Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Errr... I opened OpenCore Configurator but couldn't find the Aquarian Patch in the list...
Is there somewhere I can get it ?
Sorry guys, superNoob here...
Please post a screenshot of the OpenCore Configurator window where the patch should have been.

There is hope!!
When I read that article, yesterday, I thought of you. Do I have to be worried...? lol

Hi @CaseySJ

I used RX 6800 + GC titan ridge rev1.0(unflashed firmware,nvm50) + Ultrafine5K(2019) +BigSur 11.4+model(20,1)

After reading the progress bar, the screen will be black for a period of time, After entering the system, check the system report, and the display card 6800 will appear after a few seconds, and the sound, camera and brightness adjustment not worked

What should be modified in EFI file,I would appriciate for your help, thanks for your great work!
Don't call me expert by any means, but have you connected the USB header of the GC?

There is hope!!
Very interesting if Apple releases another Intel-based Mac Pro. If Apple does indeed go with Ice Lake, that would be an odd choice... unless Apple can't yet manufacture enough high-core count Apple Silicon chips to go inside of the Mac Pro.

With the advances coming from Intel, like Sapphire Rapids, and Meteor Lake that will come with pcie5.0 and ddr5, makes you wonder why Apple would use Ice Lake, but then completely abandon Intel... when Intel seems to be slowly coming back.

Also, the new Tiger Lake-H 8-core chips perform quite well, but their power efficiency relative to M1 sucks. Last time Apple dumped its CPU supplier (IBM), that platform became irrelevant. But this time Apple has dumped x86, but I don't see x86 becoming irrelevant. AMD and Intel are innovating, and we'll see how Alder Lake performs with its big.Little approach, and rumored 20 percent uplift in IPC (over Tiger Lake I believe).

It would be incredibly ironic if Intel starts producing high performant chips again (I'm talking about Meteor Lake and Lunar Lake and beyond) that exceed Apple Silicon in performance, putting Mac users at a disadvantage... wishing that Apple and Intel could make up. And of course, AMD Zen4 seems like it will be a beast.

One thing that will always remain true is that hindsight is 20/20. The next few years will be very interesting! Let's see in 5 years if the decision to abandon x86 was the "right" decision.

To confirm this, please boot into macOS and mount the EFI partition of the Windows SSD. Then expand the folders in that partition and post a screenshot.

And to check if the OpenCore EFI has been contaminated, mount the EFI partition of the macOS SSD. Then expand the folders in only the "EFI" folder and post a screenshot.

(Screenshots are captured by pressing CMD-Shift-5, which will save them to desktop.)

here it is ... this is the structure of the Windows' SSD seen from OC. I cannot enter in those partitions. (1 attach)

and then MacOS EFI (OpenCore 0.6.9) structure.

Shouldn't EFI Windows be of 200Mb and not 16Mb? is this the error?

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-06-09 alle 17.59.30.jpeg
    Schermata 2021-06-09 alle 17.59.30.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 18.25.36.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 18.25.36.png
    555.8 KB · Views: 48
here it is ... this is the structure of the Windows' SSD seen from OC. I cannot enter in those partitions. (1 attach)

and then MacOS EFI (OpenCore 0.6.9) structure.

Shouldn't EFI Windows be of 200Mb and not 16Mb? is this the error?
These screenshots show the following:
  • Windows SSD does not have an EFI partition. Windows is most likely using Master Boot Record on its own SSD.
    • This is why I recommend formatting the Windows disk in macOS using Disk Utility, because that creates an EFI partition for us when we set Scheme to GUID Partition Map.
  • OpenCore EFI has not been contaminated. This is a good sign.
Therefore:
  • If OpenCore was able to show both Windows and macOS boot volumes in the past, what changes or updates have taken place since?

Therefore:
  • If OpenCore was able to show both Windows and macOS boot volumes in the past, what changes or updates have taken place since?

I've just discovered that 2 out of 5 SATA HDD/SSD had troubles with SATA cables (lots of CRC errors). Now all the cables are brand new and no more errors. Windows SSD was not in trouble but maybe something happened to SATA chain, I believe.

