Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello all!

I made my first Hackintosh with a Z490 Vision D in November last year and until now it is working very well. Now, I wanted to make another one with the same specs with found out that the Z490 Vision D is not widely available anymore or if it is, it is very expensive. Instead, there's the Z590 Vision D.

My question is, can I use this motherboard instead but with the rest of the components the same, i.e., with i5-10400 CPU, RX 580, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!

I made my first Hackintosh with a Z490 Vision D in November last year and until now it is working very well. Now, I wanted to make another one with the same specs with found out that the Z490 Vision D is not widely available anymore or if it is, it is very expensive. Instead, there's the Z590 Vision D.

My question is, can I use this motherboard instead but with the rest of the components the same, i.e., with i5-10400 cpu, rx580, etc?

Thanks in advance!
You could also Wait for Z690 it’s coming soon. I have the Z590 Vision D, and it works. But it is not the best implementation by Gigabyte. And I feel their quality assurance has taken a turn for the worse at least during the pandemic.

The board works but not as well as the Z490 Vision (Thundebolt hot plug is broken in macOS). You have to put the system to s3 sleep first and wake it up in order for hot plug to work in macOS. Thunderbolt Hot plug works fine in win/Linux however.

And if I remember correctly you won’t have use of the comet lake iGPU via Z590 if you needed to use it.

I don’t want other people to buy this board and get frustrated from its quirks. I actually have to run an unreleased BIOS for better stability. I would actually recommend the Z590 MSI Ace or the Z590 Asus HERO. Up to you.

Last edited:
You could also Wait for z690 it’s coming soon. I have the z590 vision d and it works, but it is not the best implementation by gigabyte. And I feel their quality assurance has taken a turn for the worse at least during the pandemic.

The board works but not as well as the z490 vision d (thundebolt hotplug is broken in macOS). You have to put the system to s3 sleep first and wake it up in order for hotplug to work in macOS. Thunderbolt Hotplug works fine in win/Linux however.

And if I remember correctly you won’t have use of the comet lake igpu via z590 if you needed to use it.

I don’t want other people to buy this board and get frustrated from its quirks. I actually have to run an unreleased BIOS for better stability. I would actually recommend the z590 MSI Ace or the z590 Asus Hero. Up to you.
Thank you very much, @dehjomz ! I don't have any preference when it comes to the brand, and it's because I don't have much knowledge to know which brand is better. So your reply is very helpful.

Unfortunately, the MSI Ace and Asus HERO are almost double the price of the Z590 Vision D. Probably because they are much better.

Can you recommend another board that is not too expensive? I'm planning to use an i5 or i7 10th gen CPU. Thunderbolt would be nice, but not necessary, because I'll be using a 10G network card instead of using thunderbolt with 10G like in my Z490 Vision D. But it should at least have USB 3.2.

Thanks again!

Hello all!

My question is, can I use this motherboard instead but with the rest of the components the same, i.e., with i5-10400 CPU, RX 580, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Hello @louierh70,

If you would like to build another comparable Hackintosh now, then a good choice is the Gigabyte Z490 Vision G. If Thunderbolt is needed, then the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge can be installed and connected to the motherboard's Thunderbolt header.

Z590 is also viable if you're okay with the comments/limitations mentioned by @dehjomz.

I just installed Windows 10 yesterday, so here are some suggestions:
  • Format the Windows NVMe SSD (not the USB install disk) on a Mac (yes, a Mac) using Disk Utility:
    • Name: Windows
    • Format: FAT32
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  • It's important to set the Scheme to GUID Partition Map. This creates an EFI partition on the Windows NVMe (or SATA) SSD.
  • Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 (this must be done on a Windows machine) and then use that tool to create the USB install disk.
  • Now physically disconnect all macOS drives from the system. If you fail to do this, the Windows installer will abort.
  • When the Windows installer starts and you reach the screen to Format the destination disk, select the large FAT32 partition on the Windows NVMe SSD (not the smaller EFI partition).
    • Then delete that FAT32 partition.
    • Now it will change to "Unallocated space".
    • Highlight that row.
    • And click Install. Windows will be installed into the "Unallocated space".
  • When Windows is fully installed, you may shut down the system and reinstall the macOS SSDs.
    • At the OpenCore Picker menu you should now see an option to boot Windows.
What do you recommend to do in my case:
Everything working fine on Saturday night, (I was gaming Battefield) turn off the computer.
Turn on the computer on Sunday, BIOS is reseted.
Load the saved profile of Hackintosh.
Hackintosh working normally, but the SSD of windows (although the SSD is recognized on AHCI SATA section), It doesn't show as option to boot in the BIOS much less in the OpenCore.
What I do now? I removed the drive and put back - nothing.
I turn off everything pulling out the PSU cable - nothing.
Thanks
Fab

Thank you very much, @dehjomz ! I don't have any preference when it comes to the brand, and it's because I don't have much knowledge to know which brand is better. So your reply is very helpful.

Unfortunately, the MSI Ace and Asus HERO are almost double the price of the Z590 Vision D. Probably because they are much better.

Can you recommend another board that is not too expensive? I'm planning to use an i5 or i7 10th gen CPU. Thunderbolt would be nice, but not necessary, because I'll be using a 10G network card instead of using thunderbolt with 10G like in my Z490 Vision D. But it should at least have USB 3.2.

Thanks again!
If you don’t need Thunderbolt, then as Casey recommends, the Z490 Vision G is a fine alternative. I’ve never used it myself, so I can’t vouch for it personally. But several people on this site have used it and have praised it.

For Thunderbolt, you can always buy the Gigabyte Titan Ridge or their new Maple Ridge TB4 add in card.

In Phase 1 of the installation after about 25% and before the first reboot the installation seems to crash for me with a black screen. I first thought it was rebooting but nothing came up on screen for a good 15 minutes.
I'm assuming I probably have a Motherboard setting wrong or made a mistake in Open Core?

• What is the make/model of the keyboard?
  • What is the make/model of the mouse?
  • Please try disabling the UEFI driver: OpenUsbKbDxe
Some keyboards and mice are having this problem
[..]

Hi @CaseySJ

I am using a Corsair K95 Platinum & Logitech MX Master 2 - the latter is connected via USB receiver.
I did disable OpenUsbKbDxe and it works buttery smooth now. You're a star. Shall I make any test for you to try something on my input devices, let me know.

I need to ask something else about Opencore but I don't have much time right now - I'll do it soon.

@CaseySJ:

With the Monterey public beta, I have noticed something that concerns me.

I struggled to get a clone backup of two separate Monterey systems (my Z490 and my Z370), with the very latest beta. I normally backup via a USB to Sata adapter to a cloned 2.5" SSD, and I could not get any of my USB cloned disks to boot via any USB port on either of the two Monterey systems. Booting this way (USB to 2.5" Sata disk) has been my common practice for many many years, and with the exception of a hardware failure, it's always worked, and worked really well. Until this Monterey beta.

Just as an exercise, I decided to open the case on one of them, and plug that cloned drive directly into the system via a Sata internal connector, and it booted. Then I tried the other backup on the other system (connecting the Sata drive directly internally), and it also booted.

I know that you cannot boot Windows via USB, but my Linux systems and previous Mac installs always have. My backups of Linux are backed up via USB to a disk, and they boot just fine via USB.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my two systems, but I don't know and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this change with the latest Monterey beta?

Note: If this is not the place for this comment/question, please either delete or move to a more appropriate thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back