apply to your situation as well.

Oh no, I was afraid of that. The “system” volume on your SSD might be damaged. But before jumping to conclusions, is it possible for you to do the following?
  • Option 1: At OpenCore Picker, press “spacebar”. Do you see an option to boot into Big Sur Recovery? If so, select that option.
  • Option 2: If option 1 does not exist or does not work, remove the NVMe SSD and connect it to a working Mac or Hack if you have one. Then boot macOS and log in.
  • Option 3: If you don’t have another working macOS system, no worries. Just install macOS to a spare SATA SSD. I always keep a couple of 128GB or 256GB SATA SSDs for such purposes. After this temporary installation is done, boot the system from this disk and log in.
Now:
  • Launch “Terminal” and type:
  • diskutil list and post the output.
  • This will give us a good initial look into the state of all installed SSDs.
Casey, thanks again for your prompt response and your continued support.

I have a confession to make. I was trying to boot a Big Sur SSD from another Hackintosh and misread the label. It must have been a Senior Moment.

I am now booting my Z490 Vision D Big Sur SSD successfully.

Can I ask what the 'Update' folders are on the desktop when I boot Catalina off another SSD (see attachment)?

Also, is it possible to disable the NVMe's on the Z490 Vision D without physically removing them?

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    365 KB · Views: 40
I am now booting my Z490 Vision D Big Sur SSD successfully.
Okay, good to hear.

Can I ask what the 'Update' folders are on the desktop when I boot Catalina off another SSD (see attachment)?
Big Sur and Monterey have a newer, more advanced version of Apple's AFPS file system. Catalina, unfortunately, does not fully support the new AFPS and mounts those drives with the label Update.

Also, is it possible to disable the NVMe's on the Z490 Vision D without physically removing them?
** WARNING: Copy EFI folder to EFI partition of a USB flash disk and make all changes to the USB flash disk! Then boot from USB by pressing F12 at Gigabyte splash screen. **

It might be possible, as follows:
  • Run Hackintool and open the PCIe page.
  • Look for Non-Volatile memory controller as shown.
  • Referring to the Device Name column, pick the controller you want to disable.
  • Then copy its Device Path from the right-most column (right-click on it).
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.38.19 PM.png

Now create a Device Properties entry for this controller. An entry might already exist -- if so, skip to Step 3 shown in the screenshot below. Otherwise follow Steps 1, 2, and 3:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.43.11 PM.png

Finally, type these 3 device properties:
Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 4.46.18 PM.png

Save the config.plist and reboot. Log into macOS. Is the NVMe drive visible or disabled?

Last edited:
I don't know how others are handling this, but I boot Windows from the F12 menu with BIOS F5. Its fast (faster than OC's boot), and I have no issues booting Windows 11 (or Linux).

All I do is as soon as I hear the boot speaker (if you don't have one, you can use the splash screen display), I press F12, select the Windows disk and boot. Fast, easy and no problem.

If i want to boot into Monterey, I just let the boot process go, and it loads macOS automatically.

I have booted into Windows from the OC open canopy menu, and it has booted, but its slower, only because there's more waiting.

Just something to consider for those who are having issues. This might work for you.
Although the solution is good, the issue I had was that my BT keyboard was not active immediately after boot and even if I kept pressing F12 as soon as I heard the speaker, the keyboard would not become active until just OC picker is on the screen (and way after the "press f12 to boot" message was displayed). I did not want to have 2 keyboards on my desk; a BT one and a corded one hence booting windows from OC picker.

If you run macOS and mount the EFI partition created by Disk Genius, do you see any files or folders there?

Disk Genius by itself might not be able to create a Windows boot loader.

Some thoughts:
  • Are you open to the idea of erasing and reinstalling Windows on that SSD?
  • If you have important files/apps that are either (a) not backed up or (b) would be very inconvenient to reinstall/relicense, then a suggestion would be:
    • Install Windows on another SSD.
    • Start by using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 10 USB install disk.
    • Then boot macOS and use Disk Utility to format the new Windows SSD (not USB install disk) as:
      • Name: Anything
      • Format: FAT32
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map <-- very important
    • Shutdown the system, flip power switch to OFF
    • Physically remove all other SSDs (important):
      • Remove macOS SSDs
      • Remove old Windows SSD
    • Power up the system
    • Install Windows onto the new SSD
      • During Windows installation you will be asked to format the destination drive
      • Do not erase or change the EFI partition (100MB or 200MB) on the new SSD
      • But delete the FAT32 partition so that it changes to Unallocated Space
    • Boot the new Windows to make sure it's okay
    • Shutdown the system and flip power switch to OFF
    • Re-install the old Windows SSD. Now you will have:
      • Old Windows SSD
      • New Windows SSD
    • Power up the system and boot
    • Do you see two Windows boot options, or does the system boot automatically into the new SSD?
Because you now have a working Windows installation, it may be possible to copy the EFI folder from the new Windows SSD to the EFI partition of the old Windows SSD, then shutdown the system fully (i.e. flip power switch on PSU to OFF) and remove the new Windows SSD.
Thanks Casey for giving the direction.
I don't have another SSD now. I can format the WINDOWS disk and erase completely, can you guide me to fix it?

Let me explain my situation, I prefer do not touch the M2s, because I can't in any situation stop macOS system. I have two m2, in case of something happens, I have some projects I can't miss the due date. I was really difficult to understand how my two m2s started working on this motherboard. I had several weeks trying everything I could find, until it started working.