I reformatted under MacOS Disk Utility the Windows SSD in NTFS (with the help of Tuxera) and Guid partition scheme, so now I have 1 EFI (200MB) partition and 1 NTFS (250GB) empty partition. Tomorrow I will re-install windows in _that_ NTFS partition, and I hope everything will go for good.

Very interesting if Apple releases another Intel-based Mac Pro. If Apple does indeed go with Ice Lake, that would be an odd choice... unless Apple can't yet manufacture enough high-core count Apple Silicon chips to go inside of the Mac Pro.

With the advances coming from Intel, like Sapphire Rapids, and Meteor Lake that will come with pcie5.0 and ddr5, makes you wonder why Apple would use Ice Lake, but then completely abandon Intel... when Intel seems to be slowly coming back.

Also, the new Tiger Lake-H 8-core chips perform quite well, but their power efficiency relative to M1 sucks. Last time Apple dumped its CPU supplier (IBM), that platform became irrelevant. But this time Apple has dumped x86, but I don't see x86 becoming irrelevant. AMD and Intel are innovating, and we'll see how Alder Lake performs with its big.Little approach, and rumored 20 percent uplift in IPC (over Tiger Lake I believe).

It would be incredibly ironic if Intel starts producing high performant chips again (I'm talking about Meteor Lake and Lunar Lake and beyond) that exceed Apple Silicon in performance, putting Mac users at a disadvantage... wishing that Apple and Intel could make up. And of course, AMD Zen4 seems like it will be a beast.

One thing that will always remain true is that hindsight is 20/20. The next few years will be very interesting! Let's see in 5 years if the decision to abandon x86 was the "right" decision.
When Apple announced the transition to Apple Silicon one year ago at WWDC 2020, they did so with a fully developed roadmap. There's no turning back, but the transition of some models may be delayed due to continuing chip supply shortages affecting TSMC and other foundries. There's a water supply shortage in Taiwan (the typhoon season hasn't started) and a small resurgence in COVID.

I would like to see a new Intel-based Mac Pro. Ice Lake SP (Xeon) is fine. What really matters, I suppose, is whether the new Mac Pro will feature Maple Ridge and any other devices/drivers that we can leverage in the Hackintosh world.

When Apple announced the transition to Apple Silicon one year ago at WWDC 2020, they did so with a fully developed roadmap. There's no turning back, but the transition of some models may be delayed due to continuing chip supply shortages affecting TSMC and other foundries. There's a water supply shortage in Taiwan (the typhoon season hasn't started) and a small resurgence in COVID.

I would like to see a new Intel-based Mac Pro. Ice Lake SP (Xeon) is fine. What really matters, I suppose, is whether the new Mac Pro will feature Maple Ridge and any other devices/drivers that we can leverage in the Hackintosh world.
Agreed, Apple is definitely moving on. I'm hearing that Apple is limiting certain features in Monterey to Apple Silicon Macs only: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/09/macos-monterey-features-for-m1-macs-only/

• Portrait Mode blurred backgrounds in FaceTime videos
  • Live Text for copying and pasting, looking up, or translating text within photos
  • An interactive 3D globe of Earth in the Maps app
  • More detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London in the Maps app
  • Text-to-speech in more languages, including Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Finnish
  • On-device keyboard dictation that performs all processing completely offline
  • Unlimited keyboard dictation (previously limited to 60 seconds per instance)

It would be nice to get some drivers for the newer Intel tech... but why would someone spend thousands on a new Intel-based Mac Pro that likely won't get all of the OS's new features?

The features mentioned in the MacRumors article that will be limited to M1 are pretty insignificant, but it seems that Apple has started down the path in bifurcating the x86 build of macOS from the ARM build. And it's kind of worrying thinking about what else will be on the cutting room floor for x86 in the next few iterations of macOS. Especially since I don't know what's so special about M1 that it can get "more detailed maps in cities like San Francisco, etc." but x86 Macs (including the potential new Ice Lake Mac Pro) won't.

Last edited:
Back