Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello everyone! First of all, thank you all because this setup works like a charm with Catalina, but I want to upgrade to Big Sur now. I'm currently doing dual boot with windows. I have Catalina in my main M.2 and Windows in the one in the middle. In order for me not to mess with the boot, shall I remove the Windows drive or can I just update as is?
It’s not necessary to remove the Windows NVMe SSD. However, we should make a full backup of Catalina before doing the in-place upgrade to Big Sur.

Hi! I have a problem. My setup was working fine but after trying to instal a 4TB Sabrent Pcie nvme SSD my system doesn't boot on MacOS. It sill boot on Windows perfectly .

I get this error message

"Your computer restarted because of a problem!".​

I tried resetting CMOS, Reset NVRAM, and Flash with F20 (it came with this version). But it restarts all the time.
I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue but I can't find any solution so far.

Is there something I need to delete in EFI of the drive? I'm not sure. I tried unplugging all drives except one.

Thanks you in advance!

OC is 7.2, with Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz 64GB and PULSE 580X.

My GPU stopped working also when that happened but still turn on.
Is this happening on your Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming system?

Is the Sabrent 4TB disk going to be used as a data disk (no operating system on it) or as a macOS main disk (with macOS on it)?

What do you mean by "incorrect".
We do need to have a SN not recognized by Apple ;-)
A little confused. I thought the idea was to find a SN that is legit but not registered to get iCloud working? Or am I wrong, you need to generate an incorrect none apple SN of a none existing mac?

A little confused. I thought the idea was to find a SN that is legit but not registered to get iCloud working? Or am I wrong, you need to generate an incorrect none apple SN of a none existing mac?
correct, do not use a valid serial number

Can you change the SN on an already built system, or is it best to create a new system drive with new config and migrate stuff over? As well as the SMBIOS system type?

Can you change the SN on an already built system, or is it best to create a new system drive with new config and migrate stuff over? As well as the SMBIOS system type?
We can change the serial number and any other PlatformInfo property on an already-built system. But we should do that as follows:
  • With the original PlatformInfo, log out of iCloud
    • System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Overview --> Sign Out
  • Then change PlatformInfo
  • Reboot
  • Log back in to iCloud
    • System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Overview --> Sign In

We can change the serial number and any other PlatformInfo property on an already-built system. But we should do that as follows:
  • With the original PlatformInfo, log out of iCloud
    • System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Overview --> Sign Out
  • Then change PlatformInfo
  • Reboot
  • Log back in to iCloud
    • System Preferences --> Apple ID --> Overview --> Sign In
Casey do you know if this will affect any installed software? Will I need to unregister them and the re-register with new system?

Thanks as always.

Casey do you know if this will affect any installed software? Will I need to unregister them and the re-register with new system?

Thanks as always.
Yes, most third party software will need to be re-licensed because they are tied to system serial number and may also be tied to System UUID plus Board Serial Number.

@bazzevo,

You need to have a S/N that matches the correct syntax/format for the SMBIOS you are using that is unregistered with Apple, use the procedures in the iMessage guide to check that the S/N is valid but unregistered :-

The S/N contains elements of the MLB/Board type so when you change the SMBIOS type you must generate all new system critical ID's (S/N. ROM, MLB, SM-UUID ..etc) all these id's are checked by Apples servers when using the on-line services and if any of them are incorrect then you will not be able to use iMessage, iCloud, App Store .. etc

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
So after many hours of fussing I have finally managed to install Mojave on my Z490 D.

1. Update OpenCore too 0.6.8. (0.7.2 failed to allow the upgrade).
2. Changed SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1. New SN, ROM, MLB, SM-UUID.
3. Changed
Cpuid1Data to ED060900 00000000 00000000 00000000, and Cpuid1Mask to FFFFFFFF 00000000 00000000 00000000

Once this was all done, the install worked. Very happy with this as I have a bunch of apps no longer supported or in development, which would not run in Catalina. Plus I can still use 32Lives to wrap my old school 32bit to 64bit plugins. Amazing.

Thanks to the forum for suggestions and insight on making this work.

Back