Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I managed to get OSX High-Sierra it working on our board with Nvidia GTX1080 video card with OpenCore 0.6.5. This topic served as the basis for the configuration. The configuration was adapted to our board. The incorrectly launched Opencore 0.6.5 has also been fixed (some modules remained from version 0.5.9)
Works:
Nvidia GTX 1080 ti hardware acceleration;
Intel hardware acceleration (monitor connected to Nvidia card);
Intel i219 network adapter;
Integrated Intel bluetooth;
Integrated audio..

Does not work:
Intel i225 network adapter;
Integrated Intel Wi-Fi;
If you connect the monitor to the iGPU, the image with artefacts. Perhaps this can be fixed, but I don't need it. The monitor is connected to an Nvidia card.

Serial numbers have been removed from the configuration file. To work, you need to generate new numbers in the configurator (version 2.25.0) for OpenCore 0.6.5.

Attachments

• High-Sierra-OC-065-Vision-Z490D.zip
    25.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 2021-09-07_18-03-53.png
    2021-09-07_18-03-53.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 78
** OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for Z490 Vision G, not D **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Reminder: Disable Serial Port in BIOS --> IO Ports

Update 9 Sep 2021:
HackinDROM 2.0.0 Beta (click here) can be used to update to OpenCore 0.7.3.

** NOTE **
Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to 0.7.3 Release Version (do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier)​

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.3
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.7
3. AppleALC 1.6.4
4. Lilu 1.5.6
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.3
6. RestrictEvents 1.0.4
7. CpuTscSync 1.0.4 (to see if it helps avoid crashes from certain wake-from-sleep scenarios)

Changes to config.plist:
  • Support for AppleVTD:
    • Enabling AppleVTD allows greater number of Thunderbolt devices to connect, including (a) Antelope Audio Devices, (b) Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter, etc.
    • DisableIoMapper kernel quirk has been disabled.
    • Standard DMAR table is being deleted and replaced with modified DMAR.
  • Your Action: You can still choose to enable to disable AppleVTD by following the steps in this post.
  • UEFI --> Drivers format has changed from simple array to dict. Please do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier as it will corrupt the config.plist.
  • PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode has been changed from Create to Custom. Additionally, kernel quirk CustomSMBIOSGuid has been enabled. This allows Windows to use the computer name you specified. Thanks to @Ploddles for the tip.
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.
If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.3 Release Version (not 0.7.3 Development Version).

WARNING: Until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 is released, we can only use a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit and follow the procedure below:
  1. Download the ZIP file
  2. It will downloaded into a folder called EFI-OC-073-VISION-G-NOT-D
    • Rename this top level folder to EFI
  3. Choose appropriate config.plist as follows:
    • If using AMD GPU, rename config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist
    • If you do not have a discrete GPU, rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist
  4. Edit the new config.plist in a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit
  5. Open your current config.plist in the same editor
  6. Copy the selected section from current config.plist and paste it into new config.plist
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.44.11 AM.png
  7. Save the new config.plist
  8. WARNING: If you have customized your config.plist, it may be best to wait until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 or newer is released that supports 0.7.3 Release Version (not 0.7.3 Development Version)
  9. Copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive
  10. Boot the system from the USB flash drive by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen and selecting the USB flash disk
  11. When OpenCore Picker GUI appears, check that bottom right corner says REL-073-...
  12. If macOS boots and runs properly, then copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD

For manual update purposes, the ZIP file is attached below.
  • File is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (5.8 MB).

Post-Update Procedure: Catalina users only.
  • If you're using OpenIntelWireless drivers for WiFi and BT, please change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> j137 otherwise Catalina will not boot
  • Please make the change shown below to enable the i225-V Ethernet port (it will run at 1GbE speeds, however).
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.01.48 PM.png

Updates:
  • 7 Sept 2021: First version

Attachments

• EFI-073-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I managed to get OSX High-Sierra it working on our board with Nvidia GTX1080 video card with OpenCore 0.6.5. This topic served as the basis for the configuration. The configuration was adapted to our board. The incorrectly launched Opencore 0.6.5 has also been fixed (some modules remained from version 0.5.9)
Works:
Integrated audio..

Does not work:
Integrated Intel Wi-Fi;
If you connect the monitor to the iGPU, the image with artefacts. Perhaps this can be fixed, but I don't need it. The monitor is connected to an Nvidia card.

Serial numbers have been removed from the configuration file. To work, you need to generate new numbers in the configurator (version 2.25.0) for OpenCore 0.6.5.
Good job! Will add a reference to this in Post 1.

Works:
Integrated audio..

Does not work:
Integrated Intel Wi-Fi;

I still have a vintage GTX1080, I remember the days when it used to power my hack. I was sad when Nvidia and Apple broke up (around the release of macOS 10.14) and Nvidia cards stopped working on macOS. Long live the 1080 and 1080TI!

I must have missed the memo…what’s the RestrictEvents kext for? TIA.

Windows 11 can be installed without removing macOS drives, but the Windows 10 installer will most likely display a fatal error and quit. Have you tried it yet?

@CaseySJ
My Windows 10, although properly installed and working fine in the past, can't be currently used as it may be corrupted and freeze soon after launch. I even can't repair it.
It would be a nightmare to reinstall as I would have to remove all other SSDs and HDs and therefore remove graphic card and so on to unplug disks.

I have been able to create a bootable iso of Windows 11 thanks to Unetbootin.
You confirm that I can safely install windows 11 on the same Windows 10 disk without removing all other disks?
This would really make my task easier...

@CaseySJ
You confirm that I can safely install windows 11 on the same Windows 10 disk without removing all other disks?
I performed a clean installation of Windows 11 on a separate SSD without removing any macOS disks. If you are thinking of upgrading your Windows 10 disk to Windows 11, then I would strongly suggest making a full backup of Windows 10 disk first. The Windows 11 installer should be able to run even with macOS disks still attached.

Back