Can you point me how to fix the EFI of windows, or how to install windows without removing the M2s?
What happens if I disable the M2s from bios and try to install?
or if there are any way to fix the EFI by booting to linux of even booting on windows USB and using diskpart.

Thank you!

Last edited:
The system will wake from sleep periodically (dark wake) to check for email, notifications, etc. But we can actually see when these dark wake events will occur by going to System Preferences --> Power:
Here we can see a list of Next Scheduled Events.

Some comments:
  • We recommend shutting the computer off each night. Is there a compelling reason for keeping it on continuously?
  • With so many drives connected, do you see any drive-eject warnings when the system sleeps and wakes? If so, the Jettison app by St. Clair Software might be worth evaluating (free 15-day eval).
  • Because USB ports are being extensively used, one should review this post. Even though it was originally written to address kernel panic/freeze problems with USB 2.0 devices, it might apply to your situation as well.

There were no scheduled events in the power section.
  • I typically shut down the computer each night but on some occasions, I simply forget at the end of the evening while it's already in sleep.
  • I do not see any drive-eject warnings with sleep/wake
  • From the post regarding panic and freeze problems, I gather that a powered hub would be more ideal than using most of the USB ports
One other thing to note: every time I boot into Open Core, and for as long as I can recall, right before the boot selector screen appears, the following flashes on the screen:
  • OC: Failed to drop ACPI 52414D44 0000000000000000 0 {0} - Not Found
Regardless, something happened yesterday that's left me scratching my head.

While positioning an image file within a project in Affinity Designer (similar to Adobe Illustrator), the system froze. After a hard shut down and restart, the system failed to boot into Big Sur. I'm attaching an image of the verbose output. I tried several more times to boot using both the main system EFI and the EFI from the original system setup USB drive with no luck. The same result each time, a neverending loop of failed signature validations. I've concluded that somehow the installation had become corrupt. But I'm not sure if that's true or not.

I booted into the recovery and ran disk repair but no issues were found.
I booted into the backup but it appeared that I was setting up Big Sur for the first time which left me very confused. Later I realized that somewhere along the way while updating Big Sur, I had inadvertently chosen the backup drive.

My conclusion after all of this is to start from scratch and do a fresh install.

Attachments

• IMG_9941.jpg
    IMG_9941.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 45
One other thing to note: every time I boot into Open Core, and for as long as I can recall, right before the boot selector screen appears, the following flashes on the screen:
  • OC: Failed to drop ACPI 52414D44 0000000000000000 0 {0} - Not Found
This is referring to the DMAR table (Direct Memory Access Remap). Let's see if we can remedy this. Please post:
  • Screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Add
  • Screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Delete
While positioning an image file within a project in Affinity Designer (similar to Adobe Illustrator), the system froze. After a hard shut down and restart, the system failed to boot into Big Sur. I'm attaching an image of the verbose output. I tried several more times to boot using both the main system EFI and the EFI from the original system setup USB drive with no luck. The same result each time, a neverending loop of failed signature validations. I've concluded that somehow the installation had become corrupt. But I'm not sure if that's true or not.
This might be due to iStatMenus. Are you using its Fan control options? First thing would be to uninstall iStatMenus and see if the system remains stable.

Thanks Casey for giving the direction.
I don't have another SSD now. I can format the WINDOWS disk and erase completely, can you guide me to fix it?

Let me explain my situation, I prefer do not touch the M2s, because I can't in any situation stop macOS system. I have two m2, in case of something happens, I have some projects I can't miss the due date. I was really difficult to understand how my two m2s started working on this motherboard. I had several weeks trying everything I could find, until it started working.

Can you point me how to fix the EFI of windows, or how to install windows without removing the M2s?
What happens if I disable the M2s from bios and try to install?
or if there are any way to fix the EFI by booting to linux of even booting on windows USB and using diskpart.

Thank you!
Some comments:
  • It's not possible to disable NVMe ports from BIOS.
  • Windows installer will not work if any macOS drives are connected.
  • Regarding ways of fixing Windows bootloader without having Windows running: My knowledge of Windows is limited, so it's best to (a) search the web or (b) post the question in a Windows forum.
If you are unable to physically remove macOS SSDs, then it may be best to install Windows on a new or different system. Windows PCs are very cheap. I just purchased a MinisForum HX90 that has an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX (8 cores, 16 threads).

This is referring to the DMAR table (Direct Memory Access Remap). Let's see if we can remedy this. Please post:
  • Screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Add
  • Screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI --> Delete

This might be due to iStatMenus. Are you using its Fan control options? First thing would be to uninstall iStatMenus and see if the system remains stable.
Screenshots attached.

I was not using iStatMenus fan control options. Since I'm not able to boot into Big Sur to uninstall iStatMenus I will have to observe the behavior at some point after installing it when I complete the fresh install.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.35.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.35.48 AM.png
    165 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.35.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 10.35.43 AM.png
    243.5 KB · Views: 43
Screenshots attached.

I was not using iStatMenus fan control options. Since I'm not able to boot into Big Sur to uninstall iStatMenus I will have to observe the behavior at some point after installing it when I complete the fresh install.
Which version of BIOS are you using on the Vision G?

Back