Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Hi, I solved the problem with the PCIe SATA card not being bootable by enabling CSM which I had disabled. Posting in case someone else has the same probelm.
Good to know!

One problem I have been having, beside everything working well is with an app called EpocCam which allows you to use the iPhone as a camera.

It worked very well in my previous build (z390F) but since I have upgraded over the weekend to z490 v.D it show just a gray screen. It seems to be active (it responds to change in the orientation) but no video.
Is the iPhone connected via Lightning-to-USB cable? Because iPhones are USB 2.0 devices, we should connect the cable to a port where USB 2 is enabled. We have a diagram in Post 1 that shows all of the available (active) ports. A port whose name starts with HS (e.g. HS01) is a USB 2 port. On some physical USB ports we have intentionally disabled USB 2 depending on which USB SSDT is enabled in OpenCore config.plist. One of the SSDTs violates the 15 port limit and enables USB 2 on all ports (“XhciPortLimit” kernel quirk needs to be enabled with this one).

I wonder if it could be a USB problem, I tried to change ports but to no avail. There are a few other USB glitches, e.g. the internal Front Panel USB 3.1 type C (SS01, SS02, HS01) does not seem to work. I have connected it to a hub which fits the CD/DVD drive slot and it does not work. I know the hub works because if I connect it to the Front Panel USB 3 connector (SS05/06) it works.
Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator’s “ACPI” and “Kernel” pages.

Could it be the USBInjectAll.kext, can I get rid of it? I do not need all the USB ports, what would I use for SSDT-USBW.aml?
The problem is not with USBInjectAll. Instead, let’s first examine your current ACPI and Kernel settings, and go from there.

Good morning, I need a little help for my graphic card.
MB Z490 vision D
CoreI7 10700K
Ram 64GB Gskil Ripjaw PC4-25600
Saphire RX 5700 nitro+ 8GB
Monitor Benq PD3200U
Catalina at the beginning and Big Sur 11.6 now

Starting from some month ago I noticed using photoshop that graphic performances worsen a lot. At the beginning I thought that the problem was photoshop because I benchmarked my RX5700 using engine heaven engine and all seems running fine
it depends on the new version of photoshop was my idea.
Yesterday I used again VMware fusion to test some application in a virtual machine and surprise...
Also fusion graphics performed very very bad
Fusion is updated (12.1.2) vmware tools too and side channel mitigation disabled to gain max performances; here
Link to the screen recording
you can see a screen recording of graphic performances inside VMware; the running virtual macine is osx high Sierra

Does anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestion to regain full performances from my RX5700?
Thanks!
I wonder if Photoshop is prioritizing the iGPU over the AMD GPU. This is possible if the iGPU’s model name comes alphabetically before the AMD GPU’s model name. Please post a screenshot of the following:
  • System Information —> PCI
  • System Information —> Graphics/Displays

I wonder if Photoshop is prioritizing the iGPU over the AMD GPU. This is possible if the iGPU’s model name comes alphabetically before the AMD GPU’s model name. Please post a screenshot of the following:
How a company like Adobe checks GPU list and select first alphabetically ... :eek:

To be sure about graphic card my system use I tried also to disable IGPU but nothing changed.
System Information ->Graphics/display is the one attached in my first post;
photoshop state in performances tab of preferences that is using my RX 5700 as GPU and surprise... checking as you suggested to me
  • System Information —> PCI...

I can't see listed th RX5700...

Attachments

• monitor.jpg
    monitor.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 54
  • photoshop.jpg
    photoshop.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 55
  • pci.jpg
    pci.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
Good to know!

Is the iPhone connected via Lightning-to-USB cable? Because iPhones are USB 2.0 devices, we should connect the cable to a port where USB 2 is enabled. We have a diagram in Post 1 that shows all of the available (active) ports. A port whose name starts with HS (e.g. HS01) is a USB 2 port. On some physical USB ports we have intentionally disabled USB 2 depending on which USB SSDT is enabled in OpenCore config.plist. One of the SSDTs violates the 15 port limit and enables USB 2 on all ports (“XhciPortLimit” kernel quirk needs to be enabled with this one).

