Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Agreed, Apple is definitely moving on. I'm hearing that Apple is limiting certain features in Monterey to Apple Silicon Macs only: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/09/macos-monterey-features-for-m1-macs-only/

• Portrait Mode blurred backgrounds in FaceTime videos
  • Live Text for copying and pasting, looking up, or translating text within photos
  • An interactive 3D globe of Earth in the Maps app
  • More detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London in the Maps app
  • Text-to-speech in more languages, including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Finnish
  • On-device keyboard dictation that performs all processing completely offline
  • Unlimited keyboard dictation (previously limited to 60 seconds per instance)

<cut - pasted below>

The features mentioned in the MacRumors article that will be limited to M1 are pretty insignificant, but it seems that Apple has started down the path in bifurcating the x86 build of macOS from the ARM build. And it's kind of worrying thinking about what else will be on the cutting room floor for x86 in the next few iterations of macOS. Especially since I don't know what's so special about M1 that it can get "more detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, etc." but x86 Macs (including the potential new Ice Lake Mac Pro) won't.
Some features that depend on exclusive capabilities such as the Neural Engine, for example, make sense to be limited to Apple Silicon. I am also puzzled by "more detailed maps" being exclusive to Apple Silicon, but have to admit I don't know what underlying processor capabilities are being used for this. Alas it's not a malicious thing they do because they should take full advantage of their own processors. And Apple Silicon owners deserve nothing less.

Because the future for macOS is Apple Silicon, I think all of us will eventually convert. For me the tipping point has not yet arrived. I may be swayed by M1X or M2, however.

It would be nice to get some drivers for the newer Intel tech... but why would someone spend thousands on a new Intel-based Mac Pro that likely won't get all of the OS's new features?
There are professional workflows that still depend on Intel or x86 architecture. But I suspect the market for a next-generation Intel Mac Pro is not that large.

Hi, Casey,

Any further thoughts on this?
The CommanderProFix kernel extension works simply by blacklisting ioupsd, which means it prevents this particular daemon process from running. So technically it was not necessary to post the IORegistryExplorer screenshot.

Instead, please type ps -ef | grep ioupsd | grep -v grep in Terminal and see if you get a response. If there is no response, it means the daemon is not running (the last letter in the name, 'd', refers to 'daemon'), which is what we want to see.

When I read that article, yesterday, I thought of you. Do I have to be worried...? lol

Don't call me expert by any means, but have you connected the USB header of the GC?
I have connected it , All two USB 2.0 on board have been tried,by the way ,when I switch to windows,sound still not working.

What's confusing is that,when GC connect to a ultrafine 4K,sound ,brightness adjustment worked.

thanks for your help.

Hello @chenxiwei1u,

The 2019 UltraFine 5K, I believe, is the latest model that contains Titan Ridge on board and supports USB-C Alt Mode. This particular model may be more difficult to use with a Hackintosh. It may be a good idea to flash the GC-Titan Ridge firmware, but there are no guarantees that on-board devices will work. We just have to try different things.

I would also recommend searching this thread for “UltraFine” or looking at the Quick Reference spoiler in Post 1 for links to some UltraFine posts in this thread.

If anyone has a 2019 UltraFine 5K with a GC-Titan Ridge, please chime in…
Thanks a lot ,I will continue to search and study!

@CaseySJ, I can confirm that my hack is not sleeping at all.
I've tried everything that I can think about.

How can I debug this process?
Please see the Sleep Aid:
Also note that the number one cause of sleep issues is USB. Process of elimination should be used to identify the offending device.

The CommanderProFix kernel extension works simply by blacklisting ioupsd, which means it prevents this particular daemon process from running. So technically it was not necessary to post the IORegistryExplorer screenshot.

Instead, please type ps -ef | grep ioupsd | grep -v grep in Terminal and see if you get a response. If there is no response, it means the daemon is not running (the last letter in the name, 'd', refers to 'daemon'), which is what we want to see.

Thanks for that.

This is my output.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 22.06.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 22.06.25.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for that.

This is my output.
Ouch, looks like ioupsd is running, which is not good. I see you've already contacted the developer of CommanderProFix. Probably best to post your EFI configuration using HackinDROM App according to this:
Please see spoiler Create Report Archive.

Hey, why has my post been removed?

Back