Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Perfect, yes, thanks. Re the 6800XT. I expect my build to arrive mid June. Fingers crossed, at which time a full release of 11.4 should be out! I'm gonna change those Samsungs to save the hassle. Thanks for that info!
Hi @CaseySJ, So my order is finally ready for dispatch! They don't have the Z490 VISION G motherboard available and are offering the Intel® Z490 AORUS ULTRA as an alternative. Do you see any issues with this board or any notable points on this? many thanks

Hi @CaseySJ, So my order is finally ready for dispatch! They don't have the Z490 VISION G motherboard available and are offering the Intel® Z490 AORUS ULTRA as an alternative. Do you see any issues with this board or any notable points on this? many thanks
Hello @alexjibcam,

The Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra should be just fine. Some changes to the OpenCore configuration will be needed:
  • New USB port map will have to created (link to procedure)
  • PCI paths in Device Properties section will need to be updated (easy to do)
  • If the Aorus Ultra has a BIOS setting for Serial Port, it will need to be Disabled
  • If the Aorus Ultra has a BIOS setting for CFG-Lock, it will also need to be Disabled

Hello @alexjibcam,

The Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra should be just fine. Some changes to the OpenCore configuration will be needed:
  • New USB port map will have to created (link to procedure)
  • PCI paths in Device Properties section will need to be updated (easy to do)
  • If the Aorus Ultra has a BIOS setting for Serial Port, it will need to be Disabled
  • If the Aorus Ultra has a BIOS setting for CFG-Lock, it will also need to be Disabled
Many thanks. It will prob still be a couple of weeks until I have it in my hands but sure I'll be in touch again then.....fingers crossed I won't!

Hi @CaseySJ

After reading your suggestion (and Vit9696's, too) about the TRIM and the NVMe's choices, I bought a new WDC Black NVMe SN750 and tried to copy all my boot disk (namely "Mac") Samsung 970 Pro to it.

I used CCC 6.x but, as you can see from the image attached, it didn't exactly reproduce the partitions' structure of the source disk because there is no "Mac - Data" and no "com.apple.os.update (the snapshots partition). What did I make wrong?

Indeed, even if I copied the EFI partition with OC from source to destination, OC didn't find anything bootable.
You should try Superduper's new beta3 cloner instead. It seems to offer a better copy of the Big Sur disk image than CCC.

Is anyone else experiencing random skips in their audio with a USB interface? There doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can tell, but occasionally I get skipping audio, either when watching a video (in VLC for example) or editing (Premiere Pro/Davinci Resolve). It only seems to happen with my audio interface (Apogee Duet 2) so I think it might be a USB issue. The video doesn't skip, just the audio. Doesn't seem to happen when I have my headphones plugged directly into the computer either.

Is anyone else experiencing random skips in their audio with a USB interface? There doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can tell, but occasionally I get skipping audio, either when watching a video (in VLC for example) or editing (Premiere Pro/Davinci Resolve). It only seems to happen with my audio interface (Apogee Duet 2) so I think it might be a USB issue. The video doesn't skip, just the audio. Doesn't seem to happen when I have my headphones plugged directly into the computer either.
It may be a good idea to review this Best Practices guide for USB audio devices:

Nothing to report here, I spend 8+ hours a day on my system with sound being send to an RME ADI-2 Pro (USB2.0) and haven’t had any audio skipping.

edit: after reading @CaseySJ ’s post above, I should note that my audio
Interface is plugged into the motherboard directly on a USB2.0 only port.

Last edited:
Please, try to set fixed 100.00 MHz (not "Auto") your "CPU Base Clock" in BIOS:

It may be a good idea to review this Best Practices guide for USB audio devices:

Thanks Casey, I’ll have a read of that.

Nothing to report here, I spend 8+ hours a day on my system with sound being send to an RME ADI-2 Pro (USB2.0) and haven’t had any audio skipping.

edit: after reading @CaseySJ ’s post above, I should note that my audio
Interface is plugged into the motherboard directly on a USB2.0 only port.
My interface is plugged into the motherboard, however it’s in a USB3 port. I’ll try one of the USB2 ports.

Please, try to set fixed 100.00 MHz (not "Auto") your "CPU Base Clock" in BIOS:
Thanks for this. I’ve made that change in the BIOS and will see how I get on. Fingers crossed!

@CaseySJ, Because of the current issues that my Asus B560-F keeps giving in regards to sound etc, i purchased a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D which is the exact same board as yours. When this arrives would i just be be able to copy your EFI in and all should be good. I would also like to use my i7 11700K cpu in there as it cost me alot to buy and do not want to buy another cpu. I have a few questions
1. What changes will need to be made to your EFI for this CPU
2. Would i have IGPU or should i still use the AMD RX580 for graphics
3. I see this board has S/PDIF for sound out as well- would this work connected to my Samsung TV
4. The board takes 3 x M.2 Drives, Can i use a M+B Key M.2 in here?

Thank You

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.54.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Back