Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Just managed to install Monterey Public Beta on my Asus X99 Deluxe II -- after nearly 5 hours of tinkering.

Some lessons learned:
  • Best to upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.1 and latest Kexts.
  • Turn off Bluetooth in BIOS (there is an option that just enables or disables Bluetooth).
    • This took a while to figure out.
  • Remove all previously used kernel patches from OpenCore's Kernel --> Patch section and just enable the AppleXcpmExtraMsrs kernel quirk.
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled (not Default).
  • Set LauncherOption to Disabled (from Miscellaneous --> Boot section of config.plist).
    • Then reboot and Reset NVRAM before starting the upgrade (very important)
    • Then boot back into current macOS (Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur)
    • Now begin the upgrade

What doesn't work:
  • Intel i211 Ethernet port driven by SmallTreeIntel82576 does not connect
  • Will enable Bluetooth shortly and see if system can (a) boot and (b) Bluetooth can connect

View attachment 523725
Good to see older Intel hardware live on on the Mac. Like my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. With full Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on Monterey(powered by opencore). Apple just needs to keep the usb bus from power gating during sleep.

Speaking of older hardware, I wonder:

- Will Microsoft relent on its Intel 8th gen and up requirement for Windows 11 or will a patch be available for older hardware?

- How will the future hybrid processors from Intel and AMD work with the macOS kernel… which is optimized for ARM big.Little but not (as far as we know) the x86 version?

Only time will tell!

Last edited:
Good to see Intel hardware live on on the Mac.

Speaking of older hardware, I wonder:

- Will Microsoft relent on its Intel 8th gen and up requirement for Windows 11 or will a patch be available for older hardware?

- How will the future hybrid processors from Intel and AMD work with the macOS kernel… which is optimized for ARM big.Little but not (as far as we know) the x86 version?

Only time will tell!
Both good questions. But it does seem that older components are rapidly being phased out. And drivers for some current-generation components (e.g. i225-V) are misbehaving.

Both good questions. But it does seem that older components are rapidly being phased out. And drivers for some current-generation components (e.g. i225-V) are misbehaving.
Yeah.

I feel like macOS is in perpetual beta, I mean 11.5 is literally still in beta, we didn’t get AMD6000 series support until 11.4., Catalina was a mess at least on my box until 10.15.6 or so, and now we have 12.0 beta with some really bad bugs causing kernel panics even on real macs.

I hope they fix things.

Incidentally, I've moved my Asus X99 post here:

hello @CaseySJ
I find my HEVC does not work on 11.4. Could you please tell me how to resolve this problem? And I notice an issue that the sound and picures of some videos are out of sync, which I think is related to HEVC.
this is screenshot:
WX20210705-173305.png

@CaseySJ here’s some more info on the i225-v issue: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/213

I will try this later, but apparently we need to:
  • 1. Disable FakePCIID.kext and FakePCDID_Intel_i225-V.kext in config.plist,
  • 2. remove everything concerning i225 in DeviceProperties/Add/PciRoot...
  • 3. add "dk.e1000=0" (without quotes) to boot-args.
Also, apparently enabling Vt-d without the opencore patch disableiomapper (such that AppleVTd loads) on gigabyte boards for some reason breaks Wi-Fi and some network adapters (except the iPhone USB adapter, I also haven’t tried an aquantia adapter in this setup).

@CaseySJ here’s some more info on the i225-v issue: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/213

I will try this later, but apparently we need to:
  • 1. Disable FakePCIID.kext and FakePCDID_Intel_i225-V.kext in config.plist,
  • 2. remove everything concerning i225 in DeviceProperties/Add/PciRoot...
  • 3. add "dk.e1000=0" (without quotes) to boot-args.
I saw that yesterday and will also try it shortly. Item 3 makes me wonder if speed will drop to 1Gbps or whether that argument prevents the 1GbE driver from attaching instead of AppleIntelEthernet210.

I saw that yesterday and will also try it shortly. Item 3 makes me wonder if speed will drop to 1Gbps or whether that argument prevents the 1GbE driver from attaching instead of AppleIntelEthernet210.
Good question. Only way to know is to be an empiricist and test.

Good question. Only way to know is to be an empiricist and test.
Alas it did not work for me (Monterey), but others should still try:

Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 5.04.25 AM.png

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

I just finished building my son a vision G model, using your EFI Folder for the Vision G, and these instructions. Looks like everything is working except the audio. Not sure what is wrong, but maybe you can shed some light on this. I have attached my EFi folder and my IO Reg report for you to study. Please let me know where I went wrong.

I was hoping that using the instructions and your EFI folder setup, I would not have any problems. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Hardware in build is as follows:

Gigabyte Vision G Z490 Motherboard
Intel I5-10600K Processor
32GB DDR4 Ram running at 3200 MHz
AMD Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8Gb Video Card
250G WD Black m.2 drive
750 Watt Apexgaming modular power supply

Oh, by the way, I also built myself the Vision D model about a year ago using this guide and your EFI folder and it works like a champ, no problems whatsoever. That's why I am puzzled that my son's vision G has no sound. Hopefully you can help and let me know what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Attachments

• Chris’s iMac.ioreg
    12.1 MB · Views: 58
  • EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.57.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.57.34 AM.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.58.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 10.58.06 AM.png