Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Please compress and post the entire OC 0.7.4 EFI folder, but with serial numbers removed from PlatformInfo section of config.plist.
Done exactly that and attached for you. Thanks so much for checking this out @CaseySJ

Attachments

• 0.7.4 VISION G EFI.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 29
I'm having a little bit of trouble separating my Home folder from my macOS SSD as suggested in the guide.

What I've accomplished:
  • Created separate APFS Volume
  • Copied original "Home" folder contents to the new volume
  • Pointed macOS to my newly created volume containing the Home folder - All works fine.
  • Deleted original "Home" folder from the main OS SSD
Now here is where my problem arises: Even after emptying the Trash, macOS refuses to acknowledge the now "free" space. So even though my User folder is completely gone from the SSD, and now lives on a separate volume, macOS still won't backup my macOS volume to my external SSD as the backup drive (240GB) is too small.

Any ideas? I've tried Googling but to no avail.

Done exactly that and attached for you. Thanks so much for checking this out @CaseySJ
Some comments:
  • Whenever SSDT-DMAR is enabled, the standard DMAR table must be dropped because SSDT-DMAR provides a replacement DMAR table. In other words, both of the following checkboxes must be enabled or both must be disabled.
    • In your config.plist there's a mismatch that I have corrected in the attached config.plist
  • I've also enabled AdviseFeatures in PlatformInfo --> DataHub because HackinDROM does not do that for us.
You can either make these changes to your config.plist or copy PlatformInfo credentials into the attached config.plist before use.
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 12.48.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 12.48.06 PM.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    34 KB · Views: 43
@CaseySJ Amazing! That's really weird cos I swear I disabled SSDT-DMAR.aml. Not sure now whether to now disable both or have another attempt at both being enabled and risking going back to ACPI Fault . Again thanks for looking at this.

Hello @CaseySJ

I have a question. There is no available gigabyte vision D in US market now, unfortunately. I got a vision G Z490 and bought GC titan bridge separately.

It Looks like your “Modifications for Z490 Vision G” assumes that tb3 is not used.
However, I have GC titan bridge. In this case, what should I do to use GC titan bridge? Can I just skip “Modifications for Z490 Vision G”? Thank you for your time :)
It's relatively straightforward to add Thunderbolt hot plug support. Your GC-Titan Ridge will work without any changes, except for hot plug. So we need to do this:
  • Install GC-Titan Ridge into a long slot.
  • Connect Thunderbolt header cable to motherboard.
  • In BIOS, set the following:
    • Thunderbolt Support --> Enabled
    • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
    • GPIO3 Force Pwr --> Enabled
  • Download and run IORegistryExplorer and search for Thunderbolt
  • Capture and post a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the search results
    • Press CMD-Shift-5 to capture screenshot; it will be saved to desktop
  • Then we can provide or point you to the appropriate Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT

I might get in on this Thunderbolt action too. I am also part of this crew of Vision G + GC Titan Ridge users like @leekh3 arriving here now that Vision D is off the market.

Here is my screenshot:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.05.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.05.07 PM.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 71
I'm having a little bit of trouble separating my Home folder from my macOS SSD as suggested in the guide.

What I've accomplished:
  • Created separate APFS Volume
  • Copied original "Home" folder contents to the new volume
  • Pointed macOS to my newly created volume containing the Home folder - All works fine.
  • Deleted original "Home" folder from the main OS SSD
Now here is where my problem arises: Even after emptying the Trash, macOS refuses to acknowledge the now "free" space. So even though my User folder is completely gone from the SSD, and now lives on a separate volume, macOS still won't backup my macOS volume to my external SSD as the backup drive (240GB) is too small.

Any ideas? I've tried Googling but to no avail.
Ok turns out it was CCC Snapshots taking up the space! I’ve deleted them and now my main OS SSD is down to a tidy ~80GB.

I’ve cloned the macOS drive to my external SSD and copied my EFI folder over using EFIClone.sh - but booting from the EFI on the external backup and choosing the backup drive I get the attached error during startup. If I use my original EFI, the backup boots fine. Very strange!

97326C76-76D0-4040-955D-F003163DDDA9.jpeg

Hello @CaseySJ

I have a question. There is no available gigabyte vision D in US market now, unfortunately. I got a vision G Z490 and bought GC titan bridge separately.

It Looks like your “Modifications for Z490 Vision G” assumes that tb3 is not used.
However, I have GC titan bridge. In this case, what should I do to use GC titan bridge? Can I just skip “Modifications for Z490 Vision G”? Thank you for your time :)

I might get in on this Thunderbolt action too. I am also part of this crew of Vision G + GC Titan Ridge users like @leekh3 arriving here now that Vision D is off the market.

Here is my screenshot:
Please follow this procedure:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.09.05 PM.png

• Step 3: Select your controller
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.09.15 PM.png

• Step 4: Click Search
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.09.20 PM.png

• Step 5: Search for RP21 and replace with RP05 as shown
  • Step 6: Click All to replace all occurrences
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.09.47 PM.png

• Step 7: Confirm the changes and click Compile
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.09.56 PM.png

• Step 8: When compiling is done, a green Download button will appear. Click it and the Thunderbolt hot plug SSDT will download to your Downloads folder.
    • File name will be SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    • Copy this file to the EFI/OC/ACPI folder in the EFI partition of your macOS SSD.
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.10.08 PM.png

Finally, open your config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and make sure it is set to the right version. Look at the OpenCore version string in the title bar of the App.

Then add a reference to the new SSDT as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.21.52 PM.png

Save the modified config.plist and reboot. Then test whether Thunderbolt devices can hot plug.

Do NOT go to System Information --> Thunderbolt. Ignore whatever it says. Just check if Thunderbolt devices hot plug and work.

Ok turns out it was CCC Snapshots taking up the space! I’ve deleted them and now my main OS SSD is down to a tidy ~80GB.

I’ve cloned the macOS drive to my external SSD and copied my EFI folder over using EFIClone.sh - but booting from the EFI on the external backup and choosing the backup drive I get the attached error during startup. If I use my original EFI, the backup boots fine. Very strange!

View attachment 530302
Hmm, on the backup disk try changing SecureBootModel to Disabled and see if it will boot.
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 1.38.56 PM.png

I know it may be a very exotic question, but when everything works so fine (thanks again to @CaseySJ) you need it to be perfect :)

Does anybody's Apple TV+ App play HDR content on Big Sur? Mine doesn't. Is there any place/config to look at?

I have an HDR10 DisplayPort 1.4 display, it's totally recognized by macOS 11.6, YouTube plays HDR, IINA plays HDR, it's supported everywhere systemwide. Except Apple TV+ App. It does display the 4K picture, but no HDR.

Back