Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello @BurtRichalds,

Some questions/comments:
  • Does the grey screen occur when system has been idle for a few minutes and is preparing to sleep?
  • Or does it occur even when you are actively using the system?
  • Has this problem always been present, or did it begin recently?
  • We generally discourage the use of WD SN750 NVMe SSDs due to some user-reported issues, but if the problem started recently after many months of smooth sailing, then we can rule out the SN 750.
Suggestions:
  • Try disabling NVMeFix.kext from OpenCore config.plist
  • Check memory. There's a free version of MemTest86 here. There are other alternatives that can be found by googling.
The grey screen appears while using the computer, I haven’t fully setup the USB MAP/having issues with a couple External drives so I don’t have the computer enter sleep or even screen saver mode.

I will try the disabling the Kext, as I’ve chatted in another forum and some people also think it might be the NVME drive causing issues. I got the WD because I couldn’t get a Samsung at the time and people where saying it really didn’t matter. But will look into maybe correcting that as well.

Did you install macOS from scratch or did you migrate a previous system?
I have a clean install and a migration from a TM on top of that.

Did you use "Migration Assistant" to move any files from a previous system to the new system?
Yes.

Which version of macOS are you running?

Did you follow the build guide in Post 1? Or did you use some other guide?
Just this post. End to end. I just download the EFI folder from the post and apply it.

What is the make/model of your WiFi/BT card?
The onboard one. Intel. I didn't find any converter for my BCM94360NG to apply.

I have a clean install and a migration from a TM on top of that.

Yes.

Just this post. End to end. I just download the EFI folder from the post and apply it.

The onboard one. Intel. I didn't find any converter for my BCM94360NG to apply.
When we import an old system using Migration Assistant, we risk introducing reliability problems -- particularly if the old system has been in use for several years and hence it has accumulated a fair bit of 'baggage'.

Recommendation:
  • Perform a fresh installation of Catalina.
  • Do not use Migration Assistant.
  • Follow the build procedure in Post 1.
  • If you wish to use Intel WiFi/BT module, refer to the Intel Wireless mini-guide. The EFI in that guide is pre-configured for using the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module.
  • When installation is completed, log in to iCloud, but do not use Migration Assistant and do not install 'heavy-weight' third-party apps.
  • Instead, test sleep/wake. If everything works, make a full bootable backup (see Step 13 in Post 1). This will be your "restore point" if things fail in the future.
  • Now install your apps manually one or two at a time and keep testing sleep/wake. You will need to enter license codes again.
  • You can also copy all your documents and media manually from the old system without using Migration Assistant. If the old files/folders are on a hard drive, connect that drive to the new system and use Finder to copy documents and media files to the new system.
  • Test sleep/wake again.

• Instead, test sleep/wake. If everything works, make a full bootable backup (see Step 13 in Post 1). This will be your "restore point" if things fail in the future.
That's what I've done, I've tested the basic functions when I install the first time. I've run it and tested it with dual dGPUs for two days. No, didn't work when I have a fresh install.

You can also copy all your documents and media manually from the old system without using Migration Assistant. If the old files/folders are on a hard drive, connect that drive to the new system and use Finder to copy documents and media files to the new system.
Can I extract them from Time Machine?

Test sleep/wake again.
Okay, I've my instructions. I will apply this weekend. Thank you for your help! You are a Guide as always.

That's what I've done, I've tested the basic functions when I install the first time. I've run it and tested it with dual dGPUs for two days. No, didn't work when I have a fresh install.
Does sleep/wake work if only the AMD GPU is installed?

Can I extract them from Time Machine?
I have never done this so I don't know what level of control Time Machine provides. If it allows you to restore only your documents and media files, then you can try it. But make a full bootable backup before running Time Machine Restore.

Does sleep/wake work if only the AMD GPU is installed?
Actually, it is disabled on OC but, I've tried it removed, and didn't work.

I have never done this so I don't know what level of control Time Machine provides. If it allows you to restore only your documents and media files, then you can try it. But make a full bootable backup before running Time Machine Restore.
I'll keep it in mind.

Do you have any suggestions for me to use my BCM94360NG with this board? I'm still confused with so many options.

Greetings! I am following this build and have gotten stuck on the install.

My components:
GA Z490 Vision G bios F7
i7 10700
Sabrent Rocket SSD 1TB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 gb
Fenvi T919
Corsair RM750x

I followed the guide and when I got to the install of Mac OS it was stuck on the Apple logo
with the progress bar at 50% and never went past that point. I have already installed Windows 10 to an SSD in a SATA port.
I left it in during my first few install attempts, then removed it from the case and tried again.
My EFI is attached.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 51

My components:
GA Z490 Vision G bios F7
i7 10700
Sabrent Rocket SSD 1TB
Fenvi T919
Corsair RM750x

I followed the guide and when I got to the install of Mac OS it was stuck on the Apple logo
with the progress bar at 50% and never went past that point. I have already installed Windows 10 to an SSD in a SATA port.
I left it in during my first few install attempts, then removed it from the case and tried again.
My EFI is attached.

Thanks for any ideas!
so you can update your hardware profile please:

My components:
GA Z490 Vision G bios F7
i7 10700
Sabrent Rocket SSD 1TB
Fenvi T919
Corsair RM750x

My EFI is attached.

Thanks for any ideas!
Hello @Arron,

Some comments:
  • It is better to install macOS first, and then Windows, so that the Windows boot loader is installed in its own EFI partition. Please see this in Post 1:
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 8.41.57 AM.png

• Please double-check BIOS parameters. Ensure that Serial Port is disabled and CFG-Lock is also disabled.
  • If problem persists, press and release CMD-Vat the OpenCore Picker and then select the install disk. This will enable boot logs.
    • When the boot logs freeze, take a photo and (a) remove location information from the photo, and (b) size it down to about 2MB, then post.

Back