Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Still getting freezes after making the changes above. I recall reading somewhere that people had issues while using iStat Menus, which I use. I'm going to disable it for the time being.

Edit: Disabling iStat Menus did not resolve the issue
Some follow-ups:
  • What is the make and model of every NVMe SSD in your system?
  • If the system had been running smoothly for some weeks, then it might be good to try this experiment:
    • Buy or find a spare 128GB or larger SATA SSD (these are very cheap).
    • Install the SATA SSD either internally or in external USB 3 enclosure.
    • Install Catalina from scratch on the SATA SSD -- using the same EFI folder you're using now.
    • When Catalina is fully installed:
      • Do not use Migration Assistant
      • Do not install any third-party software
      • Just check the system for stability:
        • Use the Photos app
        • Use the Music app
        • Use the Safari browser
      • Leave the system running for long periods of time (i.e. 12 hours or overnight), but do not disable sleep
      • Is the system stable?

@CaseySJ Hi there, I have a dual boot system with Windows, and, for a while, the login screen has been blurry with no possibility to enter the pin to log in. Tried many solutions but could not fix it. So I am going to reinstall Windows (that might also fix the constant reset when trying to boot windows from OC). However, I would like to avoid removing all the NVMe except the Windows one where I will reinstall it (have to remove the video card, etc.). Given that you can't disable NVMe slots in the BIOS, is it safe to reinstall Windows with my macOS system disk still installed? What precaution should I take?

Hello everyone,

We have been running three Z490 Vision D builds for a year and a half.
Each system has a i9-10090K CPU, 64Gigs Memory, 1Tb NVMe and an Asus RX 5700-XT GPU.

All machines are in daily production use and are extremely stable. Installed Mac OS is Catalina with OpenCore 0.6.6, onboard Intel Bluetooth & WiFi and flashed Thunderbolt chip.

Two 32” 4K monitors connected via DisplayPort cables operate perfectly.

I am humbly inquiring methods to connect an additional 55” 4K television to each system.

What we have done;
  1. Connected HDMI from the 5700 XT to television. This works however, the GPU meter in HWmonitor is stuck at 100% resulting in video tearing at times. Usable but not ideal.
  2. Connected a passive USB-c to HDMI adapter. We tried this adapter on a TB port and a USB-C port connected onto the motherboard. Did not work.
  3. Purchased and attempted using a USB 3.0 Dock (VISIONTEK USB 3.0 DOCK VT1000) connecting to USB HS03/SS03, HS04/SS04 AND HS07/SS07. All without luck.
  4. The on board HDMI port also does not work.

Help??????

Opinions…..what advantage, if any, in moving to OpenCore 0.7.2 if stable at 0.6.6?

Please all stay safe,

Tony.

Hello everyone,

Each system has a i9-10090K CPU, 64Gigs Memory, 1Tb NVMe and an Asus RX 5700-XT GPU.

All machines are in daily production use and are extremely stable. Installed Mac OS is Catalina with OpenCore 0.6.6, onboard Intel Bluetooth & WiFi and flashed Thunderbolt chip.

I am humbly inquiring methods to connect an additional 55” 4K television to each system.

What we have done;
  1. Connected HDMI from the 5700 XT to television. This works however, the GPU meter in HWmonitor is stuck at 100% resulting in video tearing at times. Usable but not ideal.
  2. Connected a passive USB-c to HDMI adapter. We tried this adapter on a TB port and a USB-C port connected onto the motherboard. Did not work.
  3. Purchased and attempted using a USB 3.0 Dock (VISIONTEK USB 3.0 DOCK VT1000) connecting to USB HS03/SS03, HS04/SS04 AND HS07/SS07. All without luck.

Help??????

Opinions…..what advantage, if any, in moving to OpenCore 0.7.2 if stable at 0.6.6?

Please all stay safe,

Tony.

Did you try using a DP to HDMI directly from the video card for the third?

Did you try using a DP to HDMI directly from the video card for the third?
@scottkendall We have attempted both DP and HDMI from the Video Card to the television. This method works, but the Video card struggles. Thank you.

