Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi, I have just updated to OpenCore 0.7.2 on both my Catalina NVMe and my Big Sur SSD but my Catalina NVMe is no longer visible on the OC Boot Screen on boot up, just the Big Sur SSD. I have performed an NVRAM reset etc. The Catalina Disk is visible as a drive when I boot Big Sur.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Also, ever since I built my Z490 Vision D System last year, I get a very regular hang on the Gigabyte Splash Screen and I have to Reset/Power Off and Reboot several times before it successfully completes boot and displays the OC Boot menu. I notice that the LED Display on the Motherboard displays 98 when it hangs on the Splash Screen and 64 when it boots successfully. I have never got to the bottom of this problem and would dearly like to do so.
Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 11.01.01.png

Screenshot 2021-08-05 at 15.40.12.png

Again, any ideas what might be causing this long term issue?

Thanks

Hi, I have just updated to OpenCore 0.7.2 on both my Catalina NVMe and my Big Sur SSD but my Catalina NVMe is no longer visible on the OC Boot Screen on boot up, just the Big Sur SSD. I have performed an NVRAM reset etc. The Catalina Disk is visible as a drive when I boot Big Sur.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Also, ever since I built my Z490 Vision D System last year, I get a very regular hang on the Gigabyte Splash Screen and I have to Reset/Power Off and Reboot several times before it successfully completes boot and displays the OC Boot menu. I notice that the LED Display on the Motherboard displays 98 when it hangs on the Splash Screen and 64 when it boots successfully. I have never got to the bottom of this problem and would dearly like to do so.
View attachment 526314
View attachment 526315

Again, any ideas what might be causing this long term issue?

Thanks
Please check if APFS Min Date & Min Version are set to 0 or -1 in APFS section of config.plist. This can be done with OpenCore Configurator. Both Min Date and Min Version should be -1.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.18.12 AM.png

Last edited:
@tango76,

I also struggled to get hold of a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Motherboard relatively recently.

Eventually I went with Gigabyte Z490 Vision G ... which is fully supported by the guide in post #1.
With a bit of searching you may find somewhere that has them still in stock.

It’s a great motherboard, and, if you need TB3, you can go the add in PCIe card route which is far easer to flash than the on board TB3.

Cheers
Jay
Is there a guide or anything for Z490 Vision G + Thunderbolt add-in-card?

I've been looking/asking for awhile but haven't found one. Today I decided to just install the add-in-card and see what happens and it doesn't work, which doesn't surprise me. I plugged in an external drive, tested on a real Mac to be sure, with my Hackintosh powered off (as in I did not hotplug) but it doesn't appear. My Z490 Vision G is setup using this thread and I had some hope it would just work but I was not really expecting it to.

I did find a generic Thunderbolt 3 guide on another Hackintosh site that mentions the Titan Ridge 2.0 add-in-card but I wasn't sure if it was a good guide for my motherboard specifically.

Is there a guide or anything for Z490 Vision G + Thunderbolt add-in-card?

I've been looking/asking for awhile but haven't found one. Today I decided to just install the add-in-card and see what happens and it doesn't work, which doesn't surprise me. I plugged in an external drive, tested on a real Mac to be sure, with my Hackintosh powered off (as in I did not hotplug) but it doesn't appear. My Z490 Vision G is setup using this thread and I had some hope it would just work but I was not really expecting it to.

I did find a generic Thunderbolt 3 guide on another Hackintosh site that mentions the Titan Ridge 2.0 add-in-card but I wasn't sure if it was a good guide for my motherboard specifically.
If you connect a Thunderbolt device to the GC-Titan Ridge before booting macOS, it should work. But Thunderbolt hot plug will only work after we install a special Thunderbolt SSDT.

