Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Is it possible to do a clean OS install using OC 0.7.2 on a Z490 Vision D i9 10900K? Using a config setup to iMacPro1,1 , or iMac 18,3.

Is it possible to do a clean OS install using OC 0.7.2 on a Z490 Vision D i9 10900K? Using a config setup to iMacPro1,1 , or iMac 18,3.
Certainly -- both iMacPro1,1 and iMac18,3 can be used with the OC 0.7.2 EFI.

No, not iMacPro1,1.

That was my point.

You may need to experiment (while disconnected from the Internet to avoid Apple getting suspicious) because the Terminal command does not necessarily affect QuickTime directly. I'm running Mojave and iMac18,3. Many will tell me this is wrong. I disagree, everything works well and reliably. However it is possible that special use cases, such as yours, may need a different definition.

I am using only the one Terminal command you highlight, yes. This is purely because the official Whatevergreen guidance suggests this is all that is needed - and it is for me.

:)
Ahh I see. I’m using iMac20,2 on Big Sur.

Ahh I see. I’m using iMac20,2 on Big Sur.

@canyondust and @CaseySJ

Hello again. I thought I'd do some more testing here ...

Okay I have to apologise.

I swapped over from Mojave 10.14.6 to Big Sur 11.5.1.

Sadly you are correct @canyondust. I used the Terminal command to enable DRM playback and sure enough QuickTime would not save the screen recording. It would seem to record okay but gave an error when Saving:

SR.jpg

However when I set the Terminal boolean command to "no" then everything recorded as it should:

SR3.jpg

Which is really annoying. My previous post is still valid for Mojave, but ...

Hands-up, I was wrong. Clearly Big Sur causes another new issue, so not much use here.

Apologies again to both of you for cluttering the thread!

Last edited:
@canyondust and @CaseySJ

Hello again. I thought I'd do some more testing here ...

Okay I have to apologise.

I swapped over from Mojave 10.14.6 to Big Sur 11.5.1.

Sadly you are correct @canyondust. I used the Terminal command to enable DRM playback and sure enough QuickTime would not save the screen recording. It would seem to record okay but gave an error when Saving:

View attachment 527152

However when I set the Terminal boolean command to "no" then everything recorded as it should:

View attachment 527154

Which is really annoying. My previous post is still valid for Mojave, but ...

Hands-up, I was wrong. Clearly Big Sur causes another new issue, so not much use here.

Apologies again to both of you for cluttering the thread!

No apologies necessary :) More info is always better than less info, and now we have evidence that the DRM issue in Big Sur is SMBIOS agnostic (iMacPro1,1 aside)

Additional info about Z490 Vision G:
  • BIOS F20 works well (don't forget to disable "Resize BAR")
  • If you want to use iGPU for image output, you need boot flag igfxonln=1 to fix issue after display sleeps and wakes up - my display didn't wake up without this boot arg. I mean only display sleep, not system sleep.

Certainly -- both iMacPro1,1 and iMac18,3 can be used with the OC 0.7.2 EFI.
If you change the SMBIOS to another mac, can you keep the same serial number? I have been trying to find a serial that works, but it says incorrect.

Hi! I have a problem. My setup was working fine but after trying to instal a 4TB Sabrent Pcie nvme SSD my system doesn't boot on MacOS. It sill boot on Windows perfectly .

I get this error message

"Your computer restarted because of a problem!".​

I tried resetting CMOS, Reset NVRAM, and Flash with F20 (it came with this version). But it restarts all the time.
I'm thinking it might be a power supply issue but I can't find any solution so far.

Is there something I need to delete in EFI of the drive? I'm not sure. I tried unplugging all drives except one.

Thanks you in advance!

OC is 7.2, with Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz 64GB and PULSE 580X.

My GPU stopped working also when that happened but still turn on.

Attachments

• tempImage5B408b.png
    tempImage5B408b.png
    12.7 MB · Views: 52
Hello everyone! First of all, thank you all because this setup works like a charm with Catalina, but I want to upgrade to Big Sur now. I'm currently doing dual boot with windows. I have Catalina in my main M.2 and Windows in the one in the middle. In order for me not to mess with the boot, shall I remove the Windows drive or can I just update as is?

Back