Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I am planning to install it on my current windows 10 disk.
I don't care the current windows 10.
Can I boot on OC, select the Win 11 installer from the USB key and select my Win 10 drive as destination?
Or should i format that disk before? In that case in which format? It is currently NTFS and I have Tuxera disk manager to handle it.

I am planning to install it on my current windows 10 disk.
I don't care the current windows 10.
Can I boot on OC, select the Win 11 installer from the USB key and select my Win 10 drive as destination?
Or should i format that disk before? In that case in which format? It is currently NTFS and I have Tuxera disk manager to handle it.
If you want to destroy the current Windows 10 installation and replace it with a fresh Windows 11 installation, then I suggest the following:
  1. Boot macOS
  2. Run Disk Utility, click the parent name of the Windows 10 disk, and click Erase
  3. Select:
    • Name: (Anything)
    • Format: exFAT
    • Scheme: GUID Partition Map <-- this is important
  4. Then connect the Windows 11 USB install disk and reboot the computer.
  5. Press F12 at the Gigabyte splash screen to open the BIOS boot menu (not OpenCore boot menu) and select the Windows 11 USB install disk.
  6. When the installer starts it will ask you to select the destination disk. Carefully look through the choices and find the disk that contains the exFAT partition -- that will be your old Windows 10 disk.
  7. Select the exFAT partition and click Delete, but do not delete the smaller EFI partition.
  8. The deleted partition will change to "Available" or "Unformatted" or something like that.
  9. Select the available/unformatted partition and continue the installation.

Hello @tonben,

Depending on the make/model of the television it may be necessary to use an HDMI port that is specifically designed for gaming consoles and PCs. The instruction manual for the TV should have this information. Subsequently, it may be necessary to change refresh rate on the Hackintosh to 30Hz.
@CaseySJ As suggested, we have lowered the refresh rate to 30 Hz on the 5700 XT.

With both 4K monitors connected to the display ports and the television connected to the Hdmi port, HWmonitor's GPU meter remains at 100%.

With the television disconnected from the 5700 XT, HWmonitor meter reflects just under 50% while in operation.

We have not been able to get on board Hdmi working. The hope was, using the on board Hdmi port would minimize the load on the video card. How do I achieve this?

If not would a second Video card or a video playback card be a workable solution?

Additionally, why would a USB-3 to DP, Hdmi, ethernet, audio, etc., dock not work?

After installing the required driver, all ports BUT the video connections function.

Hmmmm??? I am stumped.

Respectfuly,

Tony

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 6.32.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.08.33 PM.pngIMG_1037.jpg

@CaseySJ As suggested, we have lowered the refresh rate to 30 Hz on the 5700 XT.

With both 4K monitors connected to the display ports and the television connected to the Hdmi port, HWmonitor's GPU meter remains at 100%.

With the television disconnected from the 5700 XT, HWmonitor meter reflects just under 50% while in operation.

We have not been able to get on board Hdmi working. The hope was, using the on board Hdmi port would minimize the load on the video card. How do I achieve this?

If not would a second Video card or a video playback card be a workable solution?

Additionally, why would a USB-3 to DP, Hdmi, ethernet, audio, etc., dock not work?

After installing the required driver, all ports BUT the video connections function.

Hmmmm??? I am stumped.

Respectfuly,

Tony
Tony,

To enable on-board HDMI port we can simply do the following:
  • Backup your existing config.plist.
  • Open config-Intel-iGPU.plist (attached) in a text editor such as BBEdit.
  • Scroll down to the section shown and copy the entire thing to clipboard.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 4.32.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 4.33.59 PM.png

• Open your existing config.plist and scroll down to the same PciRoot section.
  • Highlight the entire existing section from <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key> to </dict>
  • Paste the clipboard such that the entire existing section is replaced.
  • Save the file and reboot.
  • Connect TV to on-board HDMI port.
A USB-C dock with HDMI output connected to one of the rear Thunderbolt/USB-C ports should also work after this change is made.

