Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello CaseySJ!
Will it be possible to connect an 2012 iMac as target display monitor with thunderbolt adapter?

Many thanks!
Have you seen this from Apple's website?

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 3.05.44 PM.png

If the target iMac meets the requirements above, then we could see if a Hackintosh with flashed Thunderbolt firmware can work. I'm not sure if we tried this before, but my suspicion is that it probably won't work.

A non-flashed Thunderbolt controller will certainly not work.

Does anyone know where i can get the GC-Titan Ridge v1.0 original firmware?
Attached is original NVM 23 for GC-Titan Ridge v1.0.

Attachments

• GC-Titan-Ridge-1.bin.zip
    265.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi! still no advances here. What can I try?
Let's start from the beginning:
  • Are you running Catalina?
  • Are you currently using OpenCore 0.7.0 for Intel Wireless?
  • Are you trying to update to OpenCore 0.7.3 Intel Wireless version?
  • Are you using HackinDROM App to perform the update?
  • What problem are you experiencing?
  • Have you enabled Verbose mode by pressing and releasing CMD-V at OpenCore Picker before booting macOS?

Have you seen this from Apple's website?

View attachment 527803

If the target iMac meets the requirements above, then we could see if a Hackintosh with flashed Thunderbolt firmware can work. I'm not sure if we tried this before, but my suspicion is that it probably won't work.

A non-flashed Thunderbolt controller will certainly not work.
Oh. Well I may give it a try.
Will investigate about flashing the Thunderbolt firmaware.
Will let you know if.
Many thanks!

What is the preferred procedure for installing two GPUs, an NVidia GTX 1070Ti for Windows Gaming and an AMD Radeon RX580 for macOS Big Sur using a Dual Boot on separate SSDs System? Which PCI slots to use in preference and is any specific configuration required for OpenCore to disable the NVidia GPU?

I haven’t found a specific answer yet so apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

Thanks

@CaseySJ has kindly supplied SSDTs to disable slot 1 or 2 in THIS thread, in post 1. Add one or the other SSDTs, depending on which slot you put the 1070ti in, to Opencore and enable it in your config.plist file.

Two suggestions:
  1. If you are using OpenCore 0.7.2, try disabling AppleVTD by following the procedure in this post.
  2. If that alone does not help, the extreme option is to flash the Thunderbolt controller or use a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge add-in-card and flash its firmware.
    • It's much easier to flash the firmware of GC-Titan Ridge than that of motherboard.
Do not do option 2 at this time. Just try option 1.
I tried option 1 and updated OpenCore 0.7.2 using HackinDROM.
Activate, disabling, re-activate AppleVTD as described in the posts in OpenCore Configurator and BIOS.
The problem persists. :cry:
I ordered GIGABYTE GC-Titan Ridge 2.0 because I need to get this hardware up and running fast

Last edited:
We can always enable Verbose mode at the OpenCore Picker by pressing and releasing CMD-V before making a boot selection. That might indicate the cause of the problem.
Hi CaseySJ,

I tried to make my homework and followed the "OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI for Z490 Vision D guide", downloaded the IntelWireless files, and made the described changes to the AMD config.plist. This IntelWireless EFI does not boot on my computer (whereas the normal EFI 0.7.2 does), I have attached a part of the log file.

In contrast to version OC-0.7.2 the OC-0.7.1 IntelWireless EFI does boot. Intel WLAN and Bluetooth are running much better compared to the Fenvi card solution (WLAN 2x faster, Bluetooth mouse and ear phones without stuttering). Unfortunately, Airport ist not working although in the system diagnosis it is shown as running and a channel is given.

The difference I have seen in the log files of both versions, is:
0.7.1: AAPL: [EB|#SB:HW] j137ap\0
0.7.2: AAPL: [EB|#SB:HW] x86legacyap\0

There are no x86legacy files in the corresponding "System\\Library\\PrelinkedKernels" directory.
  • Why is oc-0.7.2 looking for x86legacyap files?
  • Should Airport work or not with the latest IntelWireless files?
  • Should the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse work during the boot selection (I sometimes have to boot Windows and do not want to use a cable mouse just for selecting the right disk)?
Your help is much appreciated,
Thanks
Peter

Attachments

• OC-0.7.2-IntelWireless.txt
    179.5 KB · Views: 31
Hi CaseySJ,

I tried to make my homework and followed the "OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI for Z490 Vision D guide", downloaded the IntelWireless files, and made the described changes to the AMD config.plist. This IntelWireless EFI does not boot on my computer (whereas the normal EFI 0.7.2 does), I have attached a part of the log file.

