Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Is it the instant wake problem? i.e., if you manually put it into sleep does it wake after 12 seconds or so?

if yes, then check logs for pmset and see what is the reason. My guess is it’s wake up on usb issue. Does removing usb cable for Bluetooth fixes the issue? If all it is true then disable wake on USB and enable GPWR in SSDT and enable Patch for the same in ACPI patch section. That should fix it. Only issue is you will have to press power button to wake it. This patch enables that.
Is it the instant wake problem? i.e., if you manually put it into sleep does it wake after 12 seconds or so?

if yes, then check logs for pmset and see what is the reason. My guess is it’s wake up on usb issue. Does removing usb cable for Bluetooth fixes the issue? If all it is true then disable wake on USB and enable GPWR in SSDT and enable Patch for the same in ACPI patch section. That should fix it. Only issue is you will have to press power button to wake it. This patch enables that.
Finally I got a FV-919. The sleep problem has been solved.Everything is working fine.Thank you very much.Also thanks CaseySJ.

I'll grab a Orico LSDT M.2 NMVe USB 3.2 Gen2x2 enclosure (~USD 35) in about a month and test on my Z490 Vision D front F_U32C header and update here. I'm curious if this will provide better/smoother NVMe performance compared with certain NVMe's via TB3 ? I'll take your advise on the driver.
Maybe. I haven't done any testing. I can get 2822/2800 MB/s read/write using Thunderbolt 3 (Alpine Ridge enclosure) and 1061/1063 MB/s using USB 3.1 gen 2. I expect something like 2000 MB/s for gen 2x2.

I don't think the Z490 Vision D has a gen2x2 port. You need a Z590 or a PCIe card.

I'm curious if Apple Silcon USB4/TB ports actually have the physical support for USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or Gen4? at 40Gbps since the aggregated 40Gbps lanes obviously already work in Thunderbolt mode ?
Probably no for Gen 2x2.

I think you mean Gen3. Gen1 is 5 Gbps. Gen2 is 10 Gbps. Gen3 is 20 Gbps. USB4 has two lanes like Thunderbolt, so the total can be Gen3x2 = 40 Gbps.

We know M1 does Thunderbolt 41.25 Gbps since you can connect old Thunderbolt 3 devices.

We know M1 supports USB tunnelling because a USB 3.x device connected to a Thunderbolt 4 hub or dock which is connected to an M1 Mac will be controlled by the USB controller of the M1 Mac instead of the USB controller of the Thunderbolt 4 dock. USB tunnelling is limited to the USB speed of the M1 Mac's USB controller.

I don't think I've seen USB tunnelling from Tiger Lake or Maple Ridge but I think they can do it. Someone with those Thunderbolt controllers and a Thunderbolt 4 dock should test that.

We don't know if M1 supports USB4 40 Gbps but Apple says they support USB4 so 40 Gbps should be possible. It's slower than Thunderbolt's 41.25 Gbps. I don't think there exists any USB4 (non-Thunderbolt) devices yet so this is hard to test.

I don't think USB4 has a 40 Gbps non-tunnelling mode. The 40 Gbps (or 20 Gbps for Gen3x1) is for doing combinations of PCIe, DisplayPort, and USB 3.2 tunnelling. USB 3.2 gen 2x2 support (tunnelled or not) is optional.

I don't understand why the Z490 Vision D switches the Type-C to two different 10Mbps ACPI ports SS01 and SS02. Some of the online images/discussions state this Type-C port provides Gen 2 @ 10Mbps one side, and Gen 1 @ 5Mbps flipped the otherside - but my actual tests show 10Mbps flipped both sides to/from different ports.
I guess they cheaped out by not adding a mux to do the lane switching of USB-C to a single port? Instead, they have both sides wired and disable the one with the incorrect orientation?

I'm not sure if there exists a type-E to dual Type-C Gen 2 to test this ?
That would be interesting. Type-E to dual Type-A might be doable so you could use SS01 and SS02 at the same time but they would need to share HS01. Type-E to dual Type-C would require a couple USB-C mux and more power. But what's the point of trying to get another USB 3.x port if you're already running against the macOS 15 port limit? This probably can't work anyway, since there's probably some orientation detection that disables one of the ports.

On the Z590 Vision D this Type-E port provides Gen2x2 20Gbps from the Z590 PCH.
I understood Gen 2x2 is actually 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps lanes working together to give 20Gbps ?
Yes. Two lanes. That's why Gen2x2 can't work with Type A - because Type A only has one lane.

Keen to know your results ?
I'll get around to it one day.

Thank you ! That will be a very useful tool. I tried the script on the Z490 hack and M1 and both returned a single line: "#===========". I understand the script doesn't require any args, but depends on perl. I have Perl 5 installed. Sorry, did I miss something ?
You need pciutils installed to use pcitree.sh. If you can get lspci working then the script should work. On the Z490 or any Intel Mac running El Capitan or later, you should have debug=0x144 in the boot-args. There are instructions in the comments section below the gist.

pciutils has not been updated to work on an M1 Mac. It probably needs a new DirectHW.kext with code to support the multiple PCI segments of the M1. The M1 Mac has very few PCI devices. There's one PCI segment for one Thunderbolt port and another segment for the other Thunderbolt port and a third segment for wlan, bluetooth, USB, and ethernet (the latter two only exist on M1 Mac mini and M1 iMac). Three segments means three devices with the same PCI bus:device.function can exist (for example, there are three devices having PCI address 00:00.0). I would like to make a DirectHW.kext that works on PowerPC, Intel, and M1 Macs.