Attachments

• config-Intel-iGPU.plist
    30 KB · Views: 49
I would like to confirm an observation that has already been previously mentioned and that is with regards to the difficulty booting into Windows after updating to the recent OpenCore configuration which allows for AppleVTD. I just upgraded to OpenCore 0.7.2 from my original installation using 0.6.7 and experienced the same blank screen when selecting Windows in the OpenCore menu. Simply enabling VT-d in the BIOS fixed the problem. I did not have to undo the other settings which allow for AppleVTD. I humbly suggest that maybe mention should be made of this in the original installation guide as it still reads that VT-d should be disabled. This would be extremely helpful to any newcomers or to someone that only infrequently follows this thread.

Hmmmm??? I am stumped.

Respectfuly,

Tony

View attachment 528515View attachment 528516View attachment 528517
Does this result in loss of performance for you? I have 1x1440p and 1x4K monitors, both connected via DP and my RX700xt memory is always at max in istat menus, but it doesn’t seem to hinder my system at all.

Does this result in loss of performance for you? I have 1x1440p and 1x4K monitors, both connected via DP and my RX700xt memory is always at max in istat menus, but it doesn’t seem to hinder my system at all.
@canyondust, I am at 100% whenever we connect two 4k Monitors and a 4k television simultaneously. Otherwise the memory meter hovers around 50%.

I incorrectly stated we were using HWmonitor. We are in fact using Istat menus. We are running an application named Luna. Luna is HIGHLY GPU intensive.

Tony

@canyondust, I am at 100% whenever we connect two 4k Monitors and a 4k television simultaneously. Otherwise the memory meter hovers around 50%.

I incorrectly stated we were using HWmonitor. We are in fact using Istat menus. We are running an application named Luna. Luna is HIGHLY GPU intensive.

Tony

Yes, but are you noticing suffering performance? (I also use Luna, but not on my hackintosh). I ask because I think the video card memory usage display in iStat Menus is actually a bug. Does video playback slow a a crawl when you're at 100% GPU memory use, window animation become extremely slow / choppy, apps quit, etc?

Tony,

To enable on-board HDMI port we can simply do the following:
  • Backup your existing config.plist.
  • Open config-Intel-iGPU.plist (attached) in a text editor such as BBEdit.
  • Scroll down to the section shown and copy the entire thing to clipboard.View attachment 528518View attachment 528519
  • Open your existing config.plist and scroll down to the same PciRoot section.
  • Highlight the entire existing section from <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key> to </dict>
  • Paste the clipboard such that the entire existing section is replaced.
  • Save the file and reboot.
  • Connect TV to on-board HDMI port.
A USB-C dock with HDMI output connected to one of the rear Thunderbolt/USB-C ports should also work after this change is made.
@CaseySJ, we copied the needed text to the config.plist as instructed, rebooted, and was successful with on board Hdmi.

Istat menu's GPU memory meter seemed lower at aproximatly 25 to 30%, plus the frame rate was averaging 120fps. Interesting!!!

The video tearing/distortation on the television which was intermittent while connected to the video card, became permanent when on board Hdmi was in use.

I have attached two screen-shots indicating what Luna's GUI should be and what is reproduced on the television.

Luna, the application that produces the issue, generates a spanking on most systems' GPU.

I have ordered a Blackmagic Design Decklink Playback card to experiment further.

I will keep everyone informed.

Tony.
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 9.36.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 9.37.21 PM.png

@CaseySJ, we copied the needed text to the config.plist as instructed, rebooted, and was successful with on board Hdmi.

Istat menu's GPU memory meter seemed lower at aproximatly 25 to 30%, plus the frame rate was averaging 120fps. Interesting!!!

The video tearing/distortation on the television which was intermittent while connected to the video card, became permanent when on board Hdmi was in use.

I have attached two screen-shots indicating what Luna's GUI should be and what is reproduced on the television.

Luna, the application that produces the issue, generates a spanking on most systems' GPU.

I have ordered a Blackmagic Design Decklink Playback card to experiment further.

I will keep everyone informed.

Tony.
View attachment 528528View attachment 528529
I’m using Luna Display, not THAT Luna :)

Back