Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Two requests:
  1. Screenshot of the same section of IORegistryExplorer as last time.
  2. Run this command in Terminal log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog-1.txt, which will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog-1.txt. Post that file.

The Version 2 SSDT is actually doing exactly that...or trying to.

Also try V3 attached below, which is an optimization of the previous V2.
Here are the 2 requested files.
I let you know about the V3 SSDT in a moment.
Thanks a lot!

Update:
The V3 SSDT doesn't make any difference. Still those pci-bridge@1/pci-bridge@0

Attachments

• bootlog-1.txt
    252.2 KB · Views: 32
  • PCareMac.ioreg
    4.7 MB · Views: 46
Here are the 2 requested files.
I let you know about the V3 SSDT in a moment.
Thanks a lot!

Update:
The V3 SSDT doesn't make any difference. Still those pci-bridge@1/pci-bridge@0
Please try V4. If it fails I'd like to look at the System DSDT from MaciASL.

Attachments

• SSDT-RX-5500-XT-V4.aml
    1.2 KB · Views: 26
** Some Tidbits on Next Generation **

With Z490 inventories drying up and Z590 not being a compelling upgrade, we can look ahead to November (around the 19th) when Intel is expected to release their 12th Generation desktop processors, Alder Lake, and the top-end chipset, Z690. And before saying another word, it must be mentioned that there's no guarantee either of these will work with macOS. But they are the next generation and worth examining.

A leaked image of the Z690 chipset reveals some especially interesting features:
  • PCIe 5.0 (16 lanes from CPU)
  • DDR5 memory support
  • x8 link between CPU and chipset versus x4 today, but some questions remain on the exact meaning of x8 DMI 4.0
  • 5Gbps Ethernet tied to chipset (optional feature for motherboard vendors to choose)
  • WiFi 7 also known as 802.11be. Some of the benefits (source):
    • Will this be available at launch using a Draft Spec? Most likely not. Z690 will start with WiFi 6E.
    • Multi-band/multi-channel aggregation and operation to deliver higher spectrum and power efficiency
    • Better interference mitigations
    • Higher capacity density
    • Higher cost efficiency
    • Support up to 30Gbps throughput, roughly three times faster than Wi-Fi 6
    • Support of 320 MHz transmissions, which is double the 160 MHz of 802.11ax
    • Release date of WiFi 7 spec is 2024

View attachment 529863

Alder Lake CPUs:
  • Hybrid design with High Performance cores (P-Cores) and High Efficiency cores (E-Cores)
  • High performances P-Cores: Golden Cove architecture that is an update to:
    • Sunny Cove (Ice Lake processors)
    • Willow Cove (Tiger Lake processors)
    • Cypress Cove (Rocket Lake processors)
  • High efficiency E-Cores: Gracemont architecture based on Intel Atom
  • Configurations:
    • Alder Lake-S: Desktop PCs
    • Alder Lake-P: High-performance notebooks
    • Alder Lake-M: Low-power devices
  • Alder Lake-S Desktop Processor Configurations:
Model P-Cores E-Cores Physical Cores Total Threads
i9-12900K 8 8 16 24 (P-Cores x 2 + E-Cores)
i7-12700K 8 4 12 20 (P-Cores x 2 + E-Cores)
i5-12600K 6 4 10 16 (P-Cores x 2 + E-Cores)
Will be interesting to see if or how alder lake is compatible with macOS, and how the macOS kernel will schedule threads on the hybrid architecture (P and E cores).

Assuming that macOS will indeed boot on z690/Alder Lake, I’m curious if there will be latency problems or will the experience be seamless ? Given that Alder Lake is an x86 processor with the same instruction set as its predecessors (sans AVX512), I’d expect macOS to work, but only time will tell. I suppose if there are major problems with the E cores, we could always turn them off in the bios.

I think x8 dmi4.0 means a link between the cpu and chipset operating at x8 pcie4.0 speeds. But only time will tell.

Z690 seems like it will support a ton of I/o with a combination of pcie4.0 lanes and pcie3.0 lanes. Seems like there will be more than enough bandwidth for 2-3 pcie4.0 nvme drives, all sata ports on (sometimes sata ports are disabled depending on whether certain pcie slots or nvme slots are utilized), a ton of USB ports, and on certain boards, enough bandwidth leftover to externalize the pcie bus via thunderbolt4.

Seems that alder lake will on overage bring a 20% IPC uplift above Rocket Lake / Tiger Lake, and even higher gains in multithreaded performance. I’m curious to know the performance of the E cores. All in all seems like a solid upgrade, probably Intel’s biggest in years, and this product might indeed be the start of Intel coming back. Too bad Intel lost Apple and our x86 macOS days might be limited in number. But if rumors are true then we have even more wild upgrades to look forward to in the coming years: Raptor Lake next year, Meteor Lake, then some future Lake like Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake.

