Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Useful information for iGPU users:
if you need 4K@60Hz on HDMI with iGPU UDH 630 (10th gen CPU), you can use this active DP->HDMI adapter:

Tested on my system, works great. Supports HDR!

If you want to destroy the current Windows 10 installation and replace it with a fresh Windows 11 installation, then I suggest the following:
  1. Boot macOS
  2. Run Disk Utility, click the parent name of the Windows 10 disk, and click Erase
  3. Select:
    • Name: (Anything)
    • Format: exFAT
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map <-- this is important
  4. Then connect the Windows 11 USB install disk and reboot the computer.
  5. Press F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot menu) and select the Windows 11 USB install disk.
  6. When the installer starts it will ask you to select the destination disk. Carefully look through the choices and find the disk that contains the exFAT partition -- that will be your old Windows 10 disk.
  7. Select the exFAT partition and click Delete, but do not delete the smaller EFI partition.
  8. The deleted partition will change to "Available" or "Unformatted" or something like that.
  9. Select the available/unformatted partition and continue the installation.

@CaseySJ
Honestly I am speechless. Your explanations are always beyond expectations... So comprehensive...
Well I feel I am close to the install, but unfortunately the initial checkup says that "My computer does not meet minimum requirements" which is pretty funny indeed... :)
Did you face that issue?
How to solve it?
My Bios set up is exactly the same as yours (same for OC although iti is not involved at that stage).
Once again , so many thanks for your support !

@CaseySJ
Honestly I am speechless. Your explanations are always beyond expectations... So comprehensive...
Well I feel I am close to the install, but unfortunately the initial checkup says that "My computer does not meet minimum requirements" which is pretty funny indeed... :)
Did you face that issue?
How to solve it?
My Bios set up is exactly the same as yours (same for OC although iti is not involved at that stage).
Once again , so many thanks for your support !
In BIOS have you enabled "Intel Platform Trust Technology" (PTT)?

installing Win 11 goes fine but then 1st reboot fails :( .
What exactly do you see on the reboot? Have you tried pressing F12 during Gigabyte splash screen and selecting the Windows disk directly from the BIOS boot manager (not through OpenCore)?

I described my own Windows 11 installation experience in this post, albeit on AMD Ryzen. Are you following a similar approach?

I did follow the same link...

Attachments

• IMG_20210909_180335.jpg
    IMG_20210909_180335.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210909_180742.jpg
    IMG_20210909_180742.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20210909_180800.jpg
    IMG_20210909_180800.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 66
I did follow the same link...
That error message (screenshot 3) means you’ll need to remove macOS SSDs. Alas there’s no other solution I’m aware of… :(

Thanks a lot !
I'll book 1st an appointment with my chiropractor. :)
Are you installing Windows 11 on an internal NVMe SSD or a SATA 2.5” SSD? If macOS is on NVMe, then you should be able to install Windows on 2.5” SATA SSD without having to remove macOS NVMe SSD. That’s what I described in my post.

After that it may be possible to clone Windows from the SATA SSD to a NVMe SSD, but it’s best to check a Windows forum or Google for good suggestions on cloning Windows disks.

Back