We can provide the SSDT to you do the following:
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and type Thunderbolt in the "Search" field at the top right of the window.
  • Then click the little "x" on the right side of the search bar.
  • Post screenshot.
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 11.54.41 AM.png

Hi Casey. For some reason, when I wake up in the morning my Mac has no display because the TV was off but when turned on it does not show any display. I don't turn my Mac off and have it set as attached. I have to reboot it to get display again. Using an LG 65inch OLED as display.
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 7.21.57 AM.png

Hi Casey. For some reason, when I wake up in the morning my Mac has no display because the TV was off but when turned on it does not show any display. I don't turn my Mac off and have it set as attached. I have to reboot it to get display again. Using an LG 65inch OLED as display.
View attachment 526344
Easy solution: Turn off the Mac and save the environment! :)

P.S. Keeping a computer turned on 24x7 (because you've disabled sleep) is like keeping an old-style lightbulb powered on 24x7. In this day and age I cannot condone such behavior. In general we should turn off everything that is not in use.

Last edited:
If you connect a Thunderbolt device to the GC-Titan Ridge before booting macOS, it should work. But Thunderbolt hot plug will only work after we install a special Thunderbolt SSDT.

We can provide the SSDT to you do the following:
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and type Thunderbolt in the "Search" field at the top right of the window.
  • Then click the little "x" on the right side of the search bar.
  • Post screenshot.
Yes to be sure, I did not hotplug, each attempt I connected the drive when the Hackintosh was completely powered off.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 3.57.48 PM.png

If I did a quick Windows install onto a new disk with my macOS disk removed, could that have any negative effects on my macOS? I remember reading about certain drivers writing firmware to devices or something like that. I can connect a different drive and do a Windows installation as another test of the Thunderbolt AIC.

Last edited:
I have the Z490 UD, I want to fully enable AppleVTD. Just to confirm, I can follow the guide to enable AppleVTD, by simply substituting the Vision D SSDT-DMAR.aml by going to MACiASL, removing the "Reserved Memory Region" in my own SSDT-DMAR correct? Thanks!

Yes to be sure, I did not hotplug, each attempt I connected the drive when the Hackintosh was completely powered off.
Some questions:
  • Have you connected the GC-Titan Ridge to the Thunderbolt header on your Z490 Vision G? This header is labeled THB_C on the motherboard.
  • If so, you should see some Thunderbolt options in BIOS Setup. We should set the following:
    • Thunderbolt Support --> Enabled
    • Thunderbolt Security --> No Security
    • GPIO3 Force Power --> Enabled

If I did a quick Windows install onto a new disk with my macOS disk removed, could that have any negative effects on my macOS? I remember reading about certain drivers writing firmware to devices or something like that. I can connect a different drive and do a Windows installation as another test of the Thunderbolt AIC.

Fortunately Windows does not really interfere with Thunderbolt on macOS.

The IOReg screenshot shows that Thunderbolt is attached to RP05, which is fairly common. To generate the hot plug SSDT, please click here to visit the HackinDROM website, then follow the 5 easy steps shown:

HackinDROM-GC-TR.png

When the SSDT is downloaded (to your Downloads folder), copy it to the ACPI folder in your OpenCore directory (EFI/OC/ACPI).

Then open config.plist in OpenCore Configurator and add an entry for the Thunderbolt SSDT in the ACPI section (where all other SSDTs are listed).

And lastly, download the attached SSDT-DTPG.aml and do the same, namely:
  • Copy file to EFI/OC/ACPI folder
  • Add a reference to it in config.plist --> ACPI section
Reboot. If problems persist, please let us know.

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 52
I have the Z490 UD, I want to fully enable AppleVTD. Just to confirm, I can follow the guide to enable AppleVTD, by simply substituting the Vision D SSDT-DMAR.aml by going to MACiASL, removing the "Reserved Memory Region" in my own SSDT-DMAR correct? Thanks!
Yes correct. The other steps are:
  • Enable VT-d in BIOS.
  • Uncheck DisableIoMapper in config.plist --> Kernel --> Quirks.
  • If you have the boot-argument dart=0, remove that.

Back