Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Thanks for such a detailed response @CaseySJ. Seems like I’m in for quite the party this weekend :)

I truly hope Solar Radiation does not jack me... I amazingly listened to a podcast on this very subject on NPR recently... No Joke.
:)

The link to the location of the chip on pg1 shows a Designare z390 w/ the Thunderbolt chip being on the back of the board. While I have not yet pulled the board out of the case, I think it's safe to say I’m going to need to. Can you confirm I’m looking at the right place for the Z490 Vision D. The schematic provided by Gigabyte is somewhat deceiving and appears that its on top of the motherboard... The Image on the right is where I actually believe it to be.
Correct -- it's at nearly the same location on the Z490 Vision D.

Just a short note to say Thank You for the 0.7.2 EFI. I, of course, used the debug version of 0.7.2, but your EFI was a great guide. (And, for a long time, I already have had VT-d enabled.....oops....).

And, on my new 6800 XT, the HDMI audio was not working until implementing this new EFI. Nice!

@tango76,

I also struggled to get hold of a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Motherboard relatively recently.

Eventually I went with Gigabyte Z490 Vision G ... which is fully supported by the guide in post #1.
With a bit of searching you may find somewhere that has them still in stock.

It’s a great motherboard, and, if you need TB3, you can go the add in PCIe card route which is far easer to flash than the on board TB3.

Cheers
Jay
And what is the difference Related to Thunderbolt performance between the two options? Because I’m planning to go the Vision’s G route plus Titan Ridge card just because it seems easier. I still have the possibility to get Vision D and G.
Thanks everyone for your help and work to all of us.

Last edited:
@tonben
I saw your 192KHz comments but I have a Vision D with i9-10850K and an Apollo Twin. I'm getting pops and clicks at 96KHz with a 64 buffer, a 128 buffer and 256 buffer, etc.
I never had this with my i7-7700K hackintosh. What am I missing?
In the UAD groups they said I should turn a few things off in the bios (Windows users) but those weren't in any of the guides here and froze me when geek bench testing.
It was also suggested to me to overclock to prevent throttling.

My UAD is up to date. My Catalina is 10.15.6. BIOS F5

The main reason I built this system was to run more at 96KHz at a low low buffer.
Did you ever manage to get this figured out? I have been having the same issues ay 96KHz.

I have the same GPU, but still haven’t opened the box! Anyway, it’s okay to install in slot 2 if absolutely necessary.

Some older versions of BIOS might not work with the RX 6800 XT. Start with the latest BIOS (disable Resizeable BAR) and iterate backwards from there if problems occur.

Yes mostly the same. Disable Resizeable BAR. But search this forum.

They are all supported.

Search this forum. Use keyword 10GbE and/or Aquantia. An Aquantia kernel patch may be needed. The patch is already in the Z490 Vision D EFI folder in this thread. It can be copied to your Z590 config.plist.
I tried to change BIOS settings today. A few settings are not matching with the Z490 board.

Then I came across something strange.
Thunderbolt current security level: Unknown status.

As always thanks for the great help.

Attachments

• 20210805_143830.jpg
    20210805_143830.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 51
  • 20210805_140307.jpg
    20210805_140307.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20210805_143818.jpg
    20210805_143818.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 50
And what is the difference Related to thunderbolt performance between the two options?because I’m planning to go the vision’s g route plus Titan ridge card just because it seems easier….

@sardino,

There is no performance difference between onboard TB3 and a PCIe TB3 add-in card when comparing TB3 generations like for like. EG: Built-in Titan Ridge will perform the same as add on Titan Ridge.

Cheers
Jay

I think a viable option is Gigabyte Z590 Vision D with Comet Lake CPU. There is already a pre-built OpenCore EFI folder for this in the HackinDROM App. @CODYQX4 and @dehjomz are both using this board.

However, the on-board Thunderbolt 4 (Maple Ridge) controller is giving us some problems with hot-plug. If you connect and power up Thunderbolt devices before booting macOS, then you should be okay. There may be a workaround for hot-plug -- namely:
  • Hot plug a device while macOS is running
  • Put the system to sleep
  • Wake up the system
  • Now the device should be connected
Thanks for the reply. Adding TB3 via a PCI card is not an issue, if the hot plug problem was never to be solved. Apart from this, has the Z590 proven as stable (when used with Comet Lake) in a hack as the Z490 was considered?
@tango76,

I also struggled to get hold of a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Motherboard relatively recently.

Eventually I went with Gigabyte Z490 Vision G ... which is fully supported by the guide in post #1.
With a bit of searching you may find somewhere that has them still in stock.

It’s a great motherboard, and, if you need TB3, you can go the add in PCIe card route which is far easer to flash than the on board TB3.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks! I'll look into the Vision G.

Thanks. It looks like they will only deliver to Australia though? I am in the US.

Both Newegg and Amazon list the Z490 Vision G as in stock (just checked).

Back