Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Do you have any idea why might be the cause of my Z490 System hanging on the Gigabyte Splash Screen? It always works eventually after one or more Resets/Reboots but never first time every time! Really frustrating for such a great build!
Hello @jimbojingle,

Let's start from the beginning on this issue. Some basics first:
  • Which version of BIOS is installed on your Z490 Vision D?
  • Is the Thunderbolt firmware flashed?
  • What is the make/model of your GPU?
  • What is the make/model of your monitor?
  • Which video connector are you using? HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI?
  • What other PCIe cards are installed?
    • Fenvi WiFi/BT?
    • Anything else?
  • What devices are connected to the internal USB 2.0 headers?
    • Fenvi Bluetooth?
    • Anything else?
  • What Thunderbolt devices are connected to the system?
  • What are the makes/models of all NVMe SSDs in your system?
  • In BIOS, is CSM Support enabled or disabled?
  • In BIOS, is Thunderbolt Boot Support enabled? If so, what is it set to? Boot Once? Boot ACL?
  • Have you already tried re-flashing the BIOS?
  • Have you already tried CMOS Reset?

Thanks for the Hackindrom update which won't affect me then.
Regarding fakePCIID. I guess I'm better off just using the existing method? It's working fine.
Yes it's okay to use the existing method. In Monterey, however, we disable FakePCIID and use boot-arg dk.e1000=0.

Hey guys,

If anyone looking for upgrading to AMD 6000 series GPU, I just got mine today (Sapphire Pulse 6800XT), it worked with this build out of the box. I didn't need to change anything at all. (Used AMD config with 5500XT previously). Sleep works, HDR works. DRM with AMD KE works.

I'm using 0.7.1, and Big Sur 11.5.1. I didn't find much information online about if this particular GPU has any issues or not, so thought I should post it here. I haven't find any issues so far. Let me know if anyone has any question.

Cheers.

Some additional suggestions:
  • As good as the Pomona is, the cheap run-of-the-mill chip is sometimes more effective.
  • But let's keep working with the Pomona for the time being, as follows:
    • Flip the power switch on PSU to ON, but do not power on the motherboard.
    • Disconnect Vcc (pin 8) from the Pomona.
    • Connect the Pomona clip to Winbond chip.
    • Try reading.
  • If not successful:
    • Flip power switch on PSU back to OFF.
    • Reconnect Vcc (pin 8) to the Pomona.
    • Connect Pomona clip to Winbond chip.
    • Try reading.
    • If not successful, slightly and gently nudge the clip so it makes slightly less contactwith pin 8 on the Winbond chip, but makes good contact with other pins.
      • Yes this means nudging the clip so it's a little diagonal or slanted.
    • On the Designare Z390 we use a visual indication to determine when the "nudge" is just right:
      • The Designare Z390 has a row of LEDs on one side.
      • These LEDs glow bright yellow when Pin 8 on Winbond chip makes full contact (i.e. we are back-powering those LEDs).
      • By nudging the clip so that it makes less contact with Pin 8 on Winbond, those LEDs glow dim red instead of bright yellow.
      • That dim red is our sign that the nudge is correct.
    • We need to do something like that on the Z490 Vision D...

And the crowd goes WILD @CaseySJ!!!

We have a successfully flashed the thunderbolt chip! I can now hot plug and see the eGPU icon on my mac. Everything appears to show as it should under system info as well. Thanks so much for you assistance and patience with getting me through this hurdle! I really wish buying you a beer wasn't against the rules... You'd have a few cases from me at this point for sure.

Not sure exactly what fixed the issue, but I did the supplemental procedure of disconnecting pin8. It didn't work the first time so I shut the power down and made sure the clip was pushed all the way down and perfectly level and whahah. Try number two. FLASHED! Im pretty excited if you couldn't tell ;)

** HackinDROM 1.5.0 Released **
Credit: @Inqnuam
  • Can be used to upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.2 safely
  • Catalina and Mojave users will need to manually set APFS MinDate and MinVersion to -1 after the update is done
  • OpenCore 0.7.2 Mini-Guide has been updated

And the crowd goes WILD @CaseySJ!!!

