Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So I have the new Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE card. I installed the card, but I cant even get the machine to post. I have a EVGA Gold 850w power supply. I have the 2 - 8 pin power connectors and 1 - 6 pin power connector all going to the card. Each with their own wire coming from the power supply. I boot and nothing. I just sit and look at black.

Throw back in the 5700 and all boots and works as normal. Am I missing something here? What dumb mistake have I forgotten?? Please help.
  • Have you done a CMOS Reset and configured BIOS again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Some folks have stated that the latest BIOS version is necessary. If CMOS Reset does not help, please try installing newest BIOS, but keep Resizable BAR Support turned off.
    • Latest BIOS may present problems with Thunderbolt, but let's tackle one problem at a time...

• Have you done a CMOS Reset and configured BIOS again, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults)?
  • Some folks have stated that the latest BIOS version is necessary. If CMOS Reset does not help, please try installing newest BIOS, but keep Resizable BAR Support turned off.
    • Latest BIOS may present problems with Thunderbolt, but let's tackle one problem at a time...
I have not done a CMOS reset I was dreading doing all the settings again. I had some bad luck with the f20 a while back but maybe there is a newer better bios out now. I'll give both these a shot. Thanks for all your help @CaseySJ... I don't know where Id be without you on the other side of this keyboard. I have a video call in 30min so I'll have to wait till after that but will report back shortly afterwards.

I got the machine to post now. CMOS reset was all it seemed to need. With that said I have 2 old 24" LED Cinema Displays that Ive been using with a mini display connector on each. I have an adapter that turns them into regular display port. Unfortunately these monitors will not work on boot. If I plug an HDMI monitor in and then plug them in once in OSX is fully booted they work, but thats the only way I can get these displays rocking. You have any thoughts on how to salvage the old monitors? I thought maybe Id throw the 5700 back in and try running both cards, however there just isn't enough room. the 5700 will literally be on top of the 6900 fans. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. Only thing I can think of doing is going the eGPU route for the 6900 and using it for rendering only. Im open to ideas here though.

Thanks Again!

I got the machine to post now. CMOS reset was all it seemed to need. With that said I have 2 old 24" LED Cinema Displays that Ive been using with a mini display connector on each. I have an adapter that turns them into regular display port. Unfortunately these monitors will not work on boot. If I plug an HDMI monitor in and then plug them in once in OSX is fully booted they work, but thats the only way I can get these displays rocking. You have any thoughts on how to salvage the old monitors? I thought maybe Id throw the 5700 back in and try running both cards, however there just isn't enough room. the 5700 will literally be on top of the 6900 fans. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. Only thing I can think of doing is going the eGPU route for the 6900 and using it for rendering only. Im open to ideas here though.

Thanks Again!

@CaseySJ Tried updating the firmware to F20 too just incase that magically made these display ports work. No love... :(

@CaseySJ Tried updating the firmware to F20 too just incase that magically made these display ports work. No love... :(
Stay away from F20 if you can. I downgraded to F6 as I was having issues with Comet Lake and F20.

The DP issue you reported with RX 6900 XT sounds familiar. I believe others experienced and reported it in somewhere in the middle or tail end of the 6800 thread here:

Some folks tried using different DP ports. Some folks tried disabling WEG. Some folks tried switching temporarily to MacPro7,1.

Before making any changes I would encourage you to have a look at the middle to end of that thread.

Incidentally I still haven’t opened my RX 6800 XT because a special part Inwas expecting to receive has been delayed due to ongoing parts shortages and shipping delays.

@CaseySJ unfortunetly I can’t even see the BIOS on boot I think it’s a larger issue then what’s in open core. Maybe a BIOS setting? On page one it says some video cards/gpus may require CSM be turned on? When I read up on what CSM did it seemed to be for older machines. Can you think of anything try in the bios? I can’t boot strait into Linux or windows either.

I’ll take another look at the post above but I have tried most of what was read in there.

Gonna be a bummer to send the card back but I’m not sure I’m prepared to buy new monitors right now too :( such a sad Friday…

Thanks for the help!

Gonna be a bummer to send the card back but I’m not sure I’m prepared to buy new monitors right now too :( such a sad Friday…

Thanks for the help!

Don't go too fast and keep the card for the time being.
It seems there are solutions.
Wait, the Big Boss is for sure not too far away :)

So I have the new Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT SE card. I installed the card, but I cant even get the machine to post. I have a EVGA Gold 850w power supply. I have the 2 - 8 pin power connectors and 1 - 6 pin power connector all going to the card. Each with their own wire coming from the power supply. I boot and nothing. I just sit and look at black.

Throw back in the 5700 and all boots and works as normal. Am I missing something here? What dumb mistake have I forgotten?? Please help.
Are you using a riser cable or is it directly plugged into the motherboard? If using a riser, are you using a pcie4.0 cpu such as Rocket lake? If so, if your riser is not of the pcie4.0 variety, you may run in to compatibility issues.

Are you using a riser cable or is it directly plugged into the motherboard? If using a riser, are you using a pcie4.0 cpu such as Rocket lake? If so, if your riser is not of the pcie4.0 variety, you may run in to compatibility issues.
No riser board. Card is plugged directly into the first PCI slot. Using the Vision D w/ 10850K cpu. Works flawlessly with the 5700 in the same port with display port monitors. All I see is black on boot with the 6900 unless I grab a spare monitor with HDMI. Unfortunately I have no other display port monitors to test with.

Back