However there are downsides: infrastructure upgrades. The new LGA1700 socket means alder lake is now rectangular in shape and no longer square. Thus our existing coolers at minimum will need a new retention bracket. I hope we also don’t need new coolers for optimum cooling given the difference in Alder Lake’s Z-height (compared to predecessor processors). If we opt for a ddr5 motherboard then we also have to get new memory, although some boards will come with ddr4.

Last edited:
Well done! It worked!
Thanks so much.
I'm gonna look into it so to try and understand how you did it!!

Monterey Public Beta 8: No issues with OC 0.7.4 pre-release build.
Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 11.51.41 AM.png

However there are downsides: infrastructure upgrades. The new LGA1700 socket means alder lake is now rectangular in shape and no longer square. Thus our existing coolers at minimum will need a new retention bracket. I hope we also don’t need new coolers for optimum cooling given the difference in Alder Lake’s Z-height (compared to predecessor processors). If we opt for a ddr5 motherboard then we also have to get new memory, although some boards will come with ddr4.
And possibly a new motherboard power connector compared to existing 24-pin connector?

And possibly a new motherboard power connector compared to existing 24-pin connector?
Possibly add that to the list too. I had heard that the 24 pin atx connector will remain at least for z690. The psu suppliers and motherboard vendors protested Intel’s proposed change to ATX12VO. But until the z690 announcement, we don’t know if we need new PSU too.

** Some Tidbits on Next Generation **

• WiFi 7 also known as 802.11be. Some of the benefits (source):
    • Will this be available at launch using a Draft Spec? Most likely not. Z690 will start with WiFi 6E.
    • Multi-band/multi-channel aggregation and operation to deliver higher spectrum and power efficiency
    • Better interference mitigations
    • Higher capacity density
    • Higher cost efficiency
    • Support up to 30Gbps throughput, roughly three times faster than Wi-Fi 6
    • Support of 320 MHz transmissions, which is double the 160 MHz of 802.11ax
    • Release date of WiFi 7 spec is 2024
wifi 7 seems like it will be a big upgrade I’ve been following progress for a few months and one of the exciting features they’re considering is using all 3 bands simultaneously for data transmissions: 2.4, 5.0, and 6.0 GHz. That would add both speed and noise resilience.

Another cool thing is the use of the 6 ghz band, so we can use 160 MHz channels with up to 320 MHz Channels (when wifi 7 drops) and no need to worry about RADAR. Currently in the 5 GHz band, there are few channels that are DFS channels, because wifi shares radio spectrum with incumbent radar transmission in the 5ghz band. This includes weather radar on channels 120-128. Per FCC rules in the USA, whenever a wifi station operating on a dfs frequency detects radar, it must vacate the channel immediately and hop to a different frequency, which means The network will disconnect for some period of time. That could very disruptive to a zoom call or gaming session. It’s not currently possible to operate a 160mhz channel in the 5 ghz band without at least part of the channel operating on a dfs frequency. I use channel 100 which is a DFS channel, but no one else uses it, I’m all alone in my dense urban building. So no interference from my neighbors and I get maximum speeds, according to iperf.

so if you’re on a dfs channel, you could be interrupted at any time. Not very reliable! But with 6 ghz, there is no such restriction, clean 160 mhz with 320 mhz coming with wifi7, and no radar interruptions! But one challenge with 6 ghz is that the amplitude of radio wave propagation is inversely proportional to frequency. So lower frequency waves can travel further for a given transmitter power relative to a higher frequency wave. So while 6 ghz is free of dfs restrictions, 6 ghz will be more susceptible to obstructions, meaning slightly lower received power at the receiver relative to 5 ghz. So to cover a large house with 6ghz might require more access point nodes in a mesh network. 6 ghz routers currently on the market are way too expensive to justify their cost so I haven’t tested it yet.

All that being said, these days I tend to use a hard line for my main pc, I’ve setup an adhoc 10 gpbs network for maximum speeds for lan transfers, as well as max out my fios 1 gbps connection. AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext is my friend.

Last edited:
...So while 6 ghz is free of dfs restrictions, 6 ghz will be more susceptible to obstructions, meaning slightly lower received power at the receiver relative to 5 ghz. So to cover a large house with 6ghz might require more access point nodes in a mesh network. 6 ghz routers currently on the market are way too expensive to justify their cost so I haven’t tested it yet.
Having recently upgraded to the Linksys Atlas Max 6E mesh router, I agree that cost is high. I've installed only 2 of the 3 nodes, and they are in exactly the same spots as the Netgear Orbi (WiFi 5) units they replaced. Transmission speeds have increased even to my Fenvi WiFi cards (WiFi 5).

Cost is high, but performance is also high!

Last edited:
Having recently upgraded to the Linksys Atlas Max 6E mesh router, I agree that cost is high. I've installed only 2 of the 3 nodes, and they are in exactly the same spots as the Netgear Orbi (WiFi 5) models they replaced. Transmission speeds have increased even to my Fenvi WiFi cards (WiFi 5).

Cost is high, but performance is also high!
Awesome! I might have to look into that as I’m leaving my dense building for a larger home in several months! I need a mesh system.

Back