Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Reactions: nss
Getting ready to get back into this and update from OC 0.6.1 to 0.7.0. for my audio workstation.
Still on Catalina with nvidia GT710 GPU. (not intending to update to Big Sur)

0.6.1 is the last I was following this thread.... are there any pitfalls/major changes I should watch out for?

Wifi and Bluetooth are working now - that's awesome.

Is there still thermal issues with Samsung M.2 SSD's (been using a EVO Plus without issues for past 8 months but yeah its controller gets hot!).

Is the CPU temps load line calibration already in 0.7.0 download?

Any other things I should watch out for?

thanks

"And one more thing..."

I STRONGLY recommend to set "CPU Base Clock" ("Tweaker" page in BIOS Setup) to 100.00 MHz, NOT "Auto".
With "Auto" setting my system starts with base clock "99.95" MHz (you can check it in "System Info" in your BIOS Setup) and I have some issues (clicks, "digital noise" like "sound of a broken synthesizer", etc.) with my USB audio interface, because the CPU base clock clock (I don't know why) affects the audio sampling process in USB devices. I think, macOS uses CPU base clock for USB audio interfaces syncronization.

Some information about bus clock or "CPU Base Clock", from Clover documentation:
BusSpeedkHz
<key>BusSpeedkHz</key>
<string>133330</string>
Bus speed in kHz. Very important value for a stable system. It is passed from the boot loader to the kernel. If this value is not correct, the kernel will not start at all. If it is slightly incorrect, clock issues may arise and the system will behave in a strange way.
(c) https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/wiki/CPU/

On my very-old system in 2010-2012 (Core 2 Duo) I had the same issues with USB audio interface, I fixed them by setting this parameter correctly in Clover config.

For those who want to run Windows 11, you must enable Intel Platform Trust Technology in the Gigabyte BIOS. Secure Boot doesn't appear to be needed at this time.

For those who want to run windows 11, you must enable Intel Platform Trust Technology in the gigabyte BIOS... secure boot doesn't appear to be needed at this time.
I’m still wondering if there’s any consequence for my macOS after enabling Intel PTT for TPM 2.0.

Hey all,

A long time ago there were some posts about screen resolution being a bit strange - low resolution at the macOS login screen, then jumping to the correct resolution during the login process.

Back then, I had my 4k monitor connected by HDMI and had this issue.

I recently bought a second 4k monitor (identical to my existing monitor - an LG 27UL850-W) and migrated both monitors to use the DisplayPort cable, using the two ports on my 5500XT nearest the HDMI port. (It has 3 * DP and 1 * HDMI.)

For some strange reason, this has cured the "low resolution at login" problem I had before.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour, and why would this change the system's behaviour?

Cheers,
V
Hey all, wanted to close the loop on the above post from @CamoViking and confirm that using DisplayPort cables instead of HDMI fixes the OpenCore crappy resolution problem I was having as well. I suspect there's some resolution handshake within OpenCore failing for HDMI that works for DisplayPort with at least some monitors. For what it's worth, I have LG 28UK850-W which is likely pretty similar to yours...

Thanks for the solution!

I’m still wondering if there’s any consequence for my macOS after enabling Intel PTT for TPM 2.0.
None that I could find. macOS seemingly works just fine with PTT on.

I managed to both install (from usb) and boot Mojave on Z490 Vision D with i9 10850K.
Use iMac19,1 as SystemProductName and for Emulate area (i9 9900K):View attachment 509377
Hi mikonmac, I have been trying to get Mojave on my Z490 system, without any luck. Could you share your EFI folder without config serial of course? Just can't get it to boot to install Mojave. Thanks.

None that I could find. macOS seemingly works just fine with PTT on.
Thanks both macOS and Windows work normally after enabling Intel PTT, and my Z370 build now fulfills the Windows 11 system requirements, indicated by Microsoft PC Health Check app.

Back