Please post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator’s “ACPI” and “Kernel” pages.

The problem is not with USBInjectAll. Instead, let’s first examine your current ACPI and Kernel settings, and go from there.

Thanks here are the screenshots

Also I'm connecting it to a USB2 port. I can see the iPhone in the Finder

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.09.08.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.09.08.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.09.56.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.09.56.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Internal drives:
  • 1 TB Sabrent Rocket (Revision: RKT343.4) NVMe in slot 1
  • 256 Samsung 850 EVO MZ-N5E250BW M.2 in Slot 2 (Temporarily removed for testing)
  • 256 GB Kingston Q500 SQ500S37/240G SATA
  • 128 GB Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW SATA
External Drives:
  • 2 Western Digital Passport 2 TB drives, 1 Elements 2 TB drive, 1 Elements 5 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Elements 8 TB drive (externally powered), 1 Seagate One Touch 5 TB drive
I've installed Kubuntu on a USB drive and spent some time inside the OS. No issues booting, no issues with basic navigation. I did however have Firefox crash while using it. Was able to close and open again. However, while inspecting the crash report, the entire system froze. I was able to capture the report but I'm not sure if there is anything useful in it. Attaching for reference.

You might have a RAM issue. I had a similar problem of random freezes. After weeks of debugging, the stability problem turned out to be a faulty memory stick.

Corsair honored their warranty and I got a replacement kit within a week. And no more stability problems.

Perhaps, if possible, try using a different memory kit (or if no other memory, try temporarily disabling XMP if it is on) and see if the stability problems remain or disappear.
@deocder,

It would be good to run memtest as well. There's an "original" free version.

To be sure about graphic card my system use I tried also to disable IGPU but nothing changed.
photoshop state in performances tab of preferences that is using my RX 5700 as GPU and surprise... checking as you suggested to me

Please run GeekBench 5 as shown and post the result:
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 10.37.21 AM.png

Alas this has also been addressed numerous times in this thread. Simply visit the OpenCore 0.7.3 mini-guide and there’s a link to a post that states how AppleVTD can be disabled. Simply disable it and you should be okay to boot Windows through OpenCore.

Thanks for posting this - I was about to post having the same problem, and this was one of my
First unread posts in the thread!

Can this requirement for Windows dual-boot from OpenCore be made more explicit in future mini-guides? For as much as I read this thread to try and stay current, I completely missed the “might impact other operating systems” comment in the 0.7.3 guide. Also, my 0.7.4 install doesn’t have an ACPI > Delete > DMAR entry to Disable so disabling AppleVTD seems like it might change from OC version to version…

Thanks again to all!

Just in case it will be useful. In my ACPI section I have SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml enabled.
I have the same 5700XT and GeekBench5 gives me 71275 OpenCL Score.
iMac20,2 iGPU in headless mode.
Hardware acceleration is fully supported.
Rendering in DavinciResolve is pretty fast.

Attachments

• SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml.zip
    426 bytes · Views: 40
Quick question for Z490 Vision D board...I'm still running BIOS F5 because it works great and there have been a lot of comments about challenges with later versions. However, despite enabling the Trusted Platform Module in the BIOS, I still don't have full Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capability to enable an installation of Windows 11 on a new disk. Looking in the BIOS again, it's enabled but there's a message about "No Security Device Present" which I'm guessing means that it's not finding the secure hardware on the processor.

Looking at older messages in this thread related to this topic, it appears I need a more-recent BIOS version that fully implements the Platform Trust Technology (PTT) to fix this. What is the consensus around BIOS F20 for the Z490 Vision D board? Is it a safe upgrade now? I don't have flashed Thunderbolt or whatnot because I don't have any Thunderbolt peripherals.

Thanks in advance...

Back