In contrast to version OC-0.7.2 the OC-0.7.1 IntelWireless EFI does boot. Intel WLAN and Bluetooth are running much better compared to the Fenvi card solution (WLAN 2x faster, Bluetooth mouse and ear phones without stuttering). Unfortunately, Airport ist not working although in the system diagnosis it is shown as running and a channel is given.

The difference I have seen in the log files of both versions, is:
0.7.1: AAPL: [EB|#SB:HW] j137ap\0
0.7.2: AAPL: [EB|#SB:HW] x86legacyap\0

There are no x86legacy files in the corresponding "System\\Library\\PrelinkedKernels" directory.
  • Why is oc-0.7.2 looking for x86legacyap files?
  • Should Airport work or not with the latest IntelWireless files?
  • Should the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse work during the boot selection (I sometimes have to boot Windows and do not want to use a cable mouse just for selecting the right disk)?
Your help is much appreciated,
Thanks
Peter
I just did the following:
  • Powered down my Z490 Vision D, flipped power switch on PSU to OFF, removed Fenvi FV-T919, then powered the system back up.
  • Downloaded EFI for OpenCore 0.7.2 Intel Wireless from this thread.
  • Copied my serial numbers into PlatformInfo and copied the entire EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk.
  • Booted from USB flash disk.
  • No problem.
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 3.59.30 PM.png

Suggestions:
  1. Try doing what I did above.
  2. If you've already done that, try either or both:
    • Reset NVRAM from OpenCore Picker (press spacebar and select Reset NVRAM)
    • CMOS Reset, then configure BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)
  3. Try downloading latest AirportItlwm for Catalina, renaming it to AirportItlwm-Catalina.kext and replacing the existing one in OC/Kexts folder.

Last edited:
I just did the following:
Suggestions:
  1. Try doing what I did above.
  2. If you've already done that, try either or both:
    • Reset NVRAM from OpenCore Picker (press spacebar and select Reset NVRAM)
    • CMOS Reset, then configure BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)
  3. Try downloading latest AirportItlwm for Catalina, renaming it to AirportItlwm-Catalina.kext and replacing the existing one in OC/Kextsfolder.
Thanks again, I have followed your suggestions but the boot problem remained.
I may have found the problem from the opencore change list 0.7.1 -> 0.7.2:
  • Misc > Security > SecureBootModel (String): new value added (x86legacy), this is the recommended value for Monterey on Macs and Hacks without a T2 chip for better security and compatibility. Previously, the recommended value was Default, equivalent to j137 (iMacPro1,1, December 2017, minimum macOS 10.3.2), this value must be used in macOS 10.15 and earlier. j137 does not work with Monterey.
x86legacy seems not to work on Catalina because the corresponding files are not there. I changed the value of SecureBootModel to j137 and voila it boots normally and WLAN and Bluetooth are working.

Two questions:
  1. Should AirDrop work on IntelWireless Catalina? Mine is not working...I think I need to switch from channel 149 to 44 (Germany). Do you know how to do that?
  2. Is it correct that the wireless keyboard or mouse cannot work during the bios / boot process because first all the wireless drivers have to be loaded?

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-27 um 12.27.43.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-27 um 12.27.43.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks again, I have followed your suggestions but the boot problem remained.
I may have found the problem from the opencore change list 0.7.1 -> 0.7.2:
  • Misc > Security > SecureBootModel (String): new value added (x86legacy), this is the recommended value for Monterey on Macs and Hacks without a T2 chip for better security and compatibility. Previously, the recommended value was Default, equivalent to j137 (iMacPro1,1, December 2017, minimum macOS 10.3.2), this value must be used in macOS 10.15 and earlier. j137 does not work with Monterey.
x86legacy seems not to work on Catalina because the corresponding files are not there. I changed the value of SecureBootModel to j137 and voila it boots normally and WLAN and Bluetooth are working.

Two questions:
  1. Should AirDrop work on IntelWireless Catalina? Mine is not working...I think I need to switch from channel 149 to 44 (Germany). Do you know how to do that?
  2. Is it correct that the wireless keyboard or mouse cannot work during the bios / boot process because first all the wireless drivers have to be loaded?

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll add an appropriate note to the 0.7.2 mini-guide.

Back