Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ,

I have a BIG problem: my computer does not start any more after the Intel Wireless tests. I used BIOS F20b and stored it on an USB stick. Then I loaded BIOS F5 as you recommended for the wireless test. At the end of the testing, I wanted to reload my original BIOS F20b with all the individual fan settings. All seemed OK, checksum,...but at the end of the reload the computer did not reboot. If I now press the power button, the fans do not move, only the red CPU led gives a short light flash, that's all. I took out the CMOS battery but it did not change anything. The power supply shows the correct voltages at the 24 pin connector (but it is measured with no load).
  • Any idea how I can get my mainboard starting again?
Cheers,
Peter

Removing CMOS battery may not help for BIOS issue. Usually you need to clear your CMOS settings by the the jumper on the mainboard, and connect it to other pins on the same jumper. Then restore is to normal position.

Hi @CaseySJ,

I have a BIG problem: my computer does not start any more after the Intel Wireless tests. I used BIOS F20b and stored it on an usb stick. Then I loaded BIOS F5 as you recommended for the wireless test. At the end of the testing I wanted to reload my original BIOS F20b with all the individual fan settings. All seemed ok, checksum,...but at the end of the reload the computer did not reboot. If I now press the power button, the fans do not move, only the red CPU led gives a short light flash, that's all. I took out the CMOS battery but it did not change anything. The power supply shows the correct voltages at the 24 pin connector (but it is measured with no load).
  • Any idea how I can get my mainboard starting again?
Cheers,
Peter
Peter,

Have you tried CMOS Reset? This is done by shorting the two designated pins near the bottom right corner of the motherboard. It’s best to check the procedure in your motherboard owner’s manual.

Let us know if that makes any difference.

Peter,

Have you tried CMOS Reset? This is done by shorting the two designated pins near the bottom right corner of the motherboard. It’s best to check the procedure in your motherboard owner’s manual.

Let us know if that makes any difference.
Hi @CaseySJ and @eos1d3,

many thanks for the input. It did not help to connect the designated pins. I then removed graphics card, ram, cpu, and ... from the motherboard and tried the Q-Flash procedure. Nothing happened, the mainboard seems to be just dead.

The voltages on both mainboard connectors seem to be ok, at least without load. If I press the power button, the red cpu light blinks one time and the fans connected to the hub of my case turn one or two times. That's all.
  • So I guess the power supply is ok and I have to find another mainboard?
Cheers,
Peter

Hi @CaseySJ and @eos1d3,

many thanks for the input. It did not help to connect the designated pins. I then removed graphics card, ram, cpu, and ... from the motherboard and tried the Q-Flash procedure. Nothing happened, the mainboard seems to be just dead.

The voltages on both mainboard connectors seem to be ok, at least without load. If I press the power button, the red cpu light blinks one time and the fans connected to the hub of my case turn one or two times. That's all.
  • So I guess the power supply is ok and I have to find another mainboard?
Cheers,
Peter
Based on this I would recommend opening a support ticket on Gigabyte's website and describing both (a) the problem and (b) the troubleshooting steps you've taken thus far. Their technicians might have some undocumented procedures for dealing with this kind of problem -- or they might provide additional guidelines and options.

After you have exhausted this route -- and it appears that the board is not salvageable -- then it would be time to look for another. Of course, depending on urgency, you could always search for a replacement board, whether new or used, at any time.

Based on this I would recommend opening a support ticket on Gigabyte's website and describing both (a) the problem and (b) the troubleshooting steps you've taken thus far. Their technicians might have some undocumented procedures for dealing with this kind of problem -- or they might provide additional guidelines and options.

After you have exhausted this route -- and it appears that the board is not salvageable -- then it would be time to look for another. Of course, depending on urgency, you could always search for a replacement board, whether new or used, at any time.
Hi @CaseySJ,

that's exactly what I have done in the meantime: opening a support ticket (7 - 10 business days) AND buying a used replacement board because of urgency...

Many thanks for your input.
Peter

I’m looking at a new build, audio focussed. So I want horsepower (10900k), good networking and full Thunderbolt implementation. My z370-I/8700k has been good but I’m going away from multi booting to dedicated machines for macos/Linux/windows.

Z490 Vision D is sold out, but I can get asRock z490 phantom itx.
No need for itx, I hate my evolv shift, but it seems well supported, and non-cnvi.
I don’t really see the need for z590, aside from increasing availability.

I did notice the asRock Z490 AQUA, which is available cheaper now than when it was released. 2 port JHL7540, Aquantia 10Gbit ethernet, RTL8125 2.5Gbit. All supported in recent macos, and by the community on other boards. I emailed to find out if the wifi is cnvi unlocked as on other asrock boards, as it ships with an ax201 cnvi/crf module, and they must be very low on pcie lanes.

Do you think I could get the thunderbolt and aquantia 10Gb working on this board @CaseySJ ?
Are the custom firmwares specific to each board, or can I flash an existing one?

Z490 Vision D is sold out
The Z490 Vision G is still widely available. A thunderbolt add in card will give you most everything the D has and at a lower price. Asrock is not the best choice if you want thunderbolt to work without issues.

Amazon.com has 161 new Vision G boards in stock today.
Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 6.48.05 PM.png

Gigabyte Titan Ridge cards are also available.

Last edited:
The Z490 Vision G is still widely available. A thunderbolt add in card will give you most everything the D has and at a lower price. Asrock is not the best choice if you want thunderbolt to work without issues.

Amazon.com has 161 new Vision G boards in stock today.

Gigabyte Titan Ridge cards are also available.

Can you elaborate a little on why asrock are a poor choice? I understood the phantom itx/tb3 is one of the boards with good support for the jhl7540, and even a flashable firmware to fix Issues for example with antelope devices.

Can you elaborate a little on why asrock are a poor choice?
I've never owned one but what others have said is poor ACPI implementation among other things. I think CaseySJ himself tried hacking one but gave up on it eventually. You could search his Z390 golden build or this one to learn more.

Back