Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi CaseySJ,

I enabled AppleVTD a while a go and its working fine on my 490 Vision G using the methods detailed earlier in the thread, no issues with memory or network devices.

However i'm wondering if injecting SSDT-DMAR with the Reserved Memory Regions removed is going to cause issues when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore ?

As you know with most SSDT's we can create a _STA method to check for "Darwin" and return a status flag accordingly (eg: SSDT-DMAC), however as SSDT-DMAR is a memory mapping table as opposed to a device or method based table we can't use the _STA solution.

For now i'm booting Windows 10 (on the very rare occasions i have to) via F12 - boot device override and booting Windows via the Microsoft Boot Manager. It's quite possible that the modified SSDT-DMAR table wont cause issues with Windows 10 but i have not tried it yet.

Just wondering if you or anyone else has considered this and if so found a work around ?
I've tried trawling the internet to see if i can find an answer but so far nothing ....

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay,

Good question. Although I've used Windows successfully with the modified DMAR (Direct Memory Address Remap) table, I've not encountered any issues. But I am not using Thunderbolt audio interfaces or any other particularly complex device.

One anecdotal piece of evidence is this:
  • Many of us who modified our DMAR tables run dual boot systems (Window and macOS).
  • So far no one has reported any issue in Windows...so far.
I am planning to include the modified DMAR table with the release of OpenCore 0.7.2.

Hi Jay,

Good question. Although I've used Windows successfully with the modified DMAR (Direct Memory Address Remap) table, I've not encountered any issues. But I am not using Thunderbolt audio interfaces or any other particularly complex device.

• Many of us who modified our DMAR tables run dual boot systems (Window and macOS).
I am planning to include the modified DMAR table with the release of OpenCore 0.7.2.
For the sake of providing info: I have modified my DMAR table but I do not boot windows through Opencore… and as such my silence should not imply ‘no issues reported’ :) Maybe by coincidence others with modified DMAR tables are doing the same, and mitigating the discovery of possible issues?

maybe users with modified DMAR tables AND booting alternate OSes can chime in on windows stability?

@CaseySJ,

Thanks for confirming that you and other users haven't seen an issue with the modified DMAR table when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore.

I figured as much but thought i'd ask the question ...

I still don't really understand why the OpenCore dev team can't just add a simple flag that stops OC from injecting custom ACPI tables for OS's other than MacOS ... it would make things much simpler for most users and take away any uncertainty with ACPI code that can not use the _STA solution.

The question/suggestion has been asked multiple times over the last few years on the Acidanthera Bug Tracker ... and every time it gets rejected ... I believe that one reason they gave was to do with boot camp drivers.

I think the current AppleVTD enabling method works well as long as it's properly implemented (looking at you DMAR) so makes sense to include it in the next EFI release.

Keep up the great work ...

Cheers
Jay

@CaseySJ,

Thanks for confirming that you and other users haven't seen an issue with the modified DMAR table when booting Windows 10 via OpenCore.

I figured as much but thought i'd ask the question ...

I still don't really understand why the OpenCore dev team can't just add a simple flag that stops OC from injecting custom ACPI tables for OS's other than MacOS ... it would make things much simpler for most users and take away any uncertainty with ACPI code that can not use the _STA solution.

The question/suggestion has been asked multiple times over the last few years on the Acidanthera Bug Tracker ... and every time it gets rejected ... I believe that one reason they gave was to do with boot camp drivers.

I think the current AppleVTD enabling method works well as long as it's properly implemented (looking at you DMAR) so makes sense to include it in the next EFI release.

Keep up the great work ...

Cheers
Jay
I'm posting this from Windows 10 on my Z490 Vision D with custom DMAR table. About to install Windows version 21H1. No issues so far at least with respect to on-board devices (Ethernet, WiFi, USB, GPU, NVMe SSD, etc.).

Has anyone created a guide (posted instructions, anything) for adding Thunderbolt to a Vision G (NOT D) with the official Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 add-in-card?

On another site I found a general guide to enable Thunderbolt which supposedly applies to multiple cards but I don't know if it's a good guide, if it will work well with the EFI from here, etc.

** OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI for Z490 Vision D **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Update to OpenCore 0.7.2 using HackinDROM App
Available for both Broadcom WiFi/BT and OpenIntelWireless WiFi/BT

** NOTE **
Please use HackinDROM 1.5.0 or newer!
Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.2
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.6
3. AppleALC 1.6.3
4. Lilu 1.5.5
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.2

Changes to config.plist:
  • Support for AppleVTD:
    • Enabling AppleVTD allows greater number of Thunderbolt devices to connect, including (a) Antelope Audio Devices, (b) Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter, etc.
    • DisableIoMapper kernel quirk has been disabled.
    • Standard DMAR table is being deleted and replaced with modified DMAR.
  • Your Action: You can still choose to enable to disable AppleVTD as follows:
    • BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> set to Enabled to enjoy the benefits of AppleVTD
    • BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> set to Disabled to turn off AppleVTD

Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version.

For manual update purposes, the ZIP files are attached below.
  • File on left is for Broadcom WiFi/BT (4.4 MB).
  • File on right is for Intel WiFi/BT (61.1 MB).

Post-Update Procedure: Catalina users only.
  • If you're using OpenIntelWireless drivers for WiFi and BT, please change Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> j137 otherwise Catalina will not boot
  • Please make the change shown below to enable the i225-V Ethernet port (it will run at 1GbE speeds, however).
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.01.48 PM.png

• And finally, make this change as well:
Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.31.50 PM.png

Updates:
  • 2 Aug 2021: First version
  • 3 Aug 2021: Changed APFS Min Date/Version to "ANY" or "-1"

Attachments

• OC-072-VISION-D.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 253
  • OC-072-Intel-Wireless-VISION-D.zip
    61.1 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:
** OpenCore 0.7.2 EFI for Z490 Vision G, not D **
Supports Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Reminder: Disable Serial Port in BIOS --> IO Ports

Update to OpenCore 0.7.2 using HackinDROM App

** NOTE **
Please use HackinDROM 1.5.0 or newer!
Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

If making manual changes to OpenCore config.plist, please ensure that OpenCore Configurator is set to either 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version

This update includes:

1. OpenCore 0.7.2
2. VirtualSMC 1.2.6
3. AppleALC 1.6.3
4. Lilu 1.5.5
5. WhateverGreen 1.5.2

Changes to config.plist:
  • Support for AppleVTD:
    • Enabling AppleVTD allows greater number of Thunderbolt devices to connect, including (a) Antelope Audio Devices, (b) Apple Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet adapter, etc.
    • DisableIoMapper kernel quirk has been disabled.
    • Standard DMAR table is being deleted and replaced with modified DMAR.
  • Your Action:You can still choose to enable to disable AppleVTD as follows:
    • BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> set to Enabled to enjoy the benefits of AppleVTD
    • BIOS Setup --> VT-d --> set to Disabled to turn off AppleVTD
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII users must disable boot argument agdpmod=pikera. Vega users may need to do the same.

This update also includes SSDT-UIAC-VISION-G-V3.aml that limits the number of USB ports to 15 by disabling USB 2.x connections on the following ports:

USB 2.0 --> HS01 (front panel USB-C port)
USB 2.0 --> HS03 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS04 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS05 (between LAN and HDMI on rear IO panel)
USB 2.0 --> HS06 (rear IO panel USB-C port)
USB 2.0 --> HS09 (one of the two front panel Type A ports)

V3 is enabled by default, but can be disabled manually after the OpenCore update is completed. If you disable V3, be sure to enable XhciPortLimit kernel quirk.

If using OpenCore Configurator, please ensure it is set to 0.7.2 Development Version or 0.7.2 Release Version.

Post-Update Procedure: Catalina users only.

Please make the change shown below to enable the i225-V Ethernet port (it will run at 1GbE speeds, however).

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.01.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 4.31.50 PM.png

For manual update purposes, the ZIP file is attached below.

Updates:
  • 2 Aug 2021: First version.
  • 3 Aug 2021: Change APFS Min Date/Version to "ANY" or "-1".

Attachments

• EFI-072-VISION-G-NOT-D.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hi all I am about updating my EFI to 0.72 with HackinDROM wonderful Apps.
- However when launching I get a "?" regarding the version currently installed.
I quit the apps and launch it again but... same result
- In addition to that I have a message saying that I don't have enough space, although there is just the Casey EFI with one theme added in canopy (the one I love !).
It used to happened in the past as I was storing some version of past EFI but it is no longer the case.
Any Advice?
Thanks all as usual !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 07.01.26.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 07.01.26.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 81
@MacArthur - Can't say this will fix it for you, but what I do when I change EFIs and delete them is to make sure when the EFI partition is selected, I make sure to empty the trash. I have had this problem happen to me when I've changed EFIs, deleted some, and forgot to empty the trash when the EFI partition is selected.

Back