Sure; please run MaciASL and select File --> New from ACPI --> DMAR. Save it and post it!

View attachment 523886
Can we just use our system DMAR in SSDT-DMAR our do we have to add some specific code ? The z590 Vision D DMAR is a bit shorter than the z490 Vision D version. Also what does SSDT-DMAC do?

Update on my setup and 2 issues I am currently facing on Big Sur 11.5 (20G70) and Monterey 12.0 public ß2 (21A5284e).
Booting through OC 0.71 from Mini Guide (after USBInjectAll issue fixed) AMD IntelWireless WIFI.

- On Big Sur Wifi and both Ethernet ports are working BUT No Bluetooth available.
- On Monterey Wifi and Ethernet port are working BUT no Bluetooth and no i225-V Ethernet port available.

I have triple checked everything in the config.list and need your input as I don't have clue anymore to solve it out.
Most likely a small thing I missed....
Thanks in advance as usual :)

If you boot Windows at all then that will inject its own firmware to the Bluetooth chip. The only way to clear it is a cold boot (turn power off / pull power cable for 10 seconds)

You also need bluetoolfixup.kext and then set up min and max versions in your config.plist for the, now, 3 bluetooth kexts. 1 is common between Big Sur and Monterey but the other 2 are mutually exclusive to each other.

If you boot Windows at all then that will inject its own firmware to the Bluetooth chip. The only way to clear it is a cold boot (turn power off / pull power cable for 10 seconds)

You also need bluetoolfixup.kext and then set up min and max versions in your config.plist for the, now, 3 bluetooth kexts. 1 is common between Big Sur and Monterey but the other 2 are mutually exclusive to each other.

Thanks a lot @Ploddles !
I think this is a real interesting contribution and for me a major improvement.
Although I follow this topic everyday I did not see these finding anywhere so far.

To sum up:
- I run OC 0.71 AMDgraphic card IntelWIFI from Mini guide CaseySJ without any changes.
- I have Windows installed on a separate disk, neither the one where BS is installed, nor the one where Monterey is installed. BS and Monterey are of course on 2 separate disks too.
- With this setup WIFI is OK, but BT is not working on BS, BT and Ethernet2 are not working on Monterey.

After a cold startup AND a reset of NVRAM:
- I can get BT on BS and on Monterey. WIFI remains OK.
- Ethernet2 is still not working on Monterey.

I can easily switch between BS and Monterey without cold start and reset NVRAM. My BT is maintained on both OS but Ethernet 2 obviously still doe not work on Monterey.
If then I open a Windows session, I'll need to go back to cold start and reset NVRAM to be back to working BT.

I don't have enough skills to consider if Windows if a potential culprit for being unable to get working Ethernet2, even with a cold start and a reset NVRAM.

I will of course be very much interested to get @CaseySJ feeling and maybe some additional recommendations in his initial topic.
Once again thanks to everyone for your shares and input !

@MacArthur,

The Ethernet2 problem in Monterey is happening to me as well (i225-V port). Haven’t found a solution yet.

Maybe someone that does not have this problem in Monterey can post their EFI folder with serial numbers removed from PlatformInfo. Then we can check for differences.

Can we just use our system DMAR in SSDT-DMAR our do we have to add some specific code ? The z590 Vision D DMAR is a bit shorter than the z490 Vision D version. Also what does SSDT-DMAC do?
We can use our own SSDT-DMAR? But we should remove all FixedRegion sections. I posted an example couple weeks ago (currently replying on iPhone so let me know if you cannot find it).

@MacArthur,

The Ethernet2 problem in Monterey is happening to me as well (i225-V port). Haven’t found a solution yet.

Maybe someone that does not have this problem in Monterey can post their EFI folder with serial numbers removed from PlatformInfo. Then we can check for differences.

Thanks again !
Were you aware that Windows, although on a separate disk, can interfere with working BT, needing a cold start and NVRAM reset?

Do I understand correctly that DMAR/AppleVTD is an option to enable Thunderbolt networking for "ICM mode" Thunderbolt since modern real Macs include "Extended Mode" Thunderbolt, which quietly include Thunderbolt Networking, AVB.. within their Thunderbolt mechanics so don't need or include AppleVTD ? My M1 Mac doesn't have AppleVTD, but all Thunderbolt Networking, AVB etc works.

Thx Jeff
Hello Jeff,

While Apple’s Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter just requires AppleVTD, Thunderbolt Networking requires Thunderbolt Bus, which is enabled on Titan Ridge by flashing the firmware.

I was looking at the documentation for "IntelMausi 1.0.7" that ships with @CaseySJ OC 71 release and it states:
  • Added force WOL support (mausi-force-wol device property or -mausiwol boot argument)
Does this mean I can rock a boot arg on NVRAM->Add->boot-args within OpenCore Configurator and not need to recompile this for WOL support???

Thanks!

Back