We have a successfully flashed the thunderbolt chip! I can now hot plug and see the eGPU icon on my mac. Everything appears to show as it should under system info as well. Thanks so much for you assistance and patience with getting me through this hurdle! I really wish buying you a beer wasn't against the rules... You'd have a few cases from me at this point for sure.

Not sure exactly what fixed the issue, but I did the supplemental procedure of disconnecting pin8. It didn't work the first time so I shut the power down and made sure the clip was pushed all the way down and perfectly level and whahah. Try number two. FLASHED! Im pretty excited if you couldn't tell ;)
Welcome to the Society of Mad Scientists! You've earned this distinguished(?) honor. :clap:

Good question.
  • Some Thunderbolt devices (mainly docks, but can be other device types as well) can connect via either Thunderbolt or USB 3.x.
Confused? Let's look into this a little more...
  • We are familiar with the USB-C physical port. This port supports:
    • Thunderbolt protocol
    • USB 3.x protocol
    • USB 2.x/1.x protocol
    • DisplayPort protocol
  • But not all USB-C ports support all of these protocols.
  • If the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it, then of course it supports Thunderbolt
    • Thunderbolt, by definition, also supports DisplayPort
    • So a lightning logo means that the USB-C port supports all 4 of the protocols above
  • A USB-C port withouta lightning logo can support:
    • USB 3.x
    • USB 2.x/1.x
    • DisplayPort (but only if the manufacturer chooses to support DisplayPort)
With that out of the way...
  • We normally think that a Thunderbolt device connected to a USB-C port will only work if the USB-C port has a lightning logo next to it. And we would normally be right.
  • But with Titan Ridge, Intel provided a new feature that allows a manufacturer to let their Thunderbolt device connect to a USB-C port that does not have a lightning logo.
  • In other words, the Thunderbolt device can masquerade as a normal USB 3.x device and connect to the USB 3.x protocol on a standard USB-C port.
  • This is called USB-C Alt Mode.
My Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro, for example, is a Thunderbolt device that supports USB-C Alt Mode. When I connect it to a USB-C port with a lightning logo, it connects over Thunderbolt and operates at the full blistering speed of 40 Gbps (theoretical max).

But when I connect that dock to a standard USB-C port (without lightning logo) it still connects and works, but does so over USB 3.x and operates at whatever max speed that port allows (either 5Gbps, 10Gbps, or 20Gbps for USB 3.2 Gen 2x2). These are much slower speeds, but at least the dock works.
Yep.

Usb-c alt mode was an important addition for thunderbolt because with older controllers like Alpine Ridge, if you connected say an nvme thunderbolt drive to a non-thunderbolt usb-c port, the device wouldn’t work. Imagine taking your nvme thunderbolt drive with you on vacation with gigabytes of data, such as music or games, only to find out you can’t access it because the computer (in the vacation location) doesn’t have a thunderbolt port. So the drive can plug in to the usb-c port, but cannot connect. Confusing!

Luckily Intel saw how limiting and confusing this was, and designed thunderbolt controllers as of Titan ridge and later to operate in usb-c alt mode. Albeit at a slower speed. But even 5 gbps is much better than 0gbps, lol.

I like that idea! T-shirts with the CaseySJ logo and they should say something like:
'Everything works on my Mac (Hack)......!

Or, on the t-shirt, "Everything works on my Mac" and at the bottom of the CaseySJ logo, below the Everything works....a small jpg of an obvioius PC computer (so others get the idea, but with a bit of subtlety), and see how many get it....

Last edited:
I like that idea! T-shirts with the CaseySJ logo and they should say something like:
'Everything works on my Mac (Hack)......!

Or, on the t-shirt, "Everything works on my Mac" and at the bottom of the CaseySJ logo, below the Everything works....a small jpg of an obvioius PC computer (so others get the idea, but with a bit of subtlety), and see how many get it....
Was the old Mac slogan ‘it just works’?
If so, I propose ‘it just works (now)’

edit: I recant. The pc pic + everything works on my Mac is gold.

Last edited:
Back