... Given that you can't disable NVMe slots in the BIOS, is it safe to reinstall Windows with my macOS system disk still installed? What precaution should I take?
Windows 11 can be installed without removing macOS drives, but the Windows 10 installer will most likely display a fatal error and quit. Have you tried it yet?

Hello everyone,

What we have done;

Help??????

Please all stay safe,

Tony.
Hello @tonben,

Depending on the make/model of the television it may be necessary to use an HDMI port that is specifically designed for gaming consoles and PCs. The instruction manual for the TV should have this information. Subsequently, it may be necessary to change refresh rate on the Hackintosh to 30Hz.

OpenCore 0.7.3 just released. Will update EFI folders tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 3.56.28 PM.png

Windows 11 can be installed without removing macOS drives, but the Windows 10 installer will most likely display a fatal error and quit. Have you tried it yet?
No I have not tried it yet. I don't want to install Windows 11 because it is causing lots of issues with flight Simulator (that's the only reason I have Windows 10 so that I can enjoy flight simulator with a VR helmet).
So I guess that I don't really have a choice but to remove the macOS drives.

** OpenCore 0.7.3 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update 9 Sep 2021:
HackinDROM 2.0.0 Beta (click here) can be used to update to OpenCore 0.7.3.

** NOTE **
Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to 0.7.3 Release Version (do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier)​

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.3
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.7
3. AppleALC 1.6.4
4. Lilu 1.5.6
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.3
6. RestrictEvents 1.0.4
7. CpuTscSync 1.0.4 (to see if it helps avoid crashes from certain wake-from-sleep scenarios)

Changes to config.plist:
  • Support for AppleVTD:
    • Enabling AppleVTD allows greater number of Thunderbolt devices to connect, including (a) Antelope Audio Devices, (b) Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter, etc.
    • DisableIoMapper kernel quirk has been disabled.
    • Standard DMAR table is being deleted and replaced with modified DMAR.
  • Your Action: You can still choose to enable to disable AppleVTD by following the steps in this post.
  • UEFI --> Drivers format has changed from simple array to dict. Please do not use OpenCore Configurator 2.48.1.0 or earlier as it will corrupt the config.plist.
  • PlatformInfo --> UpdateSMBIOSMode has been changed from Create to Custom. Additionally, kernel quirk CustomSMBIOSGuid has been enabled. This allows Windows to use the computer name you specified. Thanks to @Ploddles for the tip.
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.
If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.3 Release Version (not 0.7.3 Development Version).

WARNING: Until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 is released, we can only use a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit and follow the procedure below:
  1. Download the ZIP file
  2. It will downloaded into a folder called OC-073-VISION-D
    • Rename this top level folder to EFI
  3. Choose appropriate config.plist as follows:
    • If using AMD GPU, rename config-AMD-GPU.plist to config.plist
    • If you do not have a discrete GPU, rename config-Intel-iGPU.plist to config.plist
  4. Edit the new config.plist in a Plist Editor or text editor such as BBEdit
  5. Open your current config.plist in the same editor
  6. Copy the selected section from current config.plist and paste it into new config.plist
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 7.44.11 AM.png
  7. Save the new config.plist
  8. WARNING: If you have customized your config.plist, it may be best to wait until OpenCore Configurator 2.48.2.0 or newer is released that supports 0.7.3 Release Version (not 0.7.3 Development Version)
  9. Copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of a USB flash drive
  10. Boot the system from the USB flash drive by pressing F12 at Gigabyte Splash Screen and selecting the USB flash disk
  11. When OpenCore Picker GUI appears, check that bottom right corner says REL-073-...
  12. If macOS boots and runs properly, then copy the new EFI folder to the EFI partition of the internal macOS SSD

For manual update purposes, the ZIP files are attached below.
  • File on left is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (5.7 MB).
  • File on right is for Intel WiFi/BT (62.5 MB).

Post-Update Procedure: Catalina users only.
  • If you're using OpenIntelWireless drivers for WiFi and BT, please change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> j137 otherwise Catalina will not boot
  • Please make the change shown below to enable the i225-V Ethernet port (it will run at 1GbE speeds, however).
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.01.48 PM.png

Updates:
  • 7 Sept 2021: First version

Attachments

• OC-073-VISION-D.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 282
  • OC-073-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    62.5 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Back