Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I LOVE hackintosh :)
I removed NVMe and try to install Win 11 on one of my SATA HD. Same issue, unable to reboot at the end of the 1st stage.
I suspected my USB key preparation to be maybe wrong and did another one with a different method following that "tutorial" (Terminal OSX part, not presales software). All went smoothly.
While rebooting, I noticed on the BIOS menu that I get 2 EFI on the USB key, only one leading to the install Windows menu.
The 2nd EFI proposed drive me again to the OC menu.
Unfortunately booting on the correct EFI leads to the same conclusion: Failed to prepare the reboot at the end of the 1st installation stage.

Do you remember having 2 EFI booting form your Win11 USB install key or not?
I don't have any other idea yet... :(
I know -- sometimes life is just a circus and the best remedy for that is a good sense of humor. :)

All I can tell you is that I followed a specific guide (link in my previous reply) to create a Windows 11 USB install disk (with full Windows 11 ISO Image downloaded on it). It took a long time to create the USB install disk. I used a good quality Samsung Bar Plus 32GB flash disk that has 200 MB/s read speed.

I installed Windows on a 2.5" SATA SSD with both of my macOS NVMe SSDs plugged in. I did this on my AMD Ryzen-based Gigabyte B550 Vision D running BIOS F13 that has the latest TPM firmware.

Result: Windows 11 got installed with not a single problem during or after. There is actually no EFI partition on the USB install disk. Instead, it has a FAT32 partition with the EFI boot loader, and a separate NTFS partition with the Windows installer.

In your case it might be best to try installing the latest Gigabyte Z490 Vision D firmware (BIOS) and to enable Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT).

Thanks alot @CaseySJ (as usual !...)
PTT is enable otherwise install can't start.
I don't really need Win 11. It's more fun and part of the experimentation process.
I am a bit reluctant to upgrade BIOS as most of your posts quote that F6 is the one you recommend for many various reasons...
Or I could upgrade BIOS to install Win 11 and then revert back to F6.
Better I save my BIOS setup on a USB key then !
Do you agree with that strategy?

Thanks alot @CaseySJ (as usual !...)
PTT is enable otherwise install can't start.
I don't really need Win 11. It's more fun and part of the experimentation process.
I am a bit reluctant to upgrade BIOS as most of your posts quote that F6 is the one you recommend for many various reasons...
Or I could upgrade BIOS to install Win 11 and then revert back to F6.
Better I save my BIOS setup on a USB key then !
Do you agree with that strategy?
Yes I agree with that strategy.

Another word of caution: It's good to connect the computer to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so that any power blackout or brownout during BIOS update does not brick the motherboard.

Another word of caution: It's good to connect the computer to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so that any power blackout or brownout during BIOS update does not brick the motherboard.
Especially in Cambodia ! :cool:

Finally I replace my crashing 5700 XT by a 3060 Ti (for gaming).
I'm running Big Sur without acceleration. :thumbdown
I want to use the discrete with Windows and the Intel iGPU with Big Sur.
Before changing EFI files (I'm using AMD config.plist), I'm trying to boot using two cables: HDMI for macOS, DisplayPort for w10.
I updated my BIOS to F20 (for Resize-Bar), but can't see the BIOS using the HDMI (iGPU).
With the F20 BIOS, the iGPU option are limited to auto, enable, disable and can't select initial graphics card.
Any idea?

On the road again :)
To make a long story short:
- I finally managed to install Win 10 and THEN upgrade to Win 11 on my SATA HD, as I was a bit reluctant to move my BIOS to F20 and then back to 5.
- Win 11 was so slow to install and run on SATA HD (my generation just recently moved to SSD and HD has been the "standard" for so many years...)
- Therefore I decided to dismantle everything again and did the install again on a small 2'5 SSD.
- Everything is now running smoothly !
- The only "problem :) " is that I no longer have any SATA line available as Monterey is running on a NVMe, Win 11 on a SATA SSD and I have 4 HDs for storage.

Once again thanks you so much @CaseySJ for your invaluable time and advice.
I now wait for HackinDROM to be properly updated to move to OC 0.73 !

Tony,

For your use case is it technically necessary to use a television, or can a computer monitor do the job as well? Also, just as an experiment, have you tried connecting a computer monitor in place of the TV to see if the same high-GPU usage problem still occurs?
@CaseySJ, The real estate is needed (55 or 65”), since we are scoring feature movies and other visual packages.
A few years back, we acquired a Samsung 49” monitor which although quite large for a computer monitor, seemed inadequate.

I have not tried an additional computer monitor on this particular video card. I will attempt today and report.

What are your thoughts on a second installed video card? This, just for the television. I have removed the Fenvi. An Asus 5700 XT is the only Pci card installed.

Also, we have updated. The system has a clean install of Big Sur and OC 0.7.2.

Tony.

@CaseySJ, The real estate is needed (55 or 65”), since we are scoring feature movies and other visual packages.
A few years back, we acquired a Samsung 49” monitor which although quite large for a computer monitor, seemed inadequate.

I have not tried an additional computer monitor on this particular video card. I will attempt today and report.

What are your thoughts on a second installed video card? This, just for the television. I have removed the Fenvi. An Asus 5700 XT is the only Pci card installed.

Also, we have updated. The system has a clean install of Big Sur and OC 0.7.2.

Tony.
One more quick comment: Is Deep Color (HDR) enabled on the TV? If so, we should disable that mode and